Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
  1. #221
    Your lack of knowledge of its meaning in another language cannot be proven one way or another by blizzard.
    The policy has to remain equally applicable whether it is believed to be accidental or not, since the meaning remains even after an "explanation".
    It is just unfortunate when you come up with that through what is intended to be an innocent name.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  2. #222
    Moderator Rivelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Castiel's Army
    Posts
    5,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueshield View Post
    Also to add insult to injury, our guildie changed her name (since she gave up) and someone registered another char named Pollon on the same realm
    Noticed this comment slide by without anyone replying to it...

    It could be a coincidence, but that really sounds like people reported her because they wanted the name for themselves. That's entirely possible, because unfortunately some people do things like that. They have to realize that they could get reported for it and have it changed as well. Just have multiple people report them for the same reasons your friend had to have her name changed for.

    Also, completely random...I was telling my husband about this thread one day and he's since decided to incorporate "pollon" into conversation whenever he wants to refer to someone in a negative manner. :P

  3. #223
    I had to rename my Paladin ive had since day 1 of WoW. Was called Monkeynuts.... and I lost count of the times ive talked to GM's with that toon in the 9-10 years since I made it.

    Anyway, its called Mónkeynuts now...
    A collector of the aesthetically pleasing items, my bank is just full of stuff that will never see the light of day.


  4. #224
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    What do you guys think? Did the GM drop the ball in this case? Was the decision to force rename justified?
    Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages on the planet. I don't think it's unreasonable to force a name change if it is potentially offensive to a significant number of players. Even though she is on an English server, consider that when you participate in groupfinder content - LFG dungeons, LFR, LFG scenarios, Battlegrounds, Arenas etc, you are often going to be grouped with (or against) people from other servers, including that with significant numbers of Spanish speakers.


    I don't think it would have been reasonable to assume your guildie chose her name with any kind of intention of being offensive, and I think it's only fair to assume it was an innocent mistake. However there also didn't seem to be any kind of punishment attached to this action, so I can't see how the GM was out of line.

    It was an innocent mistake fixed in a non-punishing manner. The only real issue I see here is your guildie taking it personally, which is not going to help her in any way whatsoever. While she might have success in her petition to have the ruling overturned, she might also escalate a more severe response from Blizzard's customer support.

    Either way, it is likely that if she does pursue this matter, it will negatively affect her enjoyment of the game. She should just shrug it off as "one of those things" and get on with playing the game.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2014-09-05 at 04:18 PM.

  5. #225
    Dreadlord Aquarela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    wonderland
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    As I said, in Spanish slang it means "big dick".

    Interesting that even some Spanish people who chimed in weren't aware of the meaning. Could be due to the fact that it's spelled differently.
    Dude, that's BS right there. Some spanish people weren't aware of the meaning? yeah right.
    I'm not from Spain, but I've been living here 4 years, I am aware and I'm not even that social, a native will 100% know...

  6. #226
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Monekop View Post
    I had to rename my Paladin ive had since day 1 of WoW. Was called Monkeynuts.... and I lost count of the times ive talked to GM's with that toon in the 9-10 years since I made it.

    Anyway, its called Mónkeynuts now...
    Well good luck to you if you get reported again. I mean seriously, it's one thing to choose a dumb name once, why go and do it again? What exactly are you trying to prove?

    Several years ago a friend of mine playing our RP server named his hunter Rexxar. He was asked nicely by a GM to change his name. So he changed it to Gasmaskguy. A few months later he was told to change it again. This time the GM told him bluntly that if he chose another bad name he would start climbing the penalty volcano.

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    Dude, that's BS right there. Some spanish people weren't aware of the meaning? yeah right.
    I'm not from Spain, but I've been living here 4 years, I am aware and I'm not even that social, a native will 100% know...
    The "obscenity" of individual words of Spanish slang varies greatly from country to country.

    In English, we have "fuck/feck" not being a big deal in Ireland but the f-bomb elsewhere; "fanny" being a synonym for derriere in the US and not at all polite in the UK; "wank" being a word that no one in the US had even HEARD until Phil Collins used it on Miami Vice; "rubber" being an eraser in Australia; "stuffed" being a word you need to use very carefully in the UK/ANZ; and so on.

    Except in Spanish-speaking countries, the range in insult is vastly greater, the innocuous interpretation of a word in country X being "just a body part," and in country Y, using the same word will cause the person you say it to will immediately attempt to kill you if the opportunity is there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •