The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.

Are you in a PvP guild? If so what is it like?

As the title says:

Are you in a PvP focused guild?

If so, what is your guild like?

I ask this because, a while back I hit this big wall of I'm tired of SoO. Then I hit a bigger wall of, why I am going to continue logging in. I decided to start PvP'ing nearly exclusively lately, and rediscovered a lot of the lost joy in the game.
    I bounced around a few PvP guilds, and I noticed nearly all of them had two things in common.
    -2/3 of guild chat is:
    LF carries.
    -That was followed by an amazing lack of helping other undergeared players.

-Also many of them had an amazing lack of PvP going on in them, minus quietly solo que'ing into oblivion if they weren't asking for carries.

Eventually I found a decent guild, we have a small group of us, who manage to engage Allies at Goldshire or Stormwind Gates, before we phase pretty frequently, and while 1/2 the guild doesn't say a peep, or individual clique (which I noticed is really common to see numerous of) are very active. Also I'm 3rd oldest at 27, and most of them I have a 1/2 decade on at least if not more (I remember when I was the young guy in the guild =O.......)

Anyways, how is your guild?
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    Define "PvP" guild. You seem to mention doing a lot of world pvp.

I have been in two PvP guilds. I still am in the latter.

First one was on a Horde dominated server that alliance got free migration to back in the start of cata. I had a few PvP-oriented friends and we made an rbg guild and literally dominated the rbg ladder (and premaded tol-barad) when it was new. I had a great time back then.

More up to date: The guild I am in now. It's a guild oriented in one simple direction: to establish a community for highrated arena play. It's basically a contact net to find arena partners, and thus the guildchat is oriented in that direction. Guild management only stated one clear rule, no socials get invited. Anyone must have a 2k+ achievement in any bracket to join, and this has worked out great for the teamfinding aspect really. It's easy to meet new people to play with that way.

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    -That was followed by an amazing lack of helping other undergeared players.
    This is generally the deal with arena now. Boosting undergeared players costs gold, and after having done so for plenty of games people really do get tired of it.

To sum it up: If you have full prideful gear it's a good opportunity to attempt to get better at arena before WoD launches as there basically is nothing else to do. If you don't have full prideful gear, find someone to grind it out with or get boosted to it for gold. 27k conquest cap is roughly 35k gold when you have a decent booster, I did the math on it (200-250g per win).

If you're looking for world pvp you probably just need to find similarly oriented friends. Guilds hardly do that anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wass View Post
    Define "PvP" guild. You seem to mention doing a lot of world pvp.

I have been in two PvP guilds. I still am in the latter.

First one was on a Horde dominated server that alliance got free migration to back in the start of cata. I had a few PvP-oriented friends and we made an rbg guild and literally dominated the rbg ladder (and premaded tol-barad) when it was new. I had a great time back then.

More up to date: The guild I am in now. It's a guild oriented in one simple direction: to establish a community for highrated arena play. It's basically a contact net to find arena partners, and thus the guildchat is oriented in that direction. Guild management only stated one clear rule, no socials get invited. Anyone must have a 2k+ achievement in any bracket to join, and this has worked out great for the teamfinding aspect really. It's easy to meet new people to play with that way.
    Just a PvP orientated guild, as in that is the primary goal among everyone, any form of randoms/rbgs/arenas/world. Just curious what other people's experiences have been like, since I had more then a few wrong stops before I found somewhere I enjoyed.
    That seems fun, I've mentioned before, I'm not at the 2k level, I think I could do it, but I've never put the effort into it, as in sat down with 1 or 2 other people and said lets do this. As a higher end guild only, I assume you still have the wide mix of personalities, but does it seem to slide into either good players having fun, or good players who are bordering on being ticked off all the time? I noticed most the better players I met (including a few 2.2k guys and a guy who was Glad S8 and 9 I believe all tend to be the former.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wass View Post
    This is generally the deal with arena now. Boosting undergeared players costs gold, and after having done so for plenty of games people really do get tired of it.
    I understand this so much... which I guess I should have specified.
    The "GM" which he doesn't care about outside of the fact that he made the charter, and a few of us had a discussion about carrying. The GM on his main and alts, had roughly 2.5k 2's alone this season, and many were carries. Another guy had roughly 1.5k, and I've got a couple hundred done all together, not counting all the dungeon runs I took the guys through on my raiding toon, to convert justice to honor so they could get somewhat less painful honor gear.
    I understand the burn out. That was part of the reason to mention it, is we really don't charge many people in the guild at all, unless you're on your 5th alt or some nonsense, but those guys never return the favor (and many are not good enough to really do it I think.)
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    - like minded individuals looking to kill other people (PVP)
    - depending on your LEVEL of pvp, some guilds will look from within instead of trade chat/forums for players to add into the fold for higher level play (2000+ etc)
    - I personally prefer pvp guilds because their is almost never any drama, and most people just kill, log off, log back on, and kill

