Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really want to say, yes, you are the only one.

Of course, I wont, for we all have our opinions. Ulduar just held many more 'woah' features than other raids. One thing was Algalon's room, another... I just LOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEED the train section before Mimiron. Sadly, I don't have my old HDD at hand for those screenshots right now, but have one from a while back, I always end up staring at it. Loving the area, ride, room, looks..

FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    You're not reading well or something? Your opinion, not fact. Also, we're not talking about one feature of the raid. We're talking about all features in the raid taken as whole.
    Reading comprehension being hard is a problem at your end not mine. All I'm doing is proving the people who use absolutes "everything about Ulduar this or that was perfect" wrong, and all it takes is one counterexample that wasnt... well... perfect. And indeed we're talking about the raid as taken as a whole, including it's obvious flaws that people with nostalgia goggles on can't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Wut? Hodir was an interesting positioning fight.
    Thorim not that much, but it was also fun exactly because it was so tightly tuned.
    - DPS-check is as valid tactic as any else. Your precious Garrosh the Dumb, AKA Brown Nazi, for example, contains ton of dps checks.
    - Thorim as a boss had an untypical tactics.
    I was talking about the hard modes and only about the hard modes, nothing else regarding those bosses. What was interesting in the hard modes of the two? Nothing. So you can't say all hard modes in Ulduar were interesting. Got it now?

I have no idea what are you talking about the Mimiron trash. It was hard but you are exaggerating. There is nothing wrong with trash that you can't LOLAOE down.
    I guess you didn't do the instance during first week then... Even Ensidia spent more than hour clearing Mimiron trash...

Kologarn wasn't broken (ok it was slightly overtuned) but it could be overcome with more gear. I don't understand what is your problem with bosses that only the best of the best can kill?
    Yep, That confirms you didn't do it first week. It was way overtuned. And what's wrong with having 2nd boss of instance more difficult than last one? I'll let you riddle that out all alone... Hopefully you'll understand it without more hints.

What do you mean about the Algalon false ending?
    YS was false ending. It had nothing to do with Storm Peaks or Ulduar. Hiding the real (Algalon) ending behind hard modes was bad bad bad decision from Blizzard.

- Yes, SSC was as nonlinear as Ulduar. Although, SSC had no epic story
    And what storyline has got to do with the discussion of non-linearity? You trying to change the subject or something?

My opinion is: you either didn't play Ulduar when it was current raid tier; or you're just a hipster, which has nothing to proud of beyond "i'm so not mainstream look at me how cool i am".
    My opinion is you're just a twit whose hiding behind "you never did the instance as current content" when you're losing an argument. The other guy (Mihalik) already proven he actually didn't do it as current content since he had no knowledge of the tuning issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    You know you can do the achi over several lockouts, right...?
    You know that doesn't make it any less stupid achi, right...?

Deleted
    Terrible theme, buggy and started with an effing vehicle fight.

I did some of Ulduar at 80 (towards the end of the xpac) and loved it. Through helping people farm since them Ive grown to loathe it and now Im moving back to enjoying it again. Wish Id been part of a progress group when it was released

7+ Year Old Account
    Ulduar was one of my favorite raids, but then again I'm a big fan of the Titan lore. I hope they come back someday.

I didn't like Ulduar from stylistic point of view, but aside of that, it was an amazing raid. Pinnacle of raids, really. Main reason for it being that it offered something to both casuals (normal way of killing bosses) and hardcores (overtuned, superhard alternative way to kill bosses), while rewarding only few items that were barely upgrade over normal loot. Yes, sure, they were better, but there was a slight difference, not a whole tier difference between the casual and hardcore players, something that turns me personally (among other things) away off modern WoW for good. I could clear it all in a month and get best gear and I didn't feel like I'm some kind of inferior being to super-hardcores. I felt absolutely equal. If they'd kept raids this way and kept gear difference between normal and heroic at a minimum, I'm sure they'd have a lot more players.

i've never been a fan of titans and old god shit. i mean, it's ok, but i prefer legion and horde vs. alliance.

as a raid itself, i didn't really care. i went when called to by my guild, other than that, i didn't think much on it because i'm not even really into raiding. it's always been about looking pretty and killing shit fast for me.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was one of WoW's best raids, period.

Simply by the fact of the amount of people who liked it, it's lore, design... everything was good, pretty much.

Then again, there will always be peopel who think otherwise.

Ulduar just had a ton of shit to do and the scale of it was quite immense. There were so many changes in scenery throughout the raid that it felt like several raids in one. You don't see that anymore.

There were achievements for days, activated hard-modes and so much variety that you could pretty much clear the raid however you wanted. It was the complete opposite of the linear raids we've seen so much of in recent years.

Aesthetically speaking, I think the reason it appealed so much to people is do to the overall mystery of the place. It tied in well with the story of Storm Peaks and Sons of Hodir daily questline. We entered Ulduar with Brann Bronzebeard to explore it and find answers to questions about the Titans, but we ended up getting more than we bargained for.

