Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noralya View Post
    No it's not. It's derived from the greek that coincidentally pronouces the word in a way that resembles a combination of "his" and "story" in modern english (ἱστορία/istoria for the curious). It has strictly nothing to do with gender roles or whatever.

The word itself means "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation" (from Wikipedia) and as such is incredibly apt and (again) has not a single thing to do with gender.
    Yeah sorry, I phrased it badly, it's obviously not where the word came from, it's just a happy coincidence / pun as was discussed repeatidly later in the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Just like Hitler COVENIENTLY entered german politics when the nazi party was on the up, but you can't say he was responsible for the rise of the nazi party
    I want to disagree with this.....
    That's not how it went down....

Hitler was in fact a founder of the party.. When the party split from the DAP in 1920, he was already a member.. His party ID showed him as member #555.
    From there on out, the party went through ups and downs..
    Within this timeline falls also the famous Beer Hall Putch (coup d'état) from Munich, which failed miserably.
    The election results of the party have been mediocre throughout the entire timeline.. Synonymous for that stands the 43,9% result from 1933, the year the Nazis overtook the power of the country.
    Interesting on that note are a look at a few yrs earlier.
    In 1928 the party received a devastating 2.6% votes.. Due to this catastrophic result, the party leadership changed it's doctrines.
    They've toned down the antisemitic election propaganda, and instead established the famous street terror mechanisms carried out by the SA, and a focus on other topics like foreign policy. From there on out, the results started to go up. With a more or less forced election result... They've essentially made sure, where they could, that your X on the ballot is in the right spot.
    And yet still... It's often overlooked that they've never got voted into power by an absolute majority.

The most interesting fact though is the display of disarray and corruption within the leadership of the country.
    Hitler was charged and convicted for High Treason. The verdict could already be seen as a joke.. 5 yrs detention.
    Of those 5 yrs he only served a few month.
    Such person should never ever be able to campaign for an office at all. Instead the least they should do is serving life in prison.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2014-09-04 at 03:23 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I want to disagree with this.....
    That's not how it went down....

Hitler was in fact a founder of the party.. When the party split from the DAP in 1920, he was already a member.. His party ID showed him as member #555.
    From there on out, the party went through ups and downs..
    Within this timeline falls also the famous Beer Hall Putch (coup d'état) from Munich, which failed miserably.
    The election results of the party have been mediocre throughout the entire timeline.. Synonymous for that stands the 43,9% result from 1933, the year the Nazis overtook the power of the country.
    Interesting on that note are a look at a few yrs earlier.
    In 1928 the party received a devastating 2.6% votes.. Due to this catastrophic result, the party leadership changed it's doctrines.
    They've toned down the antisemitic election propaganda, and instead established the famous street terror mechanisms carried out by the SA, and a focus on other topics like foreign policy. From there on out, the results started to go up. With a more or less forced election result... They've essentially made sure, where they could, that your X on the ballot is in the right spot.
    And yet still... It's often overlooked that they've never got voted into power by an absolute majority.

The most interesting fact though is the display of disarray and corruption within the leadership of the country.
    Hitler was charged and convicted for High Treason. The verdict could already be seen as a joke.. 5 yrs detention.
    Of those 5 yrs he only served a few month.
    Such person should never ever be able to campaign for an office at all. Instead the least they should do is serving life in prison.
    oh my god. of course he was important. It was a sarcastic post relating to a person who thought that someone else really important wasn't important and it was all just a coincidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game of Thrones has far fewer contradictions than another popular fantasy novel that is "read" by millions all over the world with a fanatic fanbase.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh my god. of course he was important. It was a sarcastic post relating to a person who thought that someone else really important wasn't important and it was all just a coincidence.
    Okies
    Didn't quite get that part... and thought I had to set the record straight, since this is - as I said above - more than often actually really false interpreted.

My apology for missing the sarcasm, I normally catch that.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Game of Thrones has far fewer contradictions than another popular fantasy novel that is "read" by millions all over the world with a fanatic fanbase.
    I was thinking about this the other day.

It does make you think. Suppose in 2k years people dig up a copy of game of thrones, treat it as a factual account of real world happenings, and like... then discover factual accounts of war of the roses or something and be like "You see! All you nonbelivers are gonna be pretty red-faced now! I told you it was all real" like when people act like the noah and the ark story is real when evidence of a flood somewhere is discovered or whatever

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking about this the other day.

It does make you think. Suppose in 2k years people dig up a copy of game of thrones, treat it as a factual account of real world happenings, and like... then discover factual accounts of war of the roses or something and be like "You see! All you nonbelivers are gonna be pretty red-faced now! I told you it was all real" like when people act like the noah and the ark story is real when evidence of a flood somewhere is discovered or whatever
    If our society is still that easy to dupe, we will have long since killed ourselves off. Though GoT is way more legit of a belief system.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2014-09-04 at 04:09 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulscorch View Post
    You know i'm actually wondering why dragons snatched maidens... and not just freakin livestock or random people... i think there's more to what dragons did to the maidens.
    Fortunately, the Brobdingnagian Bards have explained it all through song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Xv5S-hPBA#t=64