10+ Year Old Account

[WoD] Defile question

Does defile have a maximum radius?
    Does defile have a maximum periodic damage coefficient?

I know Necrotic Plague increases in strength up to a cap of 15 stacks... Surely Defile must cap out somewhere/somehow but it's not in the tooltip
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2014-08-28 at 04:12 PM.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

It has a duration of 15sec. It gains 2.5% radius and damage each second. Caps at 37.5% radius and damage increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iysdexia View Post
    It has a duration of 15sec. It gains 2.5% radius and damage each second. Caps at 37.5% radius and damage increase.
    does it reach that cap faster when more targets are standing in the area of effect? or does it reach maximum radius and damage at the same rate regardless if there is 1, 10, or 100 targets taking damage?

Defile only lasts for 10 seconds, not 15. The damage/radius maxes out at 25%. It used to have text that said a limit for the increase in growth (on both parts) but it got removed, and I can't remember if that's still in effect or not.

Oh yeah my bad.

would feel much better about this ability without the rune cost. Its okay for DW, but is painful for 2h. Haven't tried it on unholy yet.

Deleted
    I think those are in single-target though, and the damage and AoE increase happens for every single entity that's caught within? Though it would require lots of adds to expand dramatically. 25% every 1 for 10 adds seems like a funny scenario. Damage doubles before half the duration, but beyond we got the AoE DR.

Though Defile does by default less than D&D, at least the ones in the tooltip are way lower that D&D, and would need quite a few increases to catch up and be an improvement as a talent. Guess it's just not tuned yet.

Worth noting that Defile has a smaller starting radius than Death and Decay.

Well the tooltips word the damage totally different.

Death and Decay says something along the lines of 'does X damage over 10 seconds'. So you take that damage and spread it out over time to get each tick. Defile however just says 'does X damage each second'. I think I remember doing quick math and the baseline damage is a couple thousand more even before increases from growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Well the tooltips word the damage totally different.

Death and Decay says something along the lines of 'does X damage over 10 seconds'. So you take that damage and spread it out over time to get each tick. Defile however just says 'does X damage each second'. I think I remember doing quick math and the baseline damage is a couple thousand more even before increases from growth.
    But DnD will be buffed to make it more powerful than BB, I'm not sure if defile will also be buffed to keep it properly ahead or if it will be a 1% dps gain compared to no talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Death and Decay is only more powerful then BB if the target actually stays in place for the whole 10 seconds, which has always been a factor in it's damage. After X seconds of being in DnD it also works out to be a gain over SS.

Tuning isn't done yet, calm down. All the talents are supposed to be dps increases, I believe Defile is actually the best talent for most specs anyways right now

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    would feel much better about this ability without the rune cost. Its okay for DW, but is painful for 2h. Haven't tried it on unholy yet.
    Considering it replaces DnD and is a talent it should have zero rune cost to begin with or at the least have half the cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Denalian View Post
    Worth noting that Defile has a smaller starting radius than Death and Decay.
    Also worth noting that it has 1 less tick compared to DnD. DnD has an initial tick, then 1 per sec for 10 sec. 11 ticks total. Defile only has 1 per sec for 10 for 10 ticks total.

Defile really feels weak.

Defile feels weak, yet it's the best talent for most of the dps specs right now. One less tick and an initial smaller starting range don't mean anything if it does more damage anyways.

Defile seems to be an incredibly boring choice for tier. Reskinded DND, ty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanderpanda View Post
    Defile seems to be an incredibly boring choice for tier. Reskinded DND, ty
    some people might like a boring a option. basically its the choice that does NOT change your rotation, the equivalent of a passive buff to a single spell...

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Considering it replaces DnD and is a talent it should have zero rune cost to begin with or at the least have half the cooldown.
    Being a talent has nothing to do with it. Some talents are pretty boring. Could have been something like this:

Defile
    Requires Level 100
    Increases your Death and Decay damage by +175% and changes it to Shadowfrost damage so it doesn't suck as much for Frost.