Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Silence is now available to Discipline and Shadow Priests.

So... disc priests finally got some CC love?
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

It seems so. I'm so glad it finally happened. True that it doesn't address melee, but at least i can help with interrupts in raids now, because that's been my number 1 pet peeve in SoO, wiping to interrupts cause some giant twat missed his.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    True that it doesn't address melee.
    Exactly. It's a "Oh is melee sitting on you? Here, have a cookie."

This guy in my guild reckons their whole intention with wod is to make it extremely heavy on the FOTM (in PvP particularly) so that people keep bying 90 boosts and rerolling whatever is OP. Its a better conspiracy theory than most I've seen. It will start with FDK and Arms War being ungodly overpowered and then they'll switch it up a bit. Maybe we'll see 4.1 Boomkin again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVRg3W9bBU (warning, possible Bleach Anime Spoilers)
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

About time. (This is coming from someone who generally despises disc for being overly strong.) They needed something.

Maybe we'll see 4.1 Boomkin again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVRg3W9bBU (warning, possible Bleach Anime Spoilers)
    This video is not available in your country. GG
    Stay salty my friends.

Deleted
    Utterly terrible change.

Does nothing to fix our pvp issues vs melee, and only helps against casters which we have never had problems with. Also blizz wanted to (quite rightly) reduce the amount of blanket silences in the game and now are just giving one to a healer...

Better change would have been make fear baseline and put chastise in it's place on the talent tree.

True that it doesn't address melee, but at least i can help with interrupts in raids now, because that's been my number 1 pet peeve in SoO, wiping to interrupts cause some giant twat missed his.
    My thoughts exactly. I can't see it from a PvP perspective since I barely do any PvP, but it's a very welcome change to our raiding enviroment. Heroic Garrosh would have been so much easier if I could help with those interrupts... (well, it does count as an interrupt AND silence, right?)

I'm very excited about this change, even if it's a talent (like, baseline fear but silence as talent for disc/holy)

Deleted
    It sounds more like they are reducing shadows 'utility' with this, giving them a bigger reason to go disc instead.

Nooooo

Now I will have to interrupt It was so nice always blaming others for failing to interrupt because "Blizzard is stupid enough to not make me able to"

NOOOOO

HOMOGENISATION
    EVERYONE CAN INTERRUPT
    BLIZZARD FIX

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I had always thought that one of the CC changes blizz was making forr WoD is making sure that no interupt was also a silence, it's one or the other. That would mean that things that are imune to silence, like most raid encounter boss or adds, will not be interupted.

Maybe now I can do the You're Doing It Wrong achievement dpsing as Disc.

Really nice, shadow losing iconic spells. In the next build Disci will get Shadowform, shadow orbs, mind blast and devouring plague.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Really nice, shadow losing iconic spells. In the next build Disci will get Shadowform, shadow orbs, mind blast and devouring plague.
    Ooo you big big drama queen.

Anyway next to no help against melee, this is exactly the problem shadow is facing.

This is great news in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Krommm View Post
    About time. (This is coming from someone who generally despises disc for being overly strong.) They needed something.
    Disc is terrible in PvP and this change does almost nothing for PvE. Your post doesn't even make sense.

Deleted
    Well, Silence is one of those things I miss I was able to have as Disc during Vanilla/TBC in PvP, so it's nice to have it back

Quote Originally Posted by Ciante View Post
    Well, Silence is one of those things I miss I was able to have as Disc during Vanilla/TBC in PvP, so it's nice to have it back
    Oh man! I had forgotten, 21/9/21 was great, got access to Inner Focus and Silence!

On the general topic though, I am glad for this from a pve point of view. It'll be nice while soloing some of those elites and stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sedusa View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, I had always thought that one of the CC changes blizz was making forr WoD is making sure that no interupt was also a silence, it's one or the other. That would mean that things that are imune to silence, like most raid encounter boss or adds, will not be interupted.
    As far as I know, that is still correct! Being reminded of that makes me feel less excited by this change but it is still nice!

I'm actually sad to see the silence change. The current beta build indirectly further implies there won't be less extreme nerfing of disc priest CC relevant against melee, becoming not just below MoP but less in WoD than in vanilla, TBC, and the entire history of WoW. (In the old days, psychic scream provided a baseline and mind control a situational extra).

Another CC instead of Silence would have been better as baseline, while Silence could better be dropped in the talent-choice tier. It'd still be available for any PvE niches, but fewer priests would actually choose it over the alternatives in WoD PvP, if having to choose, than Blizzard might expect, outside of some in some particular arena team combo (dependent on teammates) maybe.

In expansion after expansion, melee are and always have been who really kill me outside of uncommon circumstances (and I know melee are temporarily lower representation than usual in MoP in the niche environment of top-rated 3v3 arena combos but rather refer to PvP in general).

Considering how much matters change more towards that in WoD...

I don't want to kick the underdog. I want more of a chance against my real threats.

This isn't surprising, though. In the midst of expansion CC changes supposed to be about toning down excessive annoyance from CC, the most annoying type (stuns) are nerfed the least, whereas disarms (the melee equivalent of silences, not as bad as total loss of control of movement and everything) are removed entirely. For example, compared to a stun, I relatively almost enjoy being hexed (still able to move), being polymorphed (regenerating health and not dying meanwhile), etc.

Aside from the best melee players being more likely to target clothies than tankish enemies, other contributing factors to why I'd spec much more against melee than casters if given a choice, even if with tradeoffs (though not the kind of choice allowed in modern WoW design), include:

- Dispelling, such as dispelling debuffs on oneself, is strongly doable against casters but not melee. (For instance, physical bleeds are one of the few effects certain to rule out Spectral Guise usage; nothing in game accessible to me removes them, except for one impractical trinket specially nerfed not to at high level).

- It would be interesting to analyze how the dps of various classes is comparable in PvE even despite the following, but such always feels vastly divergent in burst capability in PvP (in any expansion and era, whether now or even back when I was playing in TBC).

- Deaths particularly occur when there are multiple attackers, and the CC which doesn't break in that circumstance amounts to stuns, usually melee delivered. In contrast, for example, if a warlock tries to fear me and fear ward is down, it often breaks in moments from others dpsing me meanwhile.

This might seem like a plea to be overpowered. But fun consists in large part of having a good toolkit, and that in itself does not constitute being OP as number tuning determines whether any class is OP or not. The most boring single-button class imaginable would be OP if its numbers were extreme enough, and the opposite applies.
    Last edited by varkar; 2014-08-28 at 06:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sedusa View Post
    I'm hopeful that that's just for PvP and silences will still count as interrupts in PvE.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.