Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Sell Druid to me

Hi!

I'm considering my options ahead of the next expansion, I have played mage for a good 9 years on and and off now and am looking for a change. Primarily I would like to DPS but like the idea of dipping in to different roles when I fancy. So what do you love and hate about druid? What are your thoughts on the expansion and how do do you think druid compares to other classes in terms of fun.

Thanks!

Fun is subjective, play something you enjoy.

Mount speed travel form and claws of tigerman, the two reasons I'll be maining a druid next expansion.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    Last night I was leveling my feral cat in some 5-man and somehow the healer died. I managed to get out of the cat form and keep the party safe.

Later, the tank died (yep, shitty group) and then bear form kept us safe again.

This is why I play a druid!

(However it seems boomkin will be more fun in WoD)

10+ Year Old Account
    Jack of all trades, master of them all.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Fun is subjective, play something you enjoy.
    I know I know, but I don't have the time to level and gear a Druid to get a feel for it at the moment. Obviously it's the only real way of knowing if I will enjoy it but it would be nice to get a feel of what others enjoy about it as I may relate to what they enjoy. I see a lot of threads of "how to x spec perform" etc but I just want to know how fun the class feels, what little things people like and if at all possible some comparisons to Mage which I feel has become quite dumbed down and basic.

I have played Druid before, but boy has it changed since back then.

I've mained Druid since I started ten years ago and I've never regretted it. Travel form/Flight form are the most helpful situations especially if you play a NE. Pull to much mobs in an area, pop shadowmeld then flight form and your safe.

I main Boomking and Its deadly helpful knowing that I can cast a few heals if the healer of the group is suffering or if the tank dies and we need a quick tank because the boss is 10% health you can pop bear and finish the job.

When I was doing General V in Ulduar, When my mana dropped low I used to switch to cat and still do ok DPS too

Its satisfying to know that if something goes wrong you can actually make a massive difference

Deleted
    I'm not selling any druids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasard View Post
    I know I know, but I don't have the time to level and gear a Druid to get a feel for it at the moment. Obviously it's the only real way of knowing if I will enjoy it but it would be nice to get a feel of what others enjoy about it as I may relate to what they enjoy. I see a lot of threads of "how to x spec perform" etc but I just want to know how fun the class feels, what little things people like and if at all possible some comparisons to Mage which I feel has become quite dumbed down and basic.

I have played Druid before, but boy has it changed since back then.
    Mage (with icy floes) has a lot more movement options than boomkins do in terms of casters. Boomkin is getting a big overhaul in WoD which will probably make our rotation harder, I don't know as I am in the no beta club.

Druid healing has always been fairly simple, at least for 25m raiding - blanket for periods of intense healing, throw spot rejuvs/regrowths (with Clarity) otherwise, use WG and mushroom on cd and keep LB up.

Feral (kitty) dps is generally agreed upon as one of the harder dps specs to play (along with enh shammy) as there are a lot of debuffs/buffs to keep track of, + trinket procs.

Guardian (tank) is always fun personally, but that's up to you whether you enjoy tanking. I've not played it in MoP but used to play it a lot in BC and wotlk (skipped cata), and enjoyed it quite a bit then.

I have mained a druid since Vanilla and still do - it's a great, versatile, fun class, and is looking good for WoD as far as I know (though I don't have a lot of info on kitty dps, mostly as I haven't ever played it and have no desire to).

Hope that helped!

Ninja edit: Using flight form to pick up ground objectives and not pulling mobs whilst levelling/doing dailies/herbing is great ;D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasard View Post
    some comparisons to Mage
    The only thing you can compare there, is the Balance spec. Boom is all about paying attention to that Eclipse bar and use the proper spells and procs according to phase. In a way, that is incredibly boring. Really, it is. BUT! During combat it is easy to get distracted and not pay attention to the Eclipse bar, so you might end up using the Lunar/Solar spells during Solar/Lunar phase and do less damage. That's bad. But here's where it gets good. If you are one of those people that is excellent at paying attention, you will almost never make that mistake. Then you will do more damage and then the spec becomes more fun. For me, knowing that I can do something that most people consider trivial (pay attention to stuff) but a lot of people still fail at (most obvious in LFR), even during the heat of combat with heavy movement while avoiding stuff on ground and so on, I get a little kick out of that. It's awesome!

Another thing that makes druid awesome, is versatility. Building on the "can you pay attention" thing, if you're one of those people that can easily learn a lot of other classes and specs, druid is going to be fun, no doubt about that. You want to tank, you can tank. You want to heal, you can heal. And if all you want to do is dish out some damage, you can do both melee and ranged equally well (though Feral is proably harder to master than Balance). Druid is the masterclass for people that wants to do just about everything the game has to offer, without having to level several classes. Paladins and monks are a close second, but they can't be ranged dps.

