Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well, I'm french and our government is keeping up with its usual habit of always making the worst possible decision.

Even without that money problem, we're now the guys who can't honor a fucking deal. Everybody will just build their ships (and other stuff) elsewhere from now on. Somewhere they don't "delay" delivery on written, agreed on, already paid international deals.

The contract was signed and they should deliver on it. This'll just push tensions between the two, and it makes it highly unlikely that Russia will ever order anything to that degree again from France.

Not to mention, I doubt France can afford to not take the money ...

Deleted
    Read somewhere that analysts have been suggesting to sell these to Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Koini View Post
    They wouldn't be able to just sell them else-where. Russia has designed these, they're not going to let another country get a real insight into their latest designs of military hardware.

Also, Russia has already paid ~$1B for them, so they'd need to reimburse that first, and then sell, still not making a profit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    They wouldn't be able to just sell them else-where. Russia has designed these, they're not going to let another country get a real insight into their latest designs of military hardware.

Also, Russia has already paid ~$1B for them, so they'd need to reimburse that first, and then sell, still not making a profit.
    Except for one of the leading NATO forces that actually built them.

They haven't paid anything, and to stop their shit going elsewhere, they'd have to literally invade Europe.

Nobody who is neutral or against Russia will have any qualms in dealing with the French having made this decision any more than they would have otherwise. Actions that impede Russia will very likely buy France political capital in many spheres.

Deleted
    Have no illusions, they will sell these to Russia later on when the hassle in the Ukraine is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    They haven't paid anything, and to stop their shit going elsewhere, they'd have to literally invade Europe.

Nobody who is neutral or against Russia will have any qualms in dealing with the French having made this decision any more than they would have otherwise. Actions that impede Russia will very likely buy France political capital in many spheres.
    That's what iv'e been saying as well. I never understood how they would look bad canceling a deal to a madman who has threatened WW3 to defend his interests.

With NATO having a new purpose, and with Europe increasing their defence budgets I doubt it will be that hard to sell them. Heck, even Japan or south Korea could take them! Japan is building up its military due to the threat from China, and South Korea is as well due to both North Korea and China as well.

and to dispell the rumors, Russia has not paid a dime and will not until they receive the 2nd ship. in 2015 or 2016 I forget.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Koini View Post
    They have also said to sell them to A NATO member or even a member of the EU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saah View Post
    Currently in Russia there is too much freedom, you can freely do things, that would cause you be arrested in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Except for one of the leading NATO forces that actually built them.
    Big difference between a nation that's contracted to build it, and it being sold to one though.

Deleted
    Big difference between a nation that's contracted to build it, and it being sold to one though.
    It doesn't matter, whatever secrets were involved in the construction France is now fully aware of and what France knows the rest of NATO knows.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    It doesn't matter, whatever secrets were involved in the construction France is now fully aware of and what France knows the rest of NATO knows.
    We are one mind :O

(I thought the tech was french, and Russia was buying the tech along with the ships).

10+ Year Old Account
    http://media.defenceindustrydaily.co...rancais_lg.gif

I dont realy see a big deal. Those ships cant realy do any damage.
    A single plane can take them out (no AA).
    They are just overpriced transport ships with helipads.

Those things would be a much better and cheaper:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Alligator.jpg
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post

It wouldn't be such a big deal, if the person they plan on selling it to didn't just annex another country, violate several international laws and make eyebrow raising comments about nukes and how fast they could take the capital of another country.

Their military atm, is still far from being modernized. However, if this deal goes through, it will be a big step into making the russian army a world threat... instead of a regional threat.
    Currently in Russia there is too much freedom, you can freely do things, that would cause you be arrested in USA.

Deleted
    Ahah fumblz is this the kind of discussion you wanted to spark out of this thread? It doesn't matter if France breaks an international deal signed already cause anyway Russia is the bad guy?
    how fucking immature is this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really understood the point of Helicarriers. Why not just build a full blown Amphib? America already has Amphibious Readiness Groups which are almost as effective as a full blown Carrier Strike Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post

Those are in no way comparable, a hovercraft can be lunched from ship to shore, but you can't take a hovercraft around the world, for that you need ships like the Mistral class ships, the same type of ships that you consider overpriced helipads... nor do you got any of the other facilities that an amphibibious assault ship got(hospital for example), the 3 Mistrals that the french navy operate carry two simbad SAM systems btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    I've never really understood the point of Helicarriers. Why not just build a full blown Amphib? America already has Amphibious Readiness Groups which are almost as effective as a full blown Carrier Strike Group.
    What do you mean? The Mistrals are full blown amphibibious assault ships, they are similiar to the amphibibious assault ships the US use in their Amphibious Readiness Groups.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-09-04 at 11:24 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Those are in no way comparable, a hovercraft can be lunched from ship to shore, but you can't take a hovercraft around the world, for that you need ships like the Mistral class ships, the same type of ships that you consider overpriced helipads... nor do you got any of the other facilities that an amphibibious assault ship got(hospital for example), the 3 Mistrals that the french navy operate carry two simbad SAM systems btw.

What do you mean? The Mistrals are full blown amphibibious assault ships, they are similiar to the amphibibious assault ships the US use in their Amphibious Readiness Groups.
    The only thing they use for air superiority is helicopters though. For comparison, the LHD class America uses carries VTOL jets as well as a large assortment of helicopters, with its marine detachment, and will be supported by DDGs. Just seems silly to build a amphib without guaranteeing air superiority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    The only thing they use for air superiority is helicopters though. For comparison, the LHD class America uses carries VTOL jets as well as a large assortment of helicopters, with its marine detachment, and will be supported by DDGs. Just seems silly to build a amphib without guaranteeing air superiority.
    It's unlikely the Russians will ever operate them where they wouldn't receive air-cover from land-based airfields.

Because America is separated from much of the rest of the world by two oceans, our history and thinking is strongly shaped by 'sea power'. Russia is the largest nation on Earth and occupies a huge chunk of (Eur)Asia - long distance naval operations simply don't occupy the same place in Russian history and thought. Yes, carriers with capacity for carrying aircraft to operate in the air superiority role are better for distant force projection. But if all the Russians are concerned about is their (huge) periphery, then the amphibs are fine for that role.

And as an aside, the Russian Navy operates MiG-29s, Su-33s, and Su-25s on Admiral Kuznetsov - anyone know if the Mistrals could support any of them?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the French seem to be making it clear that they want to have their cake and eat it too on the Mistrals.

"In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Ahah fumblz is this the kind of discussion you wanted to spark out of this thread? It doesn't matter if France breaks an international deal signed already cause anyway Russia is the bad guy?
    how fucking immature is this?
    No, the discussion I want is about the mistral deal. Which, as you can see, is happening in this thread. I can't help the fact that, like I said, A majority of the people do not agree with your point of view. I did nothing to stop people who have differing opinions post in this thread, so don't act like I did anything.

Immature? Apparently you are/were to blinded by your rage to understand the irony in this. You come into this thread, post nothing constructive, post a personal attack against me...yet i'm the immature one?

What the hell, your all over the place with this and none of it is even remotely factually correct.

They haven't paid for them yet.

Also, the Mistral is a French design that they are willing to sell to other nations. There is nothing Russian designed in them.
    That's why many Russians are so wary of the purchase to begin with, the damn things run on a fuel that they themselves do not produce (can't and will not produce last I heard) nor will they be able to produce their own spare parts.

If France were to cancel the sale, it'd be the best thing for Russia as it looks like they're headed for a boondoggle with these ships.