10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

Indie Gaming- What people/developers do you support?

So, yes it was the Zoegate thread that got me thinking about this, but this is a completely different thread so please keep feminism discussions out of this one.

So the question is what do you feel indie gaming should be? Or what should it focus on doing? Today we have a flood of small flash games, restoration attempts on beloved titles, retro titles attempting to recreate the essence of games we loved without owning the rights to them, and some truly original works. Unfortunately for each of those there is a massive flood of poorly made over priced games created as a "get rich quick" scheme by someone without original ideas or actually game making talent.

I would like to sort of focus this thread on what Indie devs and games really support the sort of gaming that pushes us forward rather than the cash grabbers, and maybe introduce the readers to some new games.

To start with I will mention Illwinter, a small 2-3 man operation that has made the Dominions series. At first glance this series does look like a cash grab, since the prices are close to mainstream titles, the graphics look like crap, and the series doesn't seem much different from one game to another. But when you actually play the game you will find that it is people making a game they love because they love the source, which to me is the essence of indie gaming, with focus on content over graphics.

Secondly Taleworlds, the operation (Originally 3 people) that built Mount & Blade over the course of about 7 years, again with the focus on building what they loved, not on graphics or showmanship.

What other games/devs do you really support?

Deleted
    i do not really know any indie devs by name, the only indie game i can think of that i enjoyed was FTL, so i suppose i support them :P got the game both on PC and IOS, and i love the game on my ipad, it plays so perfectly on a tablet.

- - - Updated - - -

i forgot, i really enjoyed cube world game, but i do not support the dev one bit, he seemed to have just abandoned the game before it even released.

I don't support developers. I support games.

If I see an indie game that interests me I follow it. If it shows reasonable progress over time I might support it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Edmund McMillen is the only one that i "anticipate next product". Other than that i simply tend to dig for "let's look at" type of series on youtube, visit forums and pick up games based on if they are good or not.

Kan Gao, the guy who made To The Moon. That game is the best.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only support indie project that i know they can do it.

However if i see something like...give us 500$ and your character name will be in game....its just scam.

http://gamecrastinate.com/gaming-new...rbnb-squatter/

Also its good to know a background of every devloper, before you even donate.
    There is a lot of black sheeps.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't support indie gaming. In fact I think it's holding gaming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    However if i see something like...give us 500$ and your character name will be in game....its just scam.

http://gamecrastinate.com/gaming-new...rbnb-squatter/
    No, there are plenty of Kickstarter/crowdfunded projects that are chugging along just fine with having folks get their names in the credits for donating at a certain level. There's nothing about rewarding that that inhere

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Also its good to know a background of every devloper, before you even donate.
    This is the only super important thing. Know what they've made, know who is on the team, look at the budget they're asking for and what they're promising. Doing your due diligence as someone throwing money at a concept in the hopes that it's made is important.

I'm also a M&B:W fan, the second installment of that series might just be the game I anticipate the most.

What should indie gaming be about? Well, indies should be independent. They should make the games they want to make.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Generally what interests me about Indie Games are games that are trying to do something different. Here's a few that have been of interest to me recently:

Revolution 60
    Among The Sleep
    Bacon Man
    Skipping Stones

Deleted
    I don't like the whole Indie thing. I think it has taken a bad direction. Also I believe that most Indie games should be give for free rather than being sold.

Why do you think most indie games should be free? o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave Johnson View Post
    I don't like the whole Indie thing. I think it has taken a bad direction. Also I believe that most Indie games should be give for free rather than being sold.
    Why is the direction it has taken bad? What is that direction? What direction should it be taking? Also, why should indie game developers work for free?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I don't support developers. I support games.
    That was just about exactly what I was going to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a bold statement considering there are games like shovel knight, ftl, bastion, transistor, binding of isaac...
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    CD Projekt Red. They make the Witcher RPGs, story driven, full 3D action rpgs with player consequences. They even made their own game engine for it.

They aren't owned by a big publisher, they have to make publication deals (Atari then WB in the US), so I believe technically that makes them independent.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

So uh...how are these guys going to pay the bills then? Or are they supposed to only do this in their spare time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Well, indie devs not being able to sell they games is great idea if you want indie games to look like this: