Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

PVP servers - are they needed?

Granted, I didnt play MMOs before WoW in 2007, so I dont have much experience from before...

Still, Im interested why we have both PVE and PVP servers?
    Wouldnt it be more practical to have only PVE servers where people who want could just turn pvp flag on?
    This would consolidate servers, help population being steady etc.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    Granted, I didnt play MMOs before WoW in 2007, so I dont have much experience from before...

Still, Im interested why we have both PVE and PVP servers?
    Wouldnt it be more practical to have only PVE servers where people who want could just turn pvp flag on?
    This would consolidate servers, help population being steady etc.

Just a thought.
    Even if there isn't much World PvP anymore, I like PvP servers. If you see someone from the opposing faction you should be able to fight them. Alliance vs Horde feels like the true theme of Warcraft, I don't like this peace thing going on atm. Varion should have destroyed Org and open up more Alliance vs Horde conflicts.

Deleted
    The servers are distinguished in order to separate the player base accordingly to their interests; PvP and PvE respectively, in this case. People can engage in activities of both types of gameplay, but someone who is mainly interested in PvP should know which servers contains people with similar interests. Finally, there is the opportunity for world PvP that PvE servers would ultimately not offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are always needed!
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

Not really. The vast majority of PvP servers are extremely one-sided, so the only "PvP" that ever really happens in the world is some level 90 killing off level 20s. The PvP servers I have played on might as well have been PvE servers; you certainly wouldn't have noticed the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, there is always needed for a PvP enviroment just like a PvE.

You can merge them but it'll end up appearing troublesome to mix the two enviroments, one side might not want PvP while the other would maybe even jump them on the way in to a raid.

Would rather hold them parted as they are, they are needed within. World of Warcraft, is just one of the many MMO's that holds a good grip at PvP and some as well as PvE.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

At this point. I'm not sure anymore. For the most part PvP servers have become less about actual same level PvP and more about who can blow up Thrallmar or Honor Hold the most. Obviously not complaining, since I enjoy getting into little fights with people my same level while either leveling or out and about on my main. But the big problem is that PvP servers have become more of ganking rather then the old Hillsbrad battles. Nearly every time I fly near the Dark Portal or even entering Hellfire either Horde or Alliance are like vultures killing anyone who teleports in.

But one big thing I do notice on Illidan I feel there's a majority of players who do not partake in PvP at all, and only go there due to the high population and PvE scene, more then the actual PvP. (Again nothing to back this up, but just my opinion.) I don't know how many times when the rare occasion someone in my guild gets killed by another Alliance player and begins to flip out about it.

Truly I feel that PvP servers in MMO's in general have just become a waste. Playing ESO the only PvP I ever ran into was obviously in the huge PvP zone, and even in Wildstar on a PvP server I never actually ran into anyone of the opposite faction, and lastly even SWTOR only one time when I played during the release of the game did I manage to run into someone. I feel that PvP servers are just something for people to say "yeah I'm awesome, I leveled on a server with the CHANCE of someone attacking me, but it never happens."

Deleted
    Even though some people doesn't like PvP, it's still actually a core part of the lore as Horde and Alliance are at war so it makes sense they will try to kill each other. If some server type should be removed from this game, I'd say then PvE and RPPve.

PvP servers are the purest form of the game. I highly doubt that in the canonical war enemy faction members would ask each other permission to fight before they attack. If any server type should be removed it should be PvE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Not really. The vast majority of PvP servers are extremely one-sided
    Please, mister, tell us on which scale you are weighing the word "extremely." Looking at statistics from the EU servers, to use as a case example, it seems that while there are Alliance to Horde ratios in some servers that are high (such as about A/H ratio of 3 to 1 in Outland), plenty have decent ratios of A/H 0.6, and a plethora of 0.5. The difference is not extreme. [http://wow.realmpop.com/eu.html]

They are needed indeed. There would be too much complaints from both sides otherwise.

PvP: Want to kill the opposite faction but can't, attempt to get people flagged and kill for fun.
    PvE: Don't want to PvP at all, PvPers keep trying to get them flagged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    PvP servers are the purest form of the game. I highly doubt that in the canonical war enemy faction members would ask each other permission to fight before they attack. If any server type should be removed it should be PvE.
    I would rather remove RP!

Every nearly balanced server just goes to one side on the US at least.

Deleted
    Not at all. They serve no purpose except giving assholes an opportunity to act out their antisocial tendencies. World pvp, as in actual pvp, is no longer existent and hasn't been for a long time. Just axem.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    All these people talking about no World PvP must not hang out at Goldshire, Durotar, or Blasted Lands. I find a fair bit of World PvP even if it is not on the scale that it was when X-Realms was first introduced. Also realms like Emerald Dream have a ton of World PvP, Bleeding Hollow I still find a fair bit also.
    Yes they have a reason to exist, PvP is apart of the game even if it is not the main focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaswarrior View Post
    Not at all. They serve no purpose except giving assholes an opportunity to act out their antisocial tendencies. World pvp, as in actual pvp, is no longer existent and hasn't been for a long time. Just axem.
    No True Scotsman fallacy. Try again. PvP is PvP whether you engage in the activity through arena, world battles, or anything else. That someone finds it entertaining to fight weak opponents is perfectly fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaswarrior View Post
    It has it's moments, like the first few months of every expansion or new area they add.

Yes. Question answered, close thread now pls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Yes, there is always needed for a PvP enviroment just like a PvE.

You can merge them but it'll end up appearing troublesome to mix the two enviroments, one side might not want PvP while the other would maybe even jump them on the way in to a raid.

Would rather hold them parted as they are, they are needed within. World of Warcraft, is just one of the many MMO's that holds a good grip at PvP and some as well as PvE.
    I think his point is that there is so little PvP, actually non-existant, on the PvP servers that they probably arent needed anymore.

Not more consolidation of servers. I want low pop back.