However... If you cannot easily adapt to specs, don't do it. Mage got it easy, they're 3 sides of the same triangle. Druid is 4 completely different specs that have very little in common. I'm not saying you absolutely have to try out all 4, but it would really help for those times when you feel like doing something else. So pick one of the damage specs and the other spec that shares gear with it. Boom/Heal or Cat/tank. It will make the transition a lot easier. Eventually, when you have the time and feel for it, you could try to go all tank/heal and ignore the dps specs for a while. Then, when you've found the combination that you like, pick those.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I hate that one of the feral abilities requires you to be behind the target. Sucks when soloing. Also...skull bash needs a 7 yard range? What a stupid interrupt for a melee class...

In theory druids should be awesome....they offer everything. In reality even after 9 years I cannot find the love for it. But..taste and all that...
    Don't use Shred and use Mangle then. Anyway the requirement is being removed in the new WoD Shred.

Also Skull Bash has a 7y range because it doubles up as a charge. It doesn't need it. It's like saying mages need a 40y range to cast.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I hate that one of the feral abilities requires you to be behind the target. Sucks when soloing. Also...skull bash needs a 7 yard range? What a stupid interrupt for a melee class...

In theory druids should be awesome....they offer everything. In reality even after 9 years I cannot find the love for it. But..taste and all that...
    Uhmmm... what?

- Shred (and Ravage) requires you to be behind the target, but in this expansion it's useless, even in raids we use mangle, why would you want to use it when soloing? Anyway, OP is talking about the next expansion where facing requirements are removed, you can shred from every single position you want.

- First of all Skull Bash has 13 yard range. It doesen't mean you can interrupt only from 13 yards, it means you can interrupt from 0 to 13 yards and that's the longes interrupt range what a melee class has, so what the hell is your problem with it?! Secondly in fact skull bash is the best interrupt, couse it pulls you to your target from max range, it's a free charge from 13 yards, another awesome mobility for druids.

So in theory and practice druids are awesome, but they are only as good as their owners. If you suck, your druid will suck too.
    (Juvencus beat me)
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2014-08-26 at 11:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, 4 roles, can tank, mdps, heal, rdps

can swap between those roles during encounters,
    fun mechanics!
    best in pvp!
    ANIMALS.
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only class with 4 specs
    They can do everything
    Flight form works slightly differently than flying mounts (you can loot and herb and stuff)
    Entangling root beer
    Kittens

10+ Year Old Account
    Be prepared for people to ask you to tank or heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies folks!

edit: When I last played Druid I only really played resto so I know very little about Moonkin, will have to watch some videos and see what it's like. Thinking about it, no excuse for me not to try it out seeing as I think my Druid is level 80... Something to look forward to after work!
    Last edited by mmoc943dbabad6; 2014-08-26 at 11:48 AM.

Moonkin.

And all of the other specs

Quote Originally Posted by Jarob22 View Post
    Mage (with icy floes) has a lot more movement options than boomkins do in terms of casters. Boomkin is getting a big overhaul in WoD which will probably make our rotation harder, I don't know as I am in the no beta club.

Druid healing has always been fairly simple, at least for 25m raiding - blanket for periods of intense healing, throw spot rejuvs/regrowths (with Clarity) otherwise, use WG and mushroom on cd and keep LB up.

Feral (kitty) dps is generally agreed upon as one of the harder dps specs to play (along with enh shammy) as there are a lot of debuffs/buffs to keep track of, + trinket procs.

Guardian (tank) is always fun personally, but that's up to you whether you enjoy tanking. I've not played it in MoP but used to play it a lot in BC and wotlk (skipped cata), and enjoyed it quite a bit then.

I have mained a druid since Vanilla and still do - it's a great, versatile, fun class, and is looking good for WoD as far as I know (though I don't have a lot of info on kitty dps, mostly as I haven't ever played it and have no desire to).

Hope that helped!

Ninja edit: Using flight form to pick up ground objectives and not pulling mobs whilst levelling/doing dailies/herbing is great ;D

In WoD every caster has had their movement casting completely overhauled bringing them more in line with Boomkin. Blizz has stated that they only want Hunters doing good dps on the move, and even then they can still do better if standing still.

Boomkin is, in my opinion, the most fun spec. It's not a 1-button rotation and it's fun watching for SS procs, and you have some interesting cooldowns. WoD looks to be improving the spec even further.

Kitty is nice too. It's still very rogue-ish but you feel faster and less gimmicky.

I feel as though Blizz has not known what they want Guardians to be since wrath, and they lately seem very clunky and boring to play now.

Resto druids have always be interesting. It's very different being master of HoTs instead of big heal d00d.

But he really hit it on the nose, no class can farm materials faster than a druid with flight form.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Be prepared for people to ask you to tank or heal.
    To be honest, most raiding guilds have a stable tank roster, and it's difficult to tank when all you have is int gear As for healing, a lot of SoO (apart from Thok) has not really needed a lot of healers, and they're saying 4-6 healers for WoD afaik. As the others said, it will definitely be easier to have an offspec that uses the same main stat (feral-guardian and resto-balance).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karnudge View Post
    Resto druids have always be interesting. It's very different being master of HoTs instead of big heal d00d.
    Did you ever play resto during wotlk? It was -literally- 1 button spam in 25mans.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Jack of all trades, master of them all.
    almost this, we have incredibly nice healing tools, not sure about tanking, but feral is great melee dps while boomie is great hybrid range dps whole package