Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Oh and I never even thought to use drums when I did it any of the times I've done it either so make sure you use that as well.

So after reading this thread last night, and remembering the title and feat that will be granted in WoD, I decided to go give it a try on MY warlock.

Now I don't play warlocks. They just aren't fun to me, but I had one sitting at 90 for a while that I leveled out of boredom and had somewhere in the area of 470 gear. I went to timeless isle grabbed some 496s bumped my ilevel up to 493 and was using a 483 weapon from an old LFR I ran a long time ago.

Then I set out on my adventure.

I got to the boss and got rekt cause I didn't know what I was doing or how to warlock, but I gave it a few more attempts, refining my strategy each time and learning from my mistakes and also making a few lazy-mode macros to make life easier and I killed this boss in probably 15 tries at my item level.

There were only 2 parts I really struggled with. The first part was actually killing the felhounds. Keeping them from releasing my pit lord was as trivial as making a /petpassive /petmoveto macro and hitting it and moving him away when dude summoned them and then ROF the portal while they spawn. Cake. However with my shitty gear, i could not kill them with one chaos bolt as some of the guides i'd read said you could. Those guides were obviously intended for much better geared people than the shit I had as my chaos bolts with dark soul up only did about 70% of their hp in damage. I still had to hit them with something else on top of that then shadow burn to actually kill them.

My solution to this problem was simply using glyph of havoc because after the chaos bolt hurt them, I could use conflags to finish them off or at least get them low enough to shadowburn, then i'd switch to the full health dude and start working on him. Killing him without chaos bolt at all took FOREVER. Having no gear sucks.

Only other part I struggled with was much later in the fight when my pit lord was already tanking 2 doom guards and kan keeps spawning imps. I would occasionally pull aggro on one of the doom guards from my imp aoe spam and with a doom guard + imps on me, i'd get rekt. But again, I learned from my mistakes, let my pit lord wail on each doom guard for much longer periods of time than before to ENSURE very good threat.

Hell I didn't even think to soul shatter, cause i'm a bad warlock and don't play the class.

But despite it all, I killed him and got my fire.

I can tell you people something that really helped me do it that I never saw mentioned in any guide anywhere and that was to make a macro that the fel flame breath every time you hit the incinerate key, cause i was basically spamming incinerate the whole time, so he more or less used it on cooldown. There was no point I found in trying to "save" it for anything because I took so fucking long to kill imps with my shitty gear he ended up breathing on them twice anyway per set, the cooldown is only 10 seconds so spam that shit. Then you just stay in front of him so the breath hits you and it wipes all your debuffs off. I never even bothered using singe magic because I just stood in the breath and let him spam it the entire time and stayed free of debuffs the entire time.

Having that macro also had the added bonus that when I was AOEing the imps, he'd run a little closer to them to breath on them each time. The downside to that macro was when I first started using it, he'd run over and breath on the fel hounds since he was basically spamming it on cooldown on whatever my target was. For 2 of them I was havoc'ing it didn't matter, but the third one I hadn't hit yet would turn around and release the dude, so instead I just made sure to save conflag stacks and shadow flame to finish off those first 2 fel hounds without using incinerate. Then when i spam incinerate on the final dude, the breath doesnt outthreat the damage im doing to him at that point.

But yeah, only trouble I had with the entire encounter was simply killing everything so mad slowly. If I had done this at 540 or higher, it would've been so cake as to be beyond belief. I sustained about 90k dps for the whole fight, should give you an idea of how bad it was. And yet, I still did it. lol

The fight isn't hard. My only wish is it scaled you down like challenge mode does so everyone had to do it at the same item level. Getting more gear is trivializing the fight and it's kind of sad honestly.

