Thread: Speed Running

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Speed Running

recently me and my friends have got into speed running games. i recently just did a speed run of Fallout New Vegas in 3 hours which i was pretty impressed with(ps3)

Awesome Games Done Quickly (AGDQ) has done the mario series, metroid, castlevania, tony hawk pro skater, mega man, and other popular side scroll platformers. can anyone else suggest some old school games that would can do speed runs with? i would mostly be interested in any% (11min Ocarina of Time run is my favorite), and runs that can be done in the under 2 hour marker, but any ideas would be great!
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

I've actually been doing speed runs of the DKC series. Mostly the third one because its not as technically difficult and its still fun to play. Platformers in general are great for short yet fun runs.

Deleted
    Since you have a PS3 already, it's not really old-school, but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have had some amazing speed runs done on those, and they are the best games available on the PS3 anyway, so you should get them for two reasons!

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
    Since you have a PS3 already, it's not really old-school, but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have had some amazing speed runs done on those, and they are the best games available on the PS3 anyway, so you should get them for two reasons!
    omg i havnt beaten demons souls yet. im mentally scared for life. i've had dark souls on my shelf for about a year and havnt played it yet. its kinda like the evil monkey that points and stares at me.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play a game that you love A LOT, one that you don't mind replaying a hundred (or a thousand) times over. I can recommend you some good speedrunning games, but there's a big chance you may have a very different taste. For example, I worship Super Metroid, Zelda: ALttP, Mega Man and Dark Souls etc, as in both casual play and speedrunning, but you may not.

Also, bear in mind that speedrunning a game and playing a game casually are two completely different things, in most cases they are not the same. A lot of games require routes, strategies and tricks for speedrunning that are very difficult to perform (many games have tricks that require frame-perfect inputs), and you have to acknowledge that there's also a big chunk of luck involved in almost every game.

A good thread for new speedrunners:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/com...speed_runners/

But anyway, if you have a PS3, these 2 are objectively exceptional speedrunning games, they have no downtime (cinematics/cutscenes) and not that much luck involved (unless you count bosses trolling by flying/jumping away), just a lot of adrenaline and butt-clenching action:

Dark Souls

Dark Souls 2
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-08-28 at 09:56 AM.