Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by NickCageFanatic View Post
    So I have to ask. Why?
    When asking my father about this growing up, he told me that its usually the case of a self centered person subtlety leaving their mark on paper hence the emphasis on the "i".

So now I'll ask the public. What do you all think, is there any evidence to self centered behavior with circling eyes or perhaps it's just a feminine thing to do.
    I'm not really sure how likely that is, because it happens in some non-english countries too.
    In my country "I" is not the first person singular personal pronoun, so that reasoning is far fetched.

I always thought it was because you learn to write neatly in lower school, and the dot can become either untidy (e.g. more of a dash), or hard to see. So I think to make a nice dot some start to draw a tiny circle, that eventually grows out to a big thing. Back in the day (talking about 15-20 years back when I was in lower school), we used these ink pens and making a dot could actually spray out the ink somewhat, and spatter your paper. A small circle was one way to work around that issue.
    Why girls? Because they tend (at least from what I remember) to be more invested in a neat handwriting, they take pride in it.

I personally hate it

I don't dot my i. They are short little lowercase L and anyone who doesn't like it can piss off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zolok2.0 View Post
    This pisses me off. Why. Why? WHY? I don't understand why you'd want to take the simplest character, literally a line with a dot, and make it into something more difficult
    Because it looks cuter.

Really, that's it.

I used to do this in school as well. I had really neat, somewhat girly handwriting, and the teachers would always commend me on it, lol.

The reason I started circling my "i's" instead of dotting them is because the amount of pressure required to get the dot to show up meant I broke a lot of pencil lead (I preferred the mechanical ones). So I just started circling them instead.

I don't do it anymore, but then again, I honestly can't remember the last time I actually used a pencil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Circles are the devil.
    I dot my i's with pentagrams.
    Putin khuliyo

Its still an i, even with a circle or heart or whatever. Are people really autistic about quirks like this?

15+ Year Old Account
    I dot my i's with making a smaller version of i over my i.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    I think it's a leaving a mark thing.
    I would do something similar on my tests which was make the first letter of my name in 3D.
    Think so too, for me it is normally a curved start of the 'M'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    I think it's a leaving a mark thing.
    I would do something similar on my tests which was make the first letter of my name in 3D.
    Some of the more serious tests here are anonymous and if you leave a mark you might be disqualified. Basically the people who evaluate them don't know who's test is it.