I can sorta see the frustration of wiping to this guy though, i yelled quite a few "mother fucker!"s at him during my 14 or so wipes.
    Last edited by Dasani; 2014-09-06 at 02:12 AM.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Appearently Blizzard think it's fine to out gear some content, else 588 wouldn't one-shot Brawler's.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Got my Lock to level 80 yesterday and snagged the triple XP potion on my main, cannot wait to get this guy to 90 and do this quest. Hopefully I can get it done before 6.0 :/

Depending on your item level i might be able to do it for you ( Got destiny now so wont play wow keep that in mind :P )

Jesus GOD this is impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Appearently Blizzard think it's fine to out gear some content, else 588 wouldn't one-shot Brawler's.
    I'm seriously starting to think that the green fire is something you get easily somewhere else and this is a hazing for people who haven't played in a long time. I've done the fight 147 times so far. The imps are invincible. My gear is mostly around 525, I even Shadowfury them so I have an extra few seconds to RoF and F and B Conflag and Immolate... pe breathing fire on them... they do...not...die. I want to give up so bad but I figure if I do this every day all day for the next couple of months I won't notice the expansion has finally come out. I can't even practice the rest (I guess there' more to the fight than the imps I see Felhunters that the pet is attacking and released from Enslave...) because the imps don't get below 35%. There is not a single fight in the entire game that comes even close to this difficulty....

Totally insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord2112 View Post
    I'm seriously starting to think that the green fire is something you get easily somewhere else and this is a hazing for people who haven't played in a long time. I've done the fight 147 times so far. The imps are invincible. My gear is mostly around 525, I even Shadowfury them so I have an extra few seconds to RoF and F and B Conflag and Immolate... pe breathing fire on them... they do...not...die. I want to give up so bad but I figure if I do this every day all day for the next couple of months I won't notice the expansion has finally come out. I can't even practice the rest (I guess there' more to the fight than the imps I see Felhunters that the pet is attacking and released from Enslave...) because the imps don't get below 35%. There is not a single fight in the entire game that comes even close to this difficulty....

Totally insane.
    I know this will probably just be annoying to realize, or perhaps you already know, but Sparkz has a video on his site completing this fight in ilvl 483 gear. It's a guide to those who chose to boost a lock to 90. I know he's a talented player, and, as such, not a generic benchmark of Warlock play, but perhaps you could find some pointers there to help you out. He completed the fight with something to the tune of 75K dps if I remember correctly and that should be well within your range in 525 gear.

For my own part (Destruction), I completed the quest line at a slightly lower gear level than you; 515, if memory serves, so comparable to yours. On the Imps specifically, I chose to fight them right where they spawn, ignore Immolate, and simply RoF right when they appear and then F&B Incinerate them down while tossing the odd RoF. Also, since the boss runs to the portal to summon them, the Pit Lord will follow him and stand behind him, thus being in an good position to Fel Flame Breath the Imps. I actually ended up macroing Fel Flame Breath into my Immolate ability (which is bound to my mousewheel-up), so that I could cast FFB a little more handily (move while scrolling up). This method worked well for me.

I'm going to assume you've read most guides to this fight and know of the most commonly used tips and tricks. But if you aren't already doing the following things, here's a few extra tricks I found useful (some of it is also in the Sparkz video):

1) Macro Demonic Siphon (which won't affect your GCD since it's a pet ability) into your Incinerate so that you're always healed on CD. Mine looked something like this:

#showtooltip Incinerate
    /startattack
    /cast Incinerate
    /cast Demonic Siphon

2) Make sure to use to use your Command Demon ability a lot (You retain this ability even if you enslave the Pit Lord). I specced GoSac because of the enslave requirement and Sac'ed the Imp, not the VL. Cauterize Master was quite helpful.

3) Set up your teleport rune just round the way of one of the stone pillars. That way you can teleport to avoid the Chaos Bolt cast. This was also helpful to me because it warranted a little time to use some extra healing abilities (just in case you're like me and don't remember to use your Healthstone on CD) - or whatever you like - since for a few seconds, you won't have a boss or adds on you.

4) As you likely know, the Felhunters are the most crucial part of the fight. Most guides tell you to command the Pit Lord to move away when the Felhunters appear to avoid getting Enslave Demon dispelled and that's a good idea. Additionally, as I didn't really use my gates for anything else, I found it useful to cast a RoF outside the mob spawning portal to get aggro on the Fel Hunters and then use gates to get 20-30 yards away from the mob spawning portal, moving in the opposite direction of where I just commanded the Pit Lord to go. That way the Felhunters followed me and I had time to nuke them before the Pit Lord got back to me.

5) I never tested it, but I believe you can use Purification Potion to get some nasty dots off you.

I hope this can help.
    Last edited by Shamran; 2014-09-11 at 07:32 AM.

Yes the purification wipes the "enrage" dot off of you making the enrage timer laughable. In addition to using the imp's singe magic ability I also specced into unbound will to keep as many dots off me as possible as the dot damage was my biggest problem when I did it (which was around your ilvl as well).

If the imps are really staying as a problem, ignore them, have the pit lord breath on them and get agg then you can just FnB them and pop soul shatter/gate way to drop agg.

Fun fact, not sure if mentioned yet, but Soul Stone on yourself works in this fight (its a bug ofc). If you have the Pit Lord enslaved and you die by accident, say from Chaos Bolt, the Pit Lord keeps on fighting and you can use the SS to ress and keep going.

Atleast that was the case when I went there on my quest.
    Pokemon X FC: 2148 - 8263 - 9208

I did it in 497 gear on a boosted Warlock. Took me about 3 days, maybe 20 attempts (playing other characters between attempts). Never played a Warlock before this. Just learn the strats and then practice them. Fel Hound was the hardest phase until I took glyph of Havoc. Conflag and Havok the first Fel Hound. Chaos Bolt the second Fel Hound. Start a Chaos Bolt on the third Fel Hound and before the cast goes off have the Pit Lord attack it and Charge it. This will have 2 of them dead and you can either Shadow Burn or attack it once and then you should be able to Shadow Burn it. Stick at it and you will get it. It is worth doing it yourself for the feel good feeling you get of accomplishing something. Dopamine is wonderful thing.

Deleted
    I did this on my brother's ilvl 520 warlock with pretty much zero actual playing experience on the character. Just abuse that extra damage from Pit Lord charge, you can do it quite often and get off two Chaos Bolts during it. Dodge boss chaos bolts with teleport out of LoS and Banish/Fear/Havoc the Felhunters as soon as they come (position yourself so that you are not anywhere close to the Pit Lord). Took me 6 or so attempts to get used to hotkeys but after that it wasn't really hard.

Also:
    Use the AoE 2 sec stun on the Pit Lord as soon as it spawns so you get free Enslave.
    Kill imps with Rain of Fire and Brimstone.
    Dispel yourself with sacced imp in case you are nowhere near your Pit Lord and you have that exploding debuff on you just about to run out.

Anyone should be able to do this really if players who have not played Warlock before can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamran View Post

I hope this can help.
    I appreciate the reply...as with most guides, fundamentally it all sounds great. The point is, the imps are 100% invincible. Out of around 162 wipes now I have never killed more than 3 or 4, and that must have just been dumb luck. I RoF 2 or 3 times, have the Lord breath on them, use Fire and Brimstone...they simply do not die ever. They can't be killed. I'm too far in to quit and luckily I do have 7 or 8 hours a day to play so I will be doing this fight 8 hours a day 7 days a week until the xpac... We'll see in the next few weeks if I can get to the Felhunter stage and if I can I might be able to get to Doom Lord by November..

I never saw any reason to use a portal on this fight, it wastes dps time on boss. Pop Sacrificial Pact and Twilight Ward and you can laugh off his Chaos Bolts every time. My first lock I did this on was 515 and he had no problem with the dmg he received.

It took a while to get the fight down. I'm a fairly new Warlock and it took me about 30-40 attempts I'd guess. I'm basing that off the fact that I took in a stack of +4,000 Intellect potions to start the fight with and had 6 left...

Anyways, what I do is DPS him in the beginning, and then when he summons the Pit Lord I use a Macro to Fear the Pit Lord. The Macro is:

#showtooltip Fear
    /target Pit Lord
    /cast Fear
    /targetlasttarget

This will effectively give you another 20 seconds on DPSing Kanrethad before he goes into his rotation. Once the fear is at about 2 Seconds left on the Pit Lord, I use another Macro to enslave him... This Macro can also be used to re-enslave him later in the fight. The macro is:

#showtooltip Enslave Demon
    /script PetDismiss()
    /target Pit Lord
    /cast Enslave Demon
    /targetlasttarget

