Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochon View Post
    I don't believe that genetics cause obesity, I don't see how it would work (you need to add mass to your body to grow, your body can't produce it from nothing). I think you're the one who should bring some sources. I don't see how race has anything to do with this, please explain.
    The burden is not on me to prove your ridiculous and non-cited claims. So educate me oh wise one, I am waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    People always seem to believe the inverse though because we all know at least one example. We all know that one person who eats a lot and isn't very active yet is quite thin. Why is it ludicrously fallacious to believe that other side of the spectrum can exist? Ice cream eating mountain dew drinking thin gamers that never get off their butts are lucky, but all fat people must be weak-willed and lazy?
    Difference being I'm not using personal anecdotes, I'm referring to the wealth of indisuputable science on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    First, please reread my post one more time sounding out all of the words before you attempt another post full of strawman arguments and personal insults.

Secondly, if you had one single ounce of intellectual reasoning you would realize how mind boggling ignorant it is to make blanket assumptions regarding a human condition as broad as weight loss. Billions of dollars has been spent trying to figure out the molecular receptors that make up metabolism, the genes that influence how our bodies convert food to energy, etc. So when I see a post where someone clearly lacking any substantial background whatsoever makes a "I have the cure!" thread you can color me a little dubious.
    This isn't really a thread that claims to have the answer to all obesity on earth, where did you get the impression it has "the cure". Telling obese people to not be obese doesn't always work, but ANY effort to discredit, and destroy the notion that obese people simply "can't help" their horrible affliction should be praised.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Genetics and medical conditions don't add the weight, they make it harder to lose the weight though.

Take hypothyroidism, for example. That's when your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of the hormone needed to regulate your energy levels. I have hypothyroidism, and fatigue (sometimes chronic fatigue) can keep you from working out. There are plenty of medical conditions that can impact someone's ability to stay healthy and lose weight.

Just because you're ignorant of their existence doesn't mean they're not there.
    Almost half of America is obese, diabetes is at an all time high, childhood obesity is staggering. Hypothyroidism affects a miniscule fraction and an even smaller fraction is afflicted with "chronic fatigue"; and while exercise is a great thing for your health, the lack of it is not the main cause of obesity, that would be food intake. It is extremely stupid to blame obesity on unpreventable genetic conditions.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2014-08-28 at 09:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Genetics and medical conditions don't add the weight, they make it harder to lose the weight though.

Take hypothyroidism, for example. That's when your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of the hormone needed to regulate your energy levels. I have hypothyroidism, and fatigue (sometimes chronic fatigue) can keep you from working out. There are plenty of medical conditions that can impact someone's ability to stay healthy and lose weight.

^ This, amazing the amount of ignorance in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard the argument that poor people are fat because they can only afford to eat at McDonald's, but I never understood how they could afford to eat so much there.
    One of the cheapest things to survive off of here is not McDonald's, but rice. I can't think of a quicker way to add weight than eat a ton of rice. It's how sumos bulk.

You may never believe this, but there are very large people who walk miles every day and eat less than 2000 calories of nutritious, balanced, non processed foods.
    You can't get overweight unless you absorb more calories than you spend.

If you're overweight eating only 2000 calories a day then you're not exercising. Well, I guess you can eat that little, exercise, and be overweight all at the same time if you first became overweight as a result of a completely different diet and are now living on less than you need maintain your weight, but presenting that diet as the one that produced the overweight in the first place is very dishonest.

2000 calories is too little for even most healthy but otherwise sedentary adults to maintain their weight... well, for males anyway. Dunno about females.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    I've heard the argument that poor people are fat because they can only afford to eat at McDonald's, but I never understood how they could afford to eat so much there. Seriously though, you get much more nutrition for a lot less money if you buy the right ingredients, cook it yourself, and eat sensible proportions three times a day (no more, no less).

I don't believe that genetics cause obesity, I don't see how it would work (you need to add mass to your body to grow, your body can't produce it from nothing). I think you're the one who should bring some sources. I don't see how race has anything to do with this, please explain.
    Genetics can affect your metabolism though (amongst other things) meaning that you may burn calories faster or slower. I mean I'm not massively active, I eat a lot and yet I'm bordering on underweight.

You're right though that Mcdonalds is actually pretty expensive, but I expect that it's eaten by people so much because of a lack of education on food, and because it saves time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Difference being I'm not using personal anecdotes, I'm referring to the wealth of indisuputable science on the matter.
    If the science is so indisputable, why haven't you mentioned the plethora of scientific journals that support a link between genes and obesity? It's just a quick Google search away, honestly. Are you claiming that everyone's bodies work exactly the same with regards to weight loss specifically on an exact same degree of efficiency? I think that would be a bolder claim than what I said

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm 5'10, 168 pounds and I eat out for lunch at fast food places almost every single day. Is it healthy? Not really, no. I don't do it out of boredom though. I don't do it because I am addicted to it. I don't go out of my way to eat less the rest of the day to make up for it.

Instead of saying "never eat at X!" maybe you should give actual good advice, like excercise, pay attention to what you do put into your body and don't overdo it, and cut down on sugary drinks, probably the number one culprit for most people.
    Its still good advice. There is literally nothing good about Mcdonalds except the convenience and arguably the food. Its overpriced, nutritionally awful, bad for the envorinment, economy, its workers. etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    You can't get overweight unless you absorb more calories than you spend.

If you're overweight eating only 2000 calories a day then you're not exercising. Well, I guess you can eat that little, exercise, and be overweight all at the same time if you first became overweight as a result of a completely different diet and are now living on less than you need maintain your weight, but presenting that diet as the one that produced the overweight in the first place is very dishonest.

2000 calories is too little for even most healthy but otherwise sedentary adults to maintain their weight... well, for males anyway. Dunno about females.
    I will contend it is an accurate depiction. They got big with unhealthy lifestyles, but tend to lose nothing over years of healthy lifestyles.

Your narrative is riddled with assumptions of both the habits of large people and their taxing of the health care system. You may never believe this, but there are very large people who walk miles every day and eat less than 2000 calories of nutritious, balanced, non processed foods.
    yeah, just like there are some X's that do y, but that doesn't mean every X does y.

- - - Updated - - -

Please post links for all the research you have exhaustively read so that you were able to make that extremely well thought out blanket conclusion for all individuals on this earth regardless of socioeconomic status, genetics, race, etc.
    I guess its just "something in the water" in the south, where the rate of obesity is higher than other parts of the country. (Talking about the southern US)

Almost half of America is obese, diabetes is at an all time high, childhood obesity is staggering. Hypothyroidism affects a miniscule fraction and an even smaller fraction is afflicted with "chronic fatigue"; and while exercise is a great thing for your health, the lack of it is not the main cause of obesity, that would be food intake. It is extremely stupid to blame obesity on unpreventable genetic conditions.
    I really couldn't give less of a fuck about America's obesity problem, I'm just here to work for a few years, make mine, and go home. I was discussing that *some* individuals do have a tough time controlling their weight due to genetic factors.

Deleted
    People always seem to believe the inverse though because we all know at least one example. We all know that one person who eats a lot and isn't very active yet is quite thin. Why is it ludicrously fallacious to believe that other side of the spectrum can exist? Ice cream eating mountain dew drinking thin gamers that never get off their butts are lucky, but all fat people must be weak-willed and lazy?
    Some people process faster and more thoroughly than others, that's true. Those people can eat whatever they want and not gain weight (still doesn't mean they're healthy, of course), but if you're not one of those people you shouldn't eat like them. If you don't process food as quickly, eat smaller portions (stop when you're not hungry, not when you're full), don't snack, and try to steer away from heavy-to-process foods like bovine meat. It's not fair, but life usually isn't.

I have no doubt there are many medical conditions that keep people from exercising, but those people shouldn't be feasting on fast foods then. If you can't climb mountains and fight polar bears, then you shouldn't be eating as if you could.

The burden is not on me to prove your ridiculous and non-cited claims. So educate me oh wise one, I am waiting.
    The burden is on you to prove your ridiculous and non-cited claims, not mine. So educate me, oh rude one. I'm not holding breath.
    Last edited by mmoc1119638637; 2014-08-28 at 09:23 AM.

I really couldn't give less of a fuck about America's obesity problem, I'm just here to work for a few years, make mine, and go home. I was discussing that *some* individuals do have a tough time controlling their weight due to genetic factors.
    Yeah but mentioning genetic problems in relation to the problem of obesity is as paperthin an argument as people accused of bestiality claiming they "tripped and fell on.."

Yeah but mentioning genetic problems in relation to the problem of obesity is as paperthin an argument as people accused of bestiality claiming they "tripped and fell on.."
    Not really, considering what weight problems I have had have stemmed from my hyperthyroidism, and not all the bullshit going around this thread. It's not my problem a lot of people in certain countries can't stop shoveling food into their faces, I was just responding to a clueless poster who said there are NO genetic conditions that can lead to weight problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you care? People that care what other people do with their lives are the biggest problem in this world.

Deleted
    One of the cheapest things to survive off of here is not McDonald's, but rice. I can't think of a quicker way to add weight than eat a ton of rice. It's how sumos bulk.
    Don't eat a ton of it.

That search took 5 seconds, enjoy:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...%2C51&as_sdtp=

And with that I am done with this pathetic waste of assumptions and ignorance thread.

If you're obese, fat or chubby; it's your own fault, because you are lacking discipline.
    This is all there is to say. But nobody can tell how hard it is to maintain the discipline necessary, for some it may be easier, for others it may be harder. There is no objective scale. There are many impulsive disorders that keep you doing things although you know it is wrong.
    Last edited by Puri; 2014-09-02 at 01:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm 5'10, 168 pounds and I eat out for lunch at fast food places almost every single day. Is it healthy? Not really, no. I don't do it out of boredom though. I don't do it because I am addicted to it. I don't go out of my way to eat less the rest of the day to make up for it.

Instead of saying "never eat at X!" maybe you should give actual good advice, like excercise, pay attention to what you do put into your body and don't overdo it, and cut down on sugary drinks, probably the number one culprit for most people.
    A bit off topic. Maybe you should go to a Doctor and get your Cholesterol checked? It is not known as a Silent Killer for nothing and eating so much fast food cannot be good.

The burden is on you to prove your ridiculous and non-cited claims, not mine. So educate me, oh rude one. I'm not holding breath.
    Low post count: check

Making wild accusations: check

Provides no proof whatsoever: check

I am not allowed to call out and label this behavior on these forums, but we all know what it is. This thread needs to be locked.