Raiding in Ulduar was just one hell of an adventure. It was one of the few raids where I felt like I was there for the fun of it, and not just to kill bosses and collect loot.
    Last edited by OneSent; 2014-08-30 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    My opinion is you're just a twit whose hiding behind "you never did the instance as current content" when you're losing an argument.
    You can't "lose", these are opinions. What, you think I suddenly just "Oh my. Fixx, you opened my eyes! Ulduar truly sucked! My memories are wrong!!11"? You didn't like Ulduar, it is perfectly OK. I did like Ulduar, it's perfectly OK too. Your opinion on this matter is equally as good as mine. But you won't be able to prove me that I didn't like Ulduar, lol, because I did. Obviously.

Note to myself: Stop baiting on stupid troll topics on MMOC.
    Last edited by l33t; 2014-08-30 at 12:36 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Ulduar has long been beaten by Throne of Thunder.
    Both raids had horrible bosses though, Ulduar had YS, Throne had Tortos.

Deleted
    Diddle = Jaylock 2.0 ( looking at all his threads )

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    I didn't hate it, but it's vastly overrated and only just above average.

Can be said about every raid that has more than one boss. Even ToC.

Nope. Some of them were just "dps boss harder" or "press this button" (which somehow through nostalgia goggles look more glorious than "press this other button in the UI"). And some were "dps that thing before this thing" we've seen before all the way starting from vanilla. Those were not unique nor interesting.

So what? You have basically 6 difficulties in SoO.

Can be said for about half of the raids in the game.

Nope. Last boss required you to backtrack to halfway of the instance. The layout was rather broken.

Can be said for about half of the raids in the game.

And then hid the most important lore behind heroic only boss which was fucking braindead idea. Meaning 99% of players who did step into Ulduar never got to see the end of the Storm Peaks titan storyline. Instead they were fed some Old Gods bullshit that wasn't implied anywhere else in the expansion.

Can be said for about half of the raids in the game. Starting from Molten Bore and AQ40 in vanilla all the way to Terrace of Eternal Spring in MoP.

1) There's no pattern
    2) MC, AQ40, Karazhan, SSC, TK, BT... all of those had at least as much nonlinear progression, some even more than Ulduar. So what did it start again?

Highly subjective.

And also the most complained raid boss probably ever, because people don't like vehicles.
    Your entire line of arguement is negated by the fact you're taking stuff and responding with stuff that takes the phrases out of their context in relation to the raid and are responses to the neutral sentence itself. not to how it was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Your entire line of arguement is negated by the fact you're taking stuff and responding with stuff that takes the phrases out of their context in relation to the raid and are responses to the neutral sentence itself. not to how it was used.
    Long list of arguments was splitted apart into individual elements but nothing's taken out of context. If you can't do better than throw baseless inane accusations maybe you shouldn't post anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only person that reads, "Am I the only person..." threads, as complete and utter ANNOYANCES?

Blatant fishing, for pointless attention, about nothing...

Please, stop. Opening a thread with that line is either flame bait or echo chamber bullshit.

Grow an brain.

Deleted
    I remember leading our weekendly pug raid through it. We cleared all on heroic in our guilds, but killing yogg with 24 randoms was one most fulfilling moments for me in wow. Probably because this was my only time raid leading too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markred View Post
    Diddle = Jaylock 2.0 ( looking at all his threads )
    As far as I can tell, he's the unloved, adopted step child of Saladrin and Jaylock. He's just trying to do his illegitimate love guardians proud.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I actually didn't like Ulduar too much when it was current, though I can't recall for what specific reason. Having gone back and done it many times afterward though, I've come to love it. Algalon is probably one of my favorite fights ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I have to ask OP, what exactly do you want from a raid? I can understand not liking a theme, and you said that, but were there other major detractors for you?

Not every fight was memorable, it's true. Ignus, Razorscale, Auriaya and Freya are decidedly not what I think of when remembering Ulduar. But in the context of what fights were like before, it was extremely ambituous. It has by far the most achievements of any raid tier. It has multiple fights with multiple dynamic difficulty settings (Flame Leviathan, Yogg). It hosted a superboss (Algalon) and you pretty much only get one of those an expansion. Mimiron to this die is a very unique fight, even if it gave the healers PTSD.

It's actually not my favorite raid. In fact, I don't think ICC was much worse believe it or not. But I think Ulduar is as much as anyone can realistically ask for in a tier

EDIT: I'll give you one thing though, for the life of me I can't remember Ulduar's music. That's a bad thing. I remember MC, Kara, BT, SWP, ToC (yes, I remember ToC's), ICC and many other raids music. I can't for the life of me remember Ulduar's. Music is very important to me, so I'll concede a point
    Last edited by Tyrgannus; 2014-08-30 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Part of the reason Ulduar is on a pedestal is that it was way too quickly replaced by ToC which was garbage in comparison.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.