Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Do you trust your law enforcement officials?

As put above, I personally do not. There are plenty of kind police officers and there are plenty of dipshits with authority issues, overall though I do not trust my law enforcement officials. This is especially true given how they function: quotas. Let's say serious criminal activity had actually been decreasing in an area - rather than see this as an accomplishment the higher-ups see this as cops not doing their job.

Who else thinks that being a law enforcement official should be a prestigious position that has much stricter qualifications, higher pay, and more prestige. Becoming a police officer is an easy affair requiring no credentials, at least in the US.

Sometimes I wish we could teleport people back to like 1920s Chicago or something. The internet would shit bricks.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Sometimes I wish we could teleport people back to like 1920s Chicago or something. The internet would shit bricks.
    That's a two way street. It was much easier to get away with any crime be you a police officer or a criminal.

ofc not. I'd be an idiot to trust a random stranger.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I do. The problem with a topic like this is the inherent unfairness of the question. 99.9% of law enforcement officials do a VERY difficult job every day, and do it well. The ass-hat fucking media never reports this, of course, so all people see are the "outrage" stories that paint LEO's in a negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yes, I do. The problem with a topic like this is the inherent unfairness of the question. 99.9% of law enforcement officials do a VERY difficult job every day, and do it well. The ass-hat fucking media never reports this, of course, so all people see are the "outrage" stories that paint LEO's in a negative light.
    Are you really expecting "man manages to do job without killing innocent" to be on the news?

I do, the police is very nice where I live. Not a high crime rate, which in part may be due to their effectiveness.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, until they give me reason to not trust them. I don't exactly trust the police, though I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I expect them to do their jobs, enforce the law, etc...etc... and if they do, I trust specific officers to continue to do so. If they do not, then I do not trust them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Probably not surprisingly you're most likely to trust the police if you're white.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Probably not surprisingly you're most likely to trust the police if you're white.
    Jesus fucking christ Wells, do you have nothing better to do than to bring race into every fucking subject?

I used to respect your positions man but fuck this is just pathetic race baiting.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Jesus fucking christ Wells, do you have nothing better to do than to bring race into every fucking subject?

I used to respect your positions man but fuck this is just pathetic race baiting.
    This feels like a knee jerk more than anything else. Acting like the race of the person you're asking has no bearing on their likelihood of trusting the police has no relevance in a thread about trusting the police is kinda silly.

I'm white, even with the advantage I don't trust them. Most cops are nice - that really isn't saying much. Let's say 1 in 10 cops is corrupt; that is still a despicable amount given how important the position is. These are people that are given weapons, authority, and credibility without really needing many credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I'm white, even with the advantage I don't trust them. Most cops are nice - that really isn't saying much. Let's say 1 in 10 cops is corrupt; that is still a despicable amount given how important the position is. These are people that are given weapons, authority, and credibility without really needing many credentials.
    1 in 10 isn't enough for me to paint them all with the same brush. That's fucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes i do. I do know that some of them are bad, but from personal experience, it's a minority
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

1 in 10 isn't enough for me to paint them all with the same brush. That's fucky.
    On the other hand, if you knew one in 10 cans of soup was tainted with botulism would you trust Campbells?

There are good cops and bad cops. I think most, in my area at least, fall into the good category. That being said, good or bad never trust them. If you are a suspect, shut the fuck up! EVERYONE should watch this video:

I think the bad vastly over shadow the good - and my only exposure to them is whatI hear in the media or similiar so since that is mostly negative, my outlook on law enforcement is negative.

I think they have WAY to much power. They arent for the people - they are for themselves and make money off the people. I know departments have a monthly Quota to meet as far as tickets issued goes so since I heard about that - I inheriently stopped trusting them since their morals do not seem in line with protecting the people. Its more so how can we screw the people/take advantage of the people/make money off the people.

A perfect example is under cover vehicles. There is ZERO reason there should be under cover/non marked vehicles. They should not be able to hide and entrap the people they are supposed to protect. unmarked vehicles are by every definition meant to trap. They serve no other purpose. It went from being used for surveillance to every day business.

All in all - if I need them, I am sure they would come through but I do not trust their motives and protocols are pure and in the right spot.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    My mommy told me not to trust strangers. So I don't.

1 in 10 is still a very dangerous gamble given how much power they have. I personally believe that being a police officer should be a prestigious position - higher pay and more selectivity.

On the other hand, if you knew one in 10 cans of soup was tainted with botulism would you trust Campbells?
    If I knew, chances are someone more important knows too and the whole batch would have been removed from shelves.

I make my own soup anyway

and 1 in 10 is a pretty exaggerated ratio in my mind.