3DS XL, which games?

I recently was gifted a 3ds XL. I should note that I have never had any of the hand held Nintendo systems and have been out of the Nintendo scene for a good while, like late 1990's long. So my biggest question is which games are the hands down games one should have with this system? I currently only have the Zelda game which came with the system.

My favorite genre of games is in general RPGs. Pretty much any form of them as long as they aren't straight grind fests. But when it comes to Nintendo I cannot say I am shy about the main franchise titles. Can't say really any genre is consider garbage to me in the long run.

But I am about to be spending about 10-20 hours a week on airplanes and spending several nights a week away from the family and will be needing to expand my library somewhat quickly. So spit me out some lists. Help a brother out. Also on a side subject is there any accessories that one might find very valuable for the system as well? Anyways, let me know.

Only game I know of that has a Lot of hours to play is Pokemon. That is however, if you breed / do in game competitions. I dont know any games with a lot of re playability that will last a long time. Should take a look at a view games on their website or youtube gameplay footage.

Fire Emblem Awakening, Tales of the Abyss, and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team in that order. People seem to like Bravely Default a lot too. I played the demo and wasn't a huge fan. Admittedly, I didn't really give it a fair chance.

I don't have any accessories and are not aware of any I would want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Bravely Defauly
    All of the applicable pokemon games
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf (if you're into that sort of thing)

and my person favorite: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    GET BRAVELY DEFAULT, it's good, quite good, im currently on chapter 4 and i feel like the story should end now or soon but there are 2 more chapters, might feel that it's a stretch, Fire emblem is a definate must, if you want you can try shin megami tensei, that's a very hardcore rpg :P
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Which Zelda game did it come with? Because if it wasn't Link Between Worlds (Which it probably was anyway), you should get that.

Also Tales of the Abyss.

Should possibly look into Persona Q, that comes out in a few months.
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was pretty good too, not really an RPG but still good

I think you might also like Shin Megami Tensei IV. I've also heard good things about the Etrian Odyssey games if you're into dungeon crawlers.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

There are two Zelda games on the 3DS right now, an "Ocarina of Time" remake, and "a Link between Worlds". you mentioned one of them came with your 3DS so might as well grab the other.

Fire Emblem.

I only played the Bravely Default demo but I enjoyed it and I've heard great things.

Pokemon X/Y

Original DS pokemon games can be played on the 3DS and could be picked up for 20-30 bucks depending on which version you buy. Though wouldn't recommend Heart Gold/Soul Silver as they're a little more expensive.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Make sure you get a Circle Pad Pro, however.

Also Metal Gear Solid 3....Same as above.

Other than those two, everyone else has covered the must-haves.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bravely Default, Pokemon, Shin Megami Tensei, Link Between Worlds at a minimum. All games themselves are worth the purchase alone imo. There are plenty of other games, but those I can easily suggest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is amazing, it's graphics are really good, the story mode is fun and can be very challenging at higher intensities, and the PvP mode is a lot of fun and very smooth

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance also has really good graphics and is pretty good, I was surprised at how similar it felt to playing the PS2 KH games, although it isn't as good as they are

Kirby Triple Deluxe and Tomodachi Life are both fun cute games, more relaxing than most but not any less enjoyable

Super Smash Bros for 3DS is coming out in Oct, and that will be really good

And Pokemon

Also I've never tried it myself but I've heard great things about Mario Kart 7, I've been meaning to get it for a while but just never get around to it
    Last edited by Ostrich; 2014-08-30 at 02:52 AM.

If you like RPGs, Fire Emblem Awakening is a must have, followed closely by Bravely Default. Bravely Default has random battles, so I suppose you could consider it a little grindy, but they do it in a way that makes it fun. The Pokemon games are also great RPGs at their core.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is one of the best Zelda games in years, and definitely worth playing as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of the Pokemon games are great, I personally have over 400 hrs on X version, but that all depends on how into it you are. The new Luigi's Mansion is pretty fun and Mario Kart is always a good option with high replay value. As said before Fire Emblem is a timeless choice also.

As far as accessories go, extra stylus are always nice, especially if you use yours often. A larger SD card is a good option if you plan to have music, pictures, etc. on the device. Also a small game case that holds 12 games or so is helpful. Like: http://www.amazon.com/eForCity%C2%AE...9367186&sr=8-2

Hope this helps!

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Bravely Defauly
    All of the applicable pokemon games
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf (if you're into that sort of thing)

and my person favorite: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
    cant forget legend of zelda
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    If you like RPGs, Fire Emblem Awakening is a must have, followed closely by Bravely Default. Bravely Default has random battles, so I suppose you could consider it a little grindy, but they do it in a way that makes it fun. The Pokemon games are also great RPGs at their core.
    One nice thing about the random battles of Bravely Default however, is that you can change the rate at which you encounter them. Anywhere from 0 to +100%.

Overall I really liked the first 80% of Bravely Default. Then it became a grindfest.

Agree on Fire Emblem as well. Solid game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bravely Default
    Monster Hunter or GTFO
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    One nice thing about the random battles of Bravely Default however, is that you can change the rate at which you encounter them. Anywhere from 0 to +100%.

Overall I really liked the first 80% of Bravely Default. Then it became a grindfest.

Agree on Fire Emblem as well. Solid game.
    That grindfest was made stupidly easy at least. Max battle speed and 100% encounter rate made any grinding I felt I needed a breeze.

First of all thanks for the numerous replies! Also to be specific the Zelda game is Link Between Worlds.

Fire Emblem Awakening is one I will for sure be picking up. I remember the franchise from when I was younger and always enjoyed them.
    Bravely Default is another, looks like a time consuming RPG in the traditional style.
    I also kind of already planned on picking up a Pokemon game from time to time as I work though them

How about any non-RPG titles? I will certainly be picking up the latest Mario Kart game. Likely the latest Mario title as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Fox and Ocarina of Time were well done releases imo. You could consider picking them up as well. If you enjoy pokemon, you could also consider Shin Megami Tensei IV. It's kind of like pokemon, but with demons. Mario 3d land is good if you're looking for some platforming as is DK Country Returns.

Spend some time on the eshop as well, specifically for the virtual console games. You can find some old games that are still fun today.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Spend some time on the eshop as well, specifically for the virtual console games. You can find some old games that are still fun today.
    For sure! I kind of forgot about this. I will certainly be picking up some older classic titles to play.