Russia hacked Wall Street (JP Morgan and others) after sanctions.

Russians hacked J.P. Morgan Chase and at least one other bank in mid-August immediately after the U.S. levied new sanctions on Moscow, according to an FBI probe. The attack resulted in the theft of gigabytes' worth of sensitive data and may be linked to similar recent infiltrations of European banks. People familiar with the case say the FBI suspects the attack was retaliation for the sanctions. Experts say the hackers' ability to move through sophisticated security suggests these were not average criminals—but the hackers left enough of a trail to also suggest the Russian government wasn't involved. The news comes as Russia pushes an invasion of Ukraine. “The Russians typically keep open the options to do something more, and the question now is what would trigger that and what would our response be,” said James Lewis, director of the Strategic Technologies program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...n-hacking.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...e-u-s-son.html

Sad that nationalist pandering is more important than actual geopolitical strategy in Russia.

EDIT: Title is very poorly worded, the Russian government had nothing to do with this.
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-08-27 at 11:45 PM.

You should put that edit on the top of the post, all caps. It'd also be wise to make each word a different color and put in 10-20 emoticons on each side.

What the feck, Kaspersky just blocked me from going to the Bloomberg article, says it's a phishing URL...
    edit: Nvm, fine now.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2014-08-28 at 12:24 AM.

I think north americans wished it to be true, esp. after 2008 XD

Russia pushes an invasion of Ukraine? They're still doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    They do it through sending well equipped volunteers (more often than not veterans of latest wars) with the latest information about disposition of Ukrainian forces.
    In Ukraine they usually face underequipped, low-morale troops that often don't know what the heck they are fighting for.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    Welcome back from your trip to Mars.
    Last edited by Keyboard Champion; 2014-08-28 at 10:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    You should put that edit on the top of the post, all caps. It'd also be wise to make each word a different color and put in 10-20 emoticons on each side.

What the feck, Kaspersky just blocked me from going to the Bloomberg article, says it's a phishing URL...
    edit: Nvm, fine now.
    well kaspersky is a russian company so of course they dont want you to know that.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Anyone fucking with JP Morgan Chase is a winner. What an evil institution. Hopefully good old Jamie Dimon drops off the fucking planet.

Should be seen as a official attack against America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    So, any time a "hacker" living in America does anything to do with a foreign company, it should be considered an official attack from the US to that country? The title is basically click-bait, it was not "Russia" that did this, it was a hacker/hackers living IN russia.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    the hackers left enough of a trail to also suggest the Russian government wasn't involved.
    Really? Does not seem like it.

It would be nice though if the American hackers would stop targeting PSN, Xbox Live, and Twitch for LOLS and hit some Russian banks.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    It would be nice though if the American hackers would stop targeting PSN, Xbox Live, and Twitch for LOLS and hit some Russian banks.
    The people who 'hit' PSN/XB/Twitch aren't hackers (and more precisely people who break into systems are crackers not hackers) but just kids who have found some tools that allow them to use slave machines to bomb a target - some of them know enough to inject spyware/trojan applications to websites/p2p to get more slaves but in general they're part of the "I found LoIC from the Net, I am now a l33t h4xx0r" crowd.