Page 1 of 2
LastLast

ACCC (Australian Authorities) to Sue Valve over Refund Policy

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/29/va...umer-watchdog/

Basically; Australian law says that companies have to provide refunds under all circumstances, whereas Valve only does so in a few cases.

The case is set for October 7th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hans't this been posted several times already?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    None that I've seen.

OT: I'm all for it. There needs to be better return/refund policies with digital goods, and I'm always a fan of giving consumers more power/rights.

Wait, so in Australia you can basically buy anything, decide you don't like it, then go for a refund?

Well, I guess something good had to balance out all the deadly plants, spiders, snakes, scorpions, dingos, kangaroos, emus and everything else.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

I'd rather there were more demo versions of the games available instead of refunds. I don't think they'll get anywhere with suing Valve, except maybe even harsh restrictions for that region or an overall close-up so whatever.

The EU had some concerns recently. The Australian case is new though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope that the ACCC wins, and that it opens Steam's eyes.

My biggest gripe about Steam is that if I buy a game and there is something seriously wrong with it, I'm SOL. They should take a Google Play-like stance. For 30 minutes after it is fully downloaded you can request a refund. Or better yet you can request a refund up until you reach 1 hour /played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    The EU had some concerns recently. The Australian case is new though.
    Naw, found it in the general off-topic forums.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Sue-Steam-Corp

So long as I'm not just going crazy.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by aiko-chan View Post

My biggest gripe about Steam is that if I buy a game and there is something seriously wrong with it, I'm SOL. They should take a Google Play-like stance. For 30 minutes after it is fully downloaded you can request a refund. Or better yet you can request a refund up until you reach 1 hour /played.
    Reading comments, reviews and watching videos of gameplay, both official and from players, can keep you away from buying something you wont like you usually. And if there's a demo available you can even try it out. Or there is even an easier way to try out a game before buying that we all know of.

I can attest to that... stupid Sonic Adventure being labeled as Controller compatible yet it isn't.

Granted it was only like $3 though.

10+ Year Old Account

My concern would be that in exchange for a returns system (like Origin has) Steam would need to implement stricter DRM (like Origin has).

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Reading comments, reviews and watching videos of gameplay, both official and from players, can keep you away from buying something you wont like you usually. And if there's a demo available you can even try it out. Or there is even an easier way to try out a game before buying that we all know of.
    Someone has to buy it before the reviews start flowing.

Those people should be entitled to a refund imo.

- - - Updated - - -

My concern would be that in exchange for a returns system (like Origin has) Steam would need to implement stricter DRM (like Origin has).
    Hmm maybe but I don't think Steam would be willing to upset its loyal customers. They're a little more consumer friendly than 'lil old evil EA. The only potential revenue Steam would lose would be from games that are unplayable or just...seriously bad. Especially allowing only 30 minutes to an hour for a refund.

valve doesnt give refunds unless required by local law as per their tos, they are required to by law in australia, and they havnt been doing so, so it should be an easy case

EnterElysium has just posted a quick breakdown of what all this means.

Deleted
    Here's an alternative solution to asking for refunds in the vast majority of cases: stop buying horrible shit that no one else likes either !

Quote Originally Posted by chiflutz View Post
    Here's an alternative solution to asking for refunds in the vast majority of cases: stop buying horrible shit that no one else likes either !
    And my response:

Someone has to buy it before the reviews start flowing.

Those people should be entitled to a refund imo.

Deleted
    A 1h try-before-you-buy on steam would be amazing. Never going to happen, but one can wish ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    And my response:
    Oft times reviewers can get free review versions of games so no, they don't necessarily have to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Wait, so in Australia you can basically buy anything, decide you don't like it, then go for a refund?

Well, I guess something good had to balance out all the deadly plants, spiders, snakes, scorpions, dingos, kangaroos, emus and everything else.
    I believe there has to be a reasonable cause to return an item.

Not working as advertised, faulty, perhaps if you change your mind before opening the box. Stores can have "no refunds" signs but it's illegal to deny a refund under legitimate circumstances.

15+ Year Old Account
    yup, in Australia we are entitled to a refund, repair, or replacement.