Deleted

How do you find a decent guild when you return to WoW?

How do you find a proper guild nowadays without just blindly trying your luck with random ones and hoping for the best? I want to be a raider again in WoD, but having not played the game with any real persistence since WotLK, I have no network. None of my friends play, I don't know anybody, and WoW's community and guild environment is an absolute mess these days. Instead of a server having a dozen guilds that most people know about, they have ten thousand guilds and not one of them are noteworthy (unless your server has a guild in the top 20 or something).

I've been playing for a couple of weeks to get used to the game again and I'm entirely willing to move servers as well, given the free level 90 boost you get with WoD. However, without having a target, I would have to resort to asking in general chat or looking at the realm forums, which isn't exactly something I'm optimistic about. I don't expect to leap into some kind of top raiding guild after years away from the scene, but I also don't want to waste my first month in WoD going from one hopelessly awful guild to another.

How does one find a decent guild without any network of friends to rely on, and what are the signs to look for? It feels like there's no dependable way back into this game if you don't know somebody. The server community aspect is an absolute circus these days.
    Last edited by mmocc9bca2205f; 2014-10-04 at 12:05 PM.

Knowing someone does help, mostly because I believe the game to be about friends first and foremost. It's hard to find that in a guild of strangers. Your definition of noteworthy leads me to think you want a guild more focused on progression though. It will be hard to prove yourself to a "noteworthy" guild having not been around for the past couple expansions, as you said. In WoD I would say to actually try to talk to people who are doing the things that you like doing. I made lots of friends just tooling around with other likeminded people while on the Timeless Isle of 5.4. and I'm sure WoD will offer many opportunities like that.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by Noselacri View Post
    How do you find a proper guild nowadays without just blindly trying your luck with random ones and hoping for the best? I want to be a raider again in WoD, but having not played the game with any real persistence since WotLK, I have no network. None of my friends play, I don't know anybody, and WoW's community and guild environment is an absolute mess these days. Instead of a server having a dozen guilds that most people know about, they have ten thousand guilds and not one of them are noteworthy (unless your server has a guild in the top 20 or something).

I've been playing for a couple of weeks to get used to the game again and I'm entirely willing to move servers as well, given the free level 90 boost you get with WoD. However, without having a target, I would have to resort to asking in general chat or looking at the realm forums, which isn't exactly something I'm optimistic about. I don't expect to leap into some kind of top raiding guild after years away from the scene, but I also don't want to waste my first month in WoD going from one hopelessly awful guild to another. How does one find a decent guild, and what are the signs to look for? It feels like there's no dependable way back into this game if you don't know somebody.
    Luckily, come WoD, despite in Mythic modes, you'll be able to join someones raid on a different server than you.

There are several guild recruitment forums around. Theres one right here on MMO champ Ive had good luck with in the past. Theres also always of course the official forums and realm forums.

Fill out some applications to some guilds at a level of progress similar to your own. If you're a returning raider, maybe look for a guild that did ok in SoO but didn't clear most/all heroics. Do a vent interview. Run a few raids cross realm before you decide to xfer anywhere. Now, before WoD comes out is actually a good time to try and do SoO with different guilds to find one you think would be a good fit to go into WoD with, assuming you have the gear and the time.

Look for a guild with a history. Look for a guild with a sense of community that likes each other and has ties beyond the gear grind. Look for a guild who has an officer core/raid lead/guild lead you can respect. Look for a guild on a large server that will allow them to recruit, or a guild on a smaller server that is just...really good at recruiting. Most guilds will fail and fall apart. But there are plenty of good ones out there now, and more to come, to enjoy raiding with into WoD and beyond I'm sure

Depends what type of guild are you looking for?
    Hardcore?
    Casual?
    Friends and family?
    If you put in chat what type you are looking for or pay attention to guilds advertising in chat you can find the one you want.
    It could take a few to find the right fit.
    If you looking for a casual guild that raids a lot but we have fun my guild exodus on Fizzcrank is always willing to take on new people.

go to wowprogress site for your realm and find top guilds visit their website and apply with an APP. Thats how i got into good raiding guilds back in the day. Nowadays though I've gotten up to 14/14 normal and 1/14 H without ever needing a guild just doing random groups with oqueue... so yeah lol you could always do that route and raid when you wanna raid

1. Guilds that recruit on the forums is your go-to; supplying you all the information you need. Plus it means they aren't simply picking just anyboduy up off of trade.
    2. In addition; guilds that require you to apply on their website means that they are looking for actual people who want to be apart of it; not just lazy trade inviters.

