Asus PCE-N53 issues

Hello everyone, I recently acquired this card and its a massive PITA, the signal strength and speed is all over the place, playing battlefield and wow is more or less impossible due to the lag caused by it, MS can be seemingly fine at 30 (but still rubberbanding) or it can spike all the way up to ridiculous levels.

Using the same wifi connection with my laptop is completely fine, so something is definitely up with this card.

The drivers for the card is seemingly the most recent ones too, i've reinstalled it a couple of times just to make sure, nothing works, but no difference.

I've searched the internet for any answers and there does seem to be some issues with this card and win 8.1, although all i've seen are people being completely unable to connect to wifi at all, and as such does not have the same issue as i have.

Any ideas? :C

Have you tried changing channels on whatever band you are using on router?

I've seen people recommend installing the software before physically installing the card. [Thats what I did anyway] I haven't had any issues with mine at all.

Quote Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
    Have you tried changing channels on whatever band you are using on router?

I've seen people recommend installing the software before physically installing the card. [Thats what I did anyway] I haven't had any issues with mine at all.
    This is what i did as it just kept crashing when i installed the card before having the drivers

Found this from overclockers forums

"Here is the solution. it helped me to get 300 mb/s with ASUS PCE N53.

1. Download latest ASUS driver for PCE N53 (for me it was ASUS PCE-N53 driver 5.0.35.0 for windows 8.1 64 bit). It's a ZIP file. Extract it. There will be 5 files. Make a back up copy to another folde in case of something goes wrong.
    2. One of this 5 files is RaCoInst.dat. Open it with Windows Note editor. Now you have to find a line like this "RUS=10001000". For me it was RUS as I'm in Russia. Find your own country and change "10001000" parameter to "11101110". For me it became like this "RUS=11101110". It activates 802.11n. Save the file and lose it.
    3. Go to Windows Devce Manager, find your wifi adapter and delet it. Refresh the list. Windows will find a new device. Now you have to install the driver for this device. Do not let Windows make it automaticaly, manually find the folder with the file we eddited (RaCoInst.dat).
    4.Reboot your PC (maybe it's not neccesary).
    5. Got to windows RUN, type in "regedit". Find the following string:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\XXXX
    XXXX in this line is a sub folder. I have 7 of them: 0000, 0001......0007. For me it was 0000 folder. Click on it and you'll see a lot of parameters on the right side. Now find and edit the folowing lines:

AdhocNMode - 1 (to activate "N" in Ad-Hoc mode)
    AllowBW40InBGBand - 1 (to turn 40MHz on)
    AutoReconnect - 1 (autoreconnect)
    CountryRegion - 1 (allows wifi chanels from 1 to 13)
    SmartScan - 1 (multimedia/gaming mode)
    TXBurst - 1 (speeds up the connection)
    and finally
    WirelessMode - 5 (for me it was 5. Try which is better for you)
    0: legacy 11b/g mixed
    1: legacy 11B only
    2: legacy 11A only
    3: legacy 11a/b/g mixed
    4: legacy 11G only
    5: 11ABGN mixed
    6: 11N only
    7: 11GN mixed
    8: 11AN mixed
    9: 11BGN mixed
    10: 11AGN mixed

I also changed these lines:
    CountryTxPwr - I set it to 20
    CountryTxPwr5G - this HAS TO BE "1118181e"

6. Reboot your pc. Connect to wifi AP.

Good luck."

Apparently people have been noticing that although the driver is installing, windows is using a different driver and not the one that you are installing. There are many topics on the internet about it, the quoted text above worked for one person. Another removed asus utility or wireless console or w/e its called these days and removed device from manager, refreshed and manually pointed it to the right driver. Hope something works for you.
    Last edited by acphydro; 2014-08-28 at 01:08 PM.