Make sure to have the Pit Lord start attacking Kanrethad right away. Make sure to dismiss Dots (especially that damn Seed) as they come up. You can use Grimoire of Sacrifice and your Imp to take away a magic effect, or have your Pit Lord breathe on Kanrethad and you get in there as well. It's a highly mobile fight and you'll constantly need to be breathed on. For the Imp Phase, this is what I personally do and the imps go down in less than 5 seconds... When Kanrethad runs over to start channeling the summon for the Imps, the Pit Lord will move behind him. I stack under the Pit Lords butt and move my camera for an above view. I place down Rain of Fire in front of the Portal until I hear my Mana Ding that it is low. At the end of Kanrethad's channeling, I target an Imp and Charge with the Pit Lord and have him Breathe on them. Enable Fire and Brimstone and then Conflag and Incinerate and they should all go down.

You have to make sure to Target an Imp otherwise it doesn't work very well. There's too much distance between Kanrethad and the Imps so they will not be affected by the Charge and won't take double damage.

The next part that is a pain in the ass is the Fel Hunters. For this, I place the Pit Lord to the side of the Portal and I move to the other side. I place a few Rain of Fire's at the portal entrance so the Fel Hunters come out to me immediately. You have to make sure the Fel Hunters backs are completely to the Pit Lord other wise they will eat the Magic off the Pit Lord and it will cause issues. As for killing them, I Conflag and Havoc the first Fel Hunter, start casting Chaos Bolt on the second Fel Hunter, and then I target the third Fel Hunter. At the end of the Cast of Chaos Bolt, I have the Pit Lord charge and breathe fire. This should kill two of the Fel Hunters right away and bring the third Fel Hunter very low. Use Fel Fire and Shadowburn to get it down as fast as possible. This part will take some practice as well.

The Doom Lord is the easiest part of this entire fight honestly. When he is summoning the Doom Lord, this should be when you Dismiss your Doom Lord and re-enslave him. Make sure to continue DPSing Kanrethad as he's summoning. As soon as the Doom Lord appears, you will have your Pit Lord attack him as you DPS Kanrethad. After a few seconds, you put your Pit Lord back on Kanrethad.

You have to go through two phases of Imps, two phases of Fel Hunters, and two phases of Pit Lords. After that, he will just summons Imps. The above strategy for Imps really worked for me though and I think anyone would be able to do it this way.

Also, don't forget to take some Purification Potion just in case you need it. I know I needed it.

Edit:
    Oh, and I have 496 iLvl. I had all Timeless Isle Gear, with one piece having used a Burden of Eternity (Bracers.) The Weapon was still the Boosted 90 Staff (I boosted my Warlock from Lv 81 when I pre-ordered WoD.) I also have a Green Trinket since you can't get two Timeless Curios.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Edit2:

This is the spec I personally used:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...!110221!bYcVlK

With this spec, you use the Pit Lords heal heavily, but he has PLENTY of Health. Don't be afraid to abuse it.
    Last edited by RedDragon4275; 2014-09-11 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have a ilvl 485 warlock and am stuck on this fight... its an alt, so i dont know much about warlocks anyway.. what should i reforge for? crit/haste/mastery? (playing destro)

10+ Year Old Account
    Just managed to do it on my with a ilvl of 546. Came down to have to use my soulstone though. It was "fun" thats for sure.

I appreciate the reply...as with most guides, fundamentally it all sounds great. The point is, the imps are 100% invincible. Out of around 162 wipes now I have never killed more than 3 or 4, and that must have just been dumb luck. I RoF 2 or 3 times, have the Lord breath on them, use Fire and Brimstone...they simply do not die ever. They can't be killed. I'm too far in to quit and luckily I do have 7 or 8 hours a day to play so I will be doing this fight 8 hours a day 7 days a week until the xpac... We'll see in the next few weeks if I can get to the Felhunter stage and if I can I might be able to get to Doom Lord by November..
    Not sure how you are having such a hard time on the imps. I did it at around your ilvl (without legendary meta or cloak) so its definitely doable. Make sure you are using the soul leech talent, and ideally Grimoire of Sacrifice (i like to sac the void walker for the extra defensive CD)

Stand at the portal, so the imps stay nice and stacked up.
    Pop a defensive CD or 2 (Unending Resolve +the heal from pit lord)
    Keep up Rain of fire, then Shadowfury, then Fire and Brimstone Immolate and incinerate spam.
    With an imp targeted, have the pit lord charge and breath fire. (You can also SoulShatter here if you want - i never bothered with it)
    Done correctly they should be dead within 10-15 secs (maybe a straggler or 2 left)
    Use a healthstone if needed.