Wowprogress.com

If you're not willing to leave your server, search for your server on there and see what guilds there are and what progress they've had at what level. Apply to ones that match you.

Don't expect to get into super competitive guilds without appropriate experience etc.

If you are willing to leave your server, then try to find a guild that suits your goals and experience.

OP... you are just not serious and I hope not a single guild will fall into getting you.

I had the exact same problem as you... but I am willing to spend some time once WOD comes out and gear up even with guilds that do not have the progress I want and then apply to a proper guild.
    You are saying that you don't even want to spend a month of your time guildHopping until you get some gear and get to a better guild... You just want to jump into a guild that does well without having played in the past 3-4 years. How is that possible mate? how will a proper guild that has its core members trust you if they know that you are a liability and you might say oh Id like to quit again and just leave?

Sorry for being so harsh and straightforward but ye thats how you sound (Not willing to farm and play until you get somewhere but get invited to a good guild just like that).

Also some other people said about getting into guilds with less progress or maybe not everything cleared etc, well even that its not viable. Its easy to get into a guild that does 12/14 hc SoO despite that you won't have any gear atm to help them with their progress. But would you stay in a guild that its stuck in SoO for a year?

I mean noawdays you see those guilds that advertise 11/14 hc soo or 13/14 hc soo and you are like oh they must be good, but deep inside you have to think that this guild had a whole year to clear a raid and they still havent done it. So don;t expect them to be any good when WOD comes out, their progress will be casual.

Same applies to those 10m guilds that turn into Mythic 20m... that is even gonna be harder, I wouldn't join a guild that has 14/14hc SoO 10m and its just turning to 20m for Mythic. They are not going to have the same progress.

Anyways, if you really want to play the game, best thing to do is fill up some applications on why you are exceptional, and you are going to get rejected 95% of the times cause good guilds will say ok he is skilled he has experience of old content etc etc, but he is not liable since he hasnt played for 4 years, he might come in play for 2 months and then get bored.
    Best choise is the thing you hate ... 1-2 months in WOD pugging, or doing runs with casual guilds or whatever, gear up and then apply.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noselacri View Post

I've been playing for a couple of weeks to get used to the game again and I'm entirely willing to move servers as well, given the free level 90 boost you get with WoD. However, without having a target, I would have to resort to asking in general chat or looking at the realm forums, which isn't exactly something I'm optimistic about. I don't expect to leap into some kind of top raiding guild after years away from the scene, but I also don't want to waste my first month in WoD going from one hopelessly awful guild to another.

How does one find a decent guild without any network of friends to rely on, and what are the signs to look for? It feels like there's no dependable way back into this game if you don't know somebody. The server community aspect is an absolute circus these days.
    I was in a somewhat similar situation last year; I had taken about a six month leave from WoW, and I started playing only to find that my guild had basically eroded to nothing, hardly anyone on, a lot of transfers out, and we were on a quiet server. Since I wanted to raid, I looked for who was recruiting, whose raid schedule matched my schedule, and put in an app. I got lucky on my first try; the guild was perfect for me, and I am still with the guild now.

Really, it is about all you can do; see what kind of feel you get during the app/interview, and decide if it is a good fit for you. This is actually not a terrible time to look since you'd have some time to get used to new people without the pressure of progression. Good luck!
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

wowprogress.com
    realm forums
    guild recruitment forums
    MMO champion recruitment forums

Don't just blindly join a bunch of guilds that recruit in trade chat and hope to get lucky. Look at their previous progression. Look at their leader's previous progression. Look at their roster turnover, their loot rules, etc. Check out their websites and don't be unwilling to fill out an app. (Generally guilds that require apps are far, far more picky about who they choose, which is usually a good thing)

Deleted
    Try not to cry, roll over, cry a lot.

I dunno, I'll just join my old guild, I'm too tired to invest time in looking for a good guild.

Deleted
    Gear up to the best you can without doing raids. Then watch for trade chat ads that look useful. Apply.
    *If once in the guild that Add Member button is not greyed out for you, meaning anyone can invite anyone, leave immediately as that's a trash guild.
    *If once in the guild you notice they don't have a voicechat server nor plans to get one soon, leave immediately as that's a trash guild

Be prepared to transfer around abit as many guilds claim they can raid but you may notice they can hardly get enough players interested in a raid, then they lack tanks/healers, and once you actually get to raid you start to notice some players in the raid are scrublords, so progression isn't likely to go anywhere anytime soon.

I recommend you to be guildless until you find a guild, don't even join leveling/trash guilds.

I'm a solo player and always found raiding guilds. If you're good and have some proof you're good, you'll find a guild, no worries.