Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Are Warlocks Still 'Fun' In Beta?

I have been doing a lot of reading here and on the official beta forums and I get more and more disappointed with the changes. I had the fullest intention to main my warlock come Warlords but I just don't know. I spend equal time raiding and running arena's and I do quite well in both. Warlock is essentially the only caster I have ever played seriously (I do have an elemental and boomkin), and while we have never been the most mobile we have never been completely static either but from what I gather we and casters in general are just that. My major concerns are affliction becoming painfully dull and completely worthless outside of single-target fights and possibly PvP. Destruction becoming even more boring than it already is. So my question is are warlocks still actually fun? I could careless about numbers tuning at this point.

I really don't find it fun anymore. I find myself constantly hitting buttons only to realize I don't have that ability anymore, leading to one of four outcomes:

-I ignore the problem
    -I run away
    -I die
    -I use some other, more clumsy, method

I know the whole 'dumbed down' thing gets thrown around every time a change is made to anything, but that's pretty much how it'd describe it. I feel like I lost all my utility.
    How I waste my time: Biter Comics

Boring seems to be the name of the game for just about every spec and class in WoD. This problem isn't exclusive to Warlocks.

They justin beibered warlocks in MoP, and it's getting worse in WoD.

Yeah, I'd go to another class, seriously. Warlocks in WoD are just not fun.

I'm not talking viability - they seem decent in that regard, at least for PvE (they're already not fantastic in PvP at the moment on live) but the class feels extremely bland. I'm not talking just a little bland AKA "they removed some buttons that I hit during fights", I'm talking extremely bland. It feels like the entire class's design was just hackneyed into some kind of half-assed mush of a class.

I have always loved this class and it's been my favorite since classic but when I play it on WoD beta I just feel like I'd rather be playing any other caster. It's either go demo or go to sleep on your keyboard.
    Last edited by Irian; 2014-08-27 at 05:31 AM.

Not fun.

PvP: Aff still relies heavily on having a pet healer. Great for arena (and will probably remain so), horrible for wpvp, random bgs, 1v1, everything. Destro, obviously horrible. They've given it the TBC hunter treatment of having no lockdown and long casts for everything. Demo, as usual, has the weaknesses of aff.

PvE: Meh. It's less fun. Then again, we knew it was going to be less fun.

Played a warlock since TBC. First xpac that I'm considering rerolling for. Balance druid is turning out really fun.

That's what I'm feeling, warlock's vast arsenal is what really made them interesting for me, and affliction has always been my favorite spec. I abhor turret style gameplay, it's just lame, and from what I've read the WoD raids are even more movement intensive than MoP. I think there may be some serious communication issues among the design teams. That aside warlocks have been smashed as far as PvP goes and I cannot see it changing in any significant way until at least 6.1 and who knows how far that is. This is the first expansion where I have no idea what I want to play as my main. And yeah I'm one of those guys... I like to dedicate myself to a class right away for a variety of reasons. I was considering boomkin but apparently there horribly dull in beta, but at least druids maintain most of their tools. Maybe it's time to take a look at some melee options...

nope, not fun.

They've gone well over the top with nerfing us. Yes we needed our damage reducing and movement limiting but that could have been done with number tweaking and changing KJC, some of the other changes, like fel flame, backlash etc are just pointless.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    utterly boring

I've been bored out of my mind on the beta to the point where I'm currently planning on switching mains to paladin. Thankfully prot is more or less intact.

Deleted
    Locks are boring. Period.

This doesn't add anything to any discussion. Post more constructively next time. - Alarinth

Deleted
    But having a lot of abilities was hard to balance and they pushed casuals away, you should be more thoughful of the devs feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    But having a lot of abilities was hard to balance and they pushed casuals away, you should be more thoughful of the devs feelings.
    When I first started playing 5 years ago, I picked lock because of how cool it looked. I've stayed lock all these years because of the difficulty in pulling off the playstyle, and the immense rewarding feeling you get if you do manage to pull it off. No other class/spec has made me feel that way. On the beta, I don't get that from it anymore. Combine that with the borderline idiotic talent changes (or lack of changes) and I really can't stand it anymore. So I'll be going with a multi-role class that I actually enjoy playing and that I am also heavily invested in lorewise.

I do realize the irony in my two favourite classes being complete polar opposites on the alignment chart.

I really like Warlock and think it will be just as powerful come WoD. People are comparing WoD Warlock to MoP Warlock which is like comparing apples and oranges. Compare WoD Warlock to WoD content/classes and you will find that its fun and powerful!

10+ Year Old Account
    The raid testing I did with Demo seemed okay, but dungeons have been a bit awkward, I don't know how they expect the class to cope with Challenge Modes when you come to the final bosses. Not played any Destruction, seems like a pointless exercise unless you can plant the whole time, which you can't.

Affliction I did a fair amount of messing with on dummies, it's dull in that situation, no question, but then let's be honest here: It was in Cataclysm too, but it did get interesting with multiple targets, and it has pretty good mobility as standard which allows you to focus on the fight. That is going to be equally true in WoD. In dungeons/CMs, it is going to suck though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    I really like Warlock and think it will be just as powerful come WoD. People are comparing WoD Warlock to MoP Warlock which is like comparing apples and oranges. Compare WoD Warlock to WoD content/classes and you will find that its fun and powerful!
    It just shouldn't be. Therein lies a major problem.

So assuming it goes live as it is, what class and spec will some of you guys reroll?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avikur View Post
    So assuming it goes live as it is, what class and spec will some of you guys reroll?
    Probably won't happen, but Fire Mage.

I am very disappointed with warlocks in beta to the point I didn't want to buy expansion, I bought it anyway because I am addicted... Anyway, they really seem ten times less fun than live and I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Avikur View Post
    Protection paladin, although I might come back to play demo at some point. In terms of that spec, my concern lie in the talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    That's exactly what people are doing.