Make sure to have the pit lord breath fire on you after the imps to clear any dots K has cast on you in the mean time.
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2014-09-11 at 03:32 PM.

Ok so my warlock is probably like my 5th played character. So it's not even a main alt. I was somewhere in the vicinity of 511 ilevel (thanks TI gear) when I completed it and it took about ~15 wipes.

I was destro, ran Grim of Sac, Shadowfury, Soul Leech, Sac Pact, Unbound Will (which I did use a few times) and KJ

For me personally the felhunters were a nightmare. Not being my main class, I lacked that like reflex ability to handle certain situations that other main locks would. The guys who did it in anything less than 500 I assume play a warlock as one of their main characters. I died about 5 times to felhunters dispelling my Pit Lord until I figured out I need to park him like wayyyy back and way before they came out. Then also trying to get them down before the next problem to solve was pretty hectic.

I think the hardest part you really need to focus on is knowing as soon as one part is done, to quickly remember the next thing you need to solve and get to it. So many times I was handling something like a Pit Lord charge on Cata and then like had a 3sec mental zone-out and it was too late to get him away from the felhunters coming out. It just requires a really really high level of focus. When you execute it perfectly though, you will feel extremely rewarded.

If you're having trouble I'd recommend what other people are saying in getting more gear. Just keep practicing until the mechanics become routine and it will be easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarganthos View Post
    i have a ilvl 485 warlock and am stuck on this fight... its an alt, so i dont know much about warlocks anyway.. what should i reforge for? crit/haste/mastery? (playing destro)
    IMO do what you can to grab full Timeless gear and maybe do a few Ordos/Celestial kills to get near 500. I was 511 and the warlock was just an alt for me as well and it was really fucking tough. I died like 15 times.

- - - Updated - - -

I would just say get better gear. The Pit Lord breath + my RoF handled most. If there were stragglers I'd just pick them off. I was 511

The trick for me was always using the demonic gateway to wipe threat so Kanrethad was never targetting me, the buff/debuff it provides of being wiped from the threat table for a full minute keep Kanrethad from targetting you with Chaos Bolt so I never had to LoS it. I had an item in my inventory that automatically sent me through when I got close so I would just stand on the gateway and it would send me through without me having to think about it.

For Fel-hunters- Rain of Fire, Curse of elements, Havoc, change target, Chaos Bolt and then kill those 2 with a quick spell and then single target the 3rd one and ensure they never face the Pit Lord by placing him on the other side of the portal. If you're close you can have the Pit Lord charge them for an interrupt and flame them, but only do that unless you're sure he'll kill them otherwise the enslave will get taken off and you're screwed.

The hardest part about this fight is how quick stuff is happening. I just level up my warlock to 90 yesterday and while I can play my priest with my eyes closed, I feel so dumb on my lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamran View Post

1) Macro Demonic Siphon (which won't affect your GCD since it's a pet ability) into your Incinerate so that you're always healed on CD. Mine looked something like this:

#showtooltip Incinerate
    /startattack
    /cast Incinerate
    /cast Demonic Siphon

I hope this can help.
    Holy shit, thank you so much... Not a single guide mentions this Demonic Siphon ability. Every video I've watched, I've wondered why the people have their health topped off all the time while I'm getting my ass chunked on the imp phase.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    You have to make sure to Target an Imp otherwise it doesn't work very well. There's too much distance between Kanrethad and the Imps so they will not be affected by the Charge and won't take double damage.
    Ahh, this'll help, I've been targeting Kanrethad, not the imps.

- - - Updated - - -

So yeah killed him on my first try with Macroing Fel Flame Breath to Immolate and Demonic Siphon to Incinerate.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2014-09-11 at 05:02 PM.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.