What kind of pvp guild are you looking for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    What kind of pvp guild are you looking for?
    Oh no my friend, not looking for one, just curious about other folks experiences, given it took me a little bit to find a decent one (maybe not high rated like some others, but jsut enjoyable) yet all the ones that were silent minus "carry me" or had no... pvp going on, I wondered how other folks experiences were is all.
    By the way, nice weapon transmog =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    As a higher end guild only, I assume you still have the wide mix of personalities, but does it seem to slide into either good players having fun, or good players who are bordering on being ticked off all the time?
    Wide spectra. There are a select few jerks, but they tend to get frown upon. Nobody can be arsed to put up with them. The "Be Nice" scenario applies in the guild I am in, and it does help quite a bit. It's simply not fun to play arena with dickwads.

But there is no drama at all like dacoolist mentioned, which is wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Deleted
    I have been in a few pvp guilds back during my days of stupid.

What I have noticed:
    1. I'm not a sociopath. Going around in a team ganking randoms doing their quests was boring to me, after a while I just didn't dismount anymore. When I do wpvp I need motivation, I don't hesitate to engage if I know the guy has been nasty to other people or is part of a pvp guild himself (in which case he's basically asking for it), but just ganking randoms...nah.

2. Lots of trash players. I find this is a bane of pvp guilds as they invite pretty much anyone to the guild (also because they want to have the upper hand in wpvp when big numbers are being thrown around) and most of the people they invite are either newbs, noobs or people who log once a week.

3. Not much to do in a pvp guild if you play a lot. Basically you got some occasional rbgs and stuff but the rest of time you're doing nothing.

4. Also, personal opinion, I find the social interaction to be much lighter if you are in a pvp guild.

This is why even though I like pvp, I usually stick to pve guilds, it's just way more content to keep you occupied and more social interraction (spent 3 years in pvp guilds, never made one friend; spent 1 month in a pve guild, made like 5).

Not really. My guild is pretty big on raiding but not so much on PvP.

If you're being ganked/camped and ask in guild chat, chances are that someone will come to help out most of the time, but that's about it. Mentioning anything about arenas or rated battlegrounds will get you dead silence as a response.

My last guild was more or less the same way. I've done one RBG the entire time I've played WoW, because a few of us were hanging out on vent and decided to try one. I enjoyed it...we lost, but we were pretty proud that we only lost by a score of 3-2 in Warsong Gulch against an established team when we'd only just slapped a team together. We talked really big about having a "PvP night" once a week to continue doing those....and I never heard another word about it. Sadface.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-08-31 at 05:14 PM.

