Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thoughts on the new model 'Animations'

The new models look good, when static

However,

Just an observation, but why do all the Alliance races now look like they have springs for feet? They look ridiculous bouncing around when they run, especially the Human followed by the Dwarf. Personally i'm glad they let you use the old models still because it just looks ridiculous.

Anyone else dissapointed with the animation changes? Some change the whole spell animation so it is nothing like the "original"
    Last edited by Daffan; 2014-08-31 at 12:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am withholding a full opinion until I see it all live but yes, some animations - like running - do look a bit odd right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacegoatmeep View Post
    I have it on good authority that the Park needs to be as it currently is for the launch of Legion.

As part of the opening event Illidan flys down into Stormwind, points over towards the Park and says "You are not repaired!"

Deleted
    Ultimately WoW is cartoony. The new models do a lot to reflect that artistic merit but it's understandable that people will disagree with it.

As for me? I love my Dwarf's spring in his run. Before he looked like someone froze a cinderblock in the air and his arms/legs moved like stiff gears. Now he looks lively and dynamic.

UD males had the best casting animations. They currently look like a little kid trying to throw a dodgeball. It's a pretty fucking bad joke.

The new animations look way less ridiculous than the originals. You just got used to the old models and how they ran. Female trolls and female tauren are a prime example of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Ultimately WoW is cartoony. The new models do a lot to reflect that artistic merit but it's understandable that people will disagree with it.

As for me? I love my Dwarf's spring in his run. Before he looked like someone froze a cinderblock in the air and his arms/legs moved like stiff gears. Now he looks lively and dynamic.
    True true about the cartoony feel. But this is just leagues ahead into Disney :P

Quote Originally Posted by turbosnail View Post
    UD males had the best casting animations. They currently look like a little kid trying to throw a dodgeball. It's a pretty fucking bad joke.
    LOL. I have only tried Alliance side currently, but the original UD male had awesome casting, espicially its standard cast (frostbolt/fireball etc)

Quote Originally Posted by MrTophat View Post
    Some of the new running animations are detestable.

Male Orcs and male Nelfs for example. They pretty much flail their arms about whenever they run. Urghh
    The Human Male is insanely crazy if you think they are bad.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Male night elf has this problem. In truth it looks so terrible I just assumed it'll be fixed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some of the new running animations are detestable.

Male Orcs and male Nelfs for example. They pretty much flail their arms about whenever they run. Urghh.
    Yep yep. Night Elf male was the one that came to mind when I posted earlier.

I am not expecting realistic animations either and I am fine with the cartoon style. There is still a line where it becomes odd, and perhaps adjusting from old animations makes that line bigger. That is why I will just wait until the final release and judge from there
    I have it on good authority that the Park needs to be as it currently is for the launch of Legion.

As part of the opening event Illidan flys down into Stormwind, points over towards the Park and says "You are not repaired!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parynziux View Post
    Yep yep. Night Elf male was the one that came to mind when I posted earlier.

I am not expecting realistic animations either and I am fine with the cartoon style. There is still a line where it becomes odd, and perhaps adjusting from old animations makes that line bigger. That is why I will just wait until the final release and judge from there
    When i think of things that will be for sure adjusted are the rubber fingers that flail everywhere - that seems like a defacto rigging problem with the new models. Howeever the rest seems like a concious decision to be real "goofy"

do human males still run like they have a pole up their bums

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    When i think of things that will be for sure adjusted are the rubber fingers that flail everywhere - that seems like a defacto rigging problem with the new models. Howeever the rest seems like a concious decision to be real "goofy"
    You could be right... maybe the "goofy" can be toned down with an iteration or two. At least I can hope!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulthar View Post
    do human males still run like they have a pole up their bums
    Nope, see for yourself.

In my opinion, the new human male is the absolute best male running animation I've seen in an MMO to date.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

It's almost like they're trying to channel Wildstar with the incredibly overdone character animations.
    While that could be somewhat likely, anyone who's watched Wowcrendor knows the vanilla animations involved a lot of wide reaching and stretching arm movements.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Luko View Post
    Nope, see for yourself.

In my opinion, the new human male is the absolute best male running animation I've seen in an MMO to date.
    He has a wiggle in his walk. Mama likes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but the Draenei males have been fixed and the female Draenei act more girly instead of "bouncy" now.

Male-

Female-

All of the races now feel less stoic and static.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    He has a wiggle in his walk. Mama likes.
    I noticed that too! Immediately unequipped my tabard.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post

All of the races now feel less stoic and static.
    I just meant the new models looked better when STATIC (NOT MOVING, just standing still)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parynziux View Post
    I am withholding a full opinion until I see it all live but yes, some animations - like running - do look a bit odd right now.
    Agreed. Waiting til live to fully and accurately assess them.

Deleted
    I only dislike how hard male orc is beating his face when running with the weapons in hands.

This is from the cartoon language or lexicon, it's related to something known as squash and stretch. It makes things feel more filled with personality and exaggeration. It makes cartoons feel like an alternate universe with a strange but consistent sense of physical laws.

More importantly, the more WOW has advanced, the more they've put this cartoony quality into the animations.

And as for Disney, the first fucking thing I ever thought when I saw Warcraft 1 in the early 90s was "Wow, that looks like someone took Warhammer and made a spoof of it with Disney".

It's supposed to feel like a Don Bluth cartoon. I'd cite the Secret of Nimh or Dragonslayer more than simply Disney, but oh-so-serious edgy teenagers and adults make the word Disney synonymous with childish or just plain bad. It's borderline fallacious.

Anyways, it's too bad you haven't noticed what has been under your nose since the animations got more and more polished with every expansion. Especially in Cataclysm, Thrall's animations were filled with squash and stretch that made it obvious what direction things were going, and then the Pandaren just solidified it further. It's too bad you didn't have a clue at the time, but this is nothing new.

If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW