Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Harassed & Insulted: I Called The Police on a Drunk Driver

Last night I called the police on a possible drunk driver I was following home from work. I followed the suspected driver for nearly 10 miles up until they police pulled him over. When I retold my story to friends I was called a snitch and that I should mind my own business because I probably got someone in trouble who was just on their way home.

This driver was literally all over the road and nearly collided with several cars and a semi and I'm certain that if I hadn't followed behind him with my hazards on other drivers may have been struck by his erratic driving. As someone who lost a friend 15 years ago who ran into a semi while driving drunk on his motorcycle I wish someone would have taken his keys or called the police to report his driving and he would still be here today.

I guess I'm just shocked that people found fault in me trying to keep the roads safe not only for other drivers but for the drunk himself. He could have killed anyone last night now the worst he has to worry about is a fine and a brief license suspension.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

You did the right thing. Sounds like you need some new friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I'd have followed the whole time, but I think a call to the local police with his license plate number and heading isn't anything bad. Your friends sound like people who like to pretend they aren't shitty people for driving around drunk.

You hang out with a bunch of idiots and drunks. How is this a suprise. Ill put money literally every one of your friends that called you a snitch has driven drunk themselves.

You might've saved a life. If you would've done nothing and the drunk hit someone, you might not be legally responsible, but you'd always would've known you could've prevented it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    You did the right thing, if that asshole had hit and killed someone then it would have been on your conscience knowing you could have prevented it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You did the right thing, I lost a friend too from drunk speeding.

Seems like forever ago now, RIP'd in 2008

PS: your friends are douche bags

You need new friends.

You did the right thing, no doubt. If he really wasn't drunk, then the cops would've found out when they pulled him over and let him go, no harm done. If he was drunk, then good for you for getting him off the road. Your "snitching" may have saved lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I don't know if I'd have followed the whole time, but I think a call to the local police with his license plate number and heading isn't anything bad. Your friends sound like people who like to pretend they aren't shitty people for driving around drunk.
    Yeah this is essentially what I was going to contribute. I probably wouldn't have tailed him, but the info and his heading sure, in fact I've done this several times.

Your friends seem like the kind of people who'd call someone a "narc." Overly edgy young people who are convinced there's some kind of "code" to follow. I'd have shaken your hand and bought you a drink. (and offered to drive home )
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    You did the right thing. Sounds like you need some new friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    You need new friends.
    What these guys said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Drunk driving is never an option, get new friends

Probably wouldn't have cared enough to follow the car to be honest but otherwise obviously the right choice no reason to potentially let some asshole ruin someone's life because he can't effort a cab.

Your friends are right, you did snitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Your friends are right, you did snitch.
    Explain, please.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    thanks for my court date you effing jerk

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously the right thing. Anyone driving impaired in any way (alcohol, drugs, sleep) is a death waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    thanks for my court date you effing jerk
    Ha! (I know you're kidding)

You're a hero.

Ignore them. I would have done the same thing and if my friends hated me for it then it might be time to find some new friends.

Deleted
    He could've killed someone. You did the right thing.