Deleted
    As a (former) GM of one of the oldest pvp guilds in europe (dating back early tbc), our guilds has transitioned through many different types of pvp guilds.
    In the first couple of years we were just like every other pvp guild: alot of players, independant of rating, join with a lot of different interests, since we were always 200+ members, there would always be someone around to do whatever you enjoyed: arena, battlegrounds, rbg or world pvp, with the latter 2 only being available whenever someone could be bothered to make it. In s9, I joined the guild and started becomming a high-profile pug RBG leader, capping out at 2600 rating.
    This caused many people I played with in pugs to want to join the guild aswell as getting me promoted to officer. Because of this, the level of skill in the guild rose, but it also meant that I wouldn't just take any random player from the guild, since there were a lot of players that were in the guild back from when it was accepting everyone, which wouldn't be fit for the RBG groups I ran.
    In s10 I quit the game but someone else made a new RBG group from the ashes of the people that I had invited, the people that were in the guild for a long time and new people that were invited during my absence. This was an medium-high level group (capping out at 2400). Compared to the groups I had ran in s9 however, this group was very consistent, playing on pre-set days with 10 out of a group of ~15 people who were all in the guild. This as opposed to my own groups which were semi-pugs with friends of friends most of the time.
    This caused a bit of envy at the time, since the guild was still 200+ members big and the ''good'' rbg group was practically impossible to get into, except if some role happened to be unfilled for a specific night. However the guild still worked since there were plenty of people who were just looking for arena/random bg partners and were content to play just that.
    In the start of season 11, when I came back to the game, there were 2-3 RBG groups in the guild, where the first group was the same stable group as back in s10, playing around 2300, whereas the second group (~2100) was more fluctuating and the third (~1800-2100) was basically a semi-pug at best. This lead to sometimes groups poaching players from each other, which also lead to some form of rivalry/mistrust between the groups. At some point, I took over leadership of group 2 as group 3 fell apart and a couple of people, including the leader of group 1, quit or became very inactive. This lead to group 1 and 2 being merged.
    While all of this was happening, there were less and less bad pvpers in the guild, as we more or less had a requirement of 2k for people to be able to join, however we still had plenty of people who had less then that and even more people who had joined as social (basically a friend of a guildy) and were quit bad aswell. This caused the decline of people who did world pvp and random battlegrounds.
    Anyways, back to the RBG groups: the group I was leading at that time ended up being one of the best (top 10) in europe at the time, capping out around 2450 before succumbing to the long pre-mop waiting time.
    When MOP arrived, we had the ambition of becomming one of the best pvp guilds on the server (stormscale) so we started mass-recruiting again, requiring for people to have 2.4k+ experience to be able to join and we soon had 300+ glads and ex-glads and high-rated members aswell as the remnants of the low-rated people who had stayed over time. This was the high point of our guild, but also caused many tensions since high-level pvpers tend to be elitist as hell and there would be petty arguments plenty of times. We stopped this at some point by making a low-tolerance policy on arguments and kicking the worst offenders, which improved gchat by a bit.
    At some point, we instituted a rule that everyone who wanted to be certain ranks had to have at least 2.2k in arena or RBG to keep the level of the guild high. Since a lot of people didnt have that we pruned some of our old members and brought the guilds numbers back down slightly. At that time, we were one of the most succesfull RBG groups in europe (top 5 easily), capping out at 2.8k, but this group was again 7-8 regulars who played twice a week and 2-3 new people, pugs or friends of friends.
    In s13, I quit again and the guild started falling apart slowly since everyone was getting bored with the game and there wasn't much RBG activity.

This continued up untill now, when there are 100 members left of which ~5 are active (I returned to the game earlier this weekend).
    I will probably try to make the guild active again when we are closer to WOD.

TLDR: A pvp guild can be focussed around many things, for my guild, it was RBG.
    This is a very good way of maintaining a guild, since people value RBG alot, since finding groups, especially on higher levels, is hard.
    You need to however have/be a good RBG leader in order to pull this off

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in a top tier PvP guild myself and it's not very different from your average top tier raiding guild, it's just that people do PvP instead of PvE.
    The main benefit is that it is very easy to find people to play with without having to spam chat and forums. Pretty much everyone in the guild has at least 1 gladiator title so it's usually a matter of just asking in the guild chat if anyone wants to queue and you know you're playing with someone around your own level.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    I've been in a quite a few guilds in my time, both pve and pvp. From my exp. PvP guilds def have more of a chill atmosphere about them, pvers take killing dragons pretty fucking seriously. Only natural when you're fighting for server first and what not. However, not saying climbing rating in rbg isn't stressful lol, perhaps I was just more invested in pve at the time.

As long as you're in the core group and are able to get a regular spot week in week out, active pvp guilds (with a just and fair leader / co leader) are amazing. So yeah this is basically the heart of it, you need a good leader with exp, you're always going to find willing and skilled people to pvp with but finding one whom will lead, well thats the difficulty.

**Word of advice, if you're trying to work your way into a core team but currently stuck in the 2nd or 3rd team, don't bother, straight up leave. As much as you would like to convince yourself the 2nd and 3rd team is treated the same and leaders are dedicated, well they're not. If you're good enough you'll prove it some other way and get into the core straight away.

Well I think the guild atmosphere depends a lot on what it takes to get recruited. I'm on a PvP-centric high population server so the community has it all here. My guild is not the most exclusive but we do have limits. In order to be invited you have to have a rating of at least 1700 in something. We generally have 40+ members online at any given time, even now. We have two core RBG groups at 1600 and 2100, also the guild veterans often lead random RBG groups on their alts here and there. The best part is wPvP events are scheduled each weekend and once or twice a month we have guild tournaments in the various world arenas. I usually don't take part but I see guildies hosting transmog runs and the sort quite often too. I know of at least 4 other guilds who I imagine are quite similar to us on our server and there are another 3 serious Alliance PvP guilds here too even with the 3:1 or 4:1 imbalance. wPvP is definitely a thing.

What I recommend. Find a 'real' PvP server and ask around most people will know of the 'real' guilds. I never gave PvP much though before Mists but once I got into it I think it's a hell of a lot more fun, and can only be rivaled by progression content with a solid raiding guild but even then I find PvP players to be a lot more laid back even when in the 2k+ ratings.
    Last edited by Debased; 2014-09-02 at 01:34 AM.