Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

PCgamer's Top 100

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/30/th...er-top-100/11/

Now here's a damned good list; not littered by dozens of novelty, thoughtless, mainstream console games that are completely overrated by the dumb youth of this so-called "modern" age; but one written by a close group of old timers who remember a true golden age. It's a list remembering real masterpieces from a time long lost, to timeless indies that no one's ever heard about, and even a few remarkably high quality gems of today.

Your thoughts?

EDIT: Yes yes, everyone would've placed the games listed at different rankings. But you got to admit; it's better than all the other crummy lists out there! It's got all your favorite PC games...

Mod Edit: List for those that are lazy.

Code:
    100 THE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND
    99 COMPANY OF HEROES 2
    98 SPLINTER CELL: CHAOS THEORY
    97 KINGPIN: LIFE OF CRIME
    96 FREESPACE 2
    95 STARBOUND
    94 THE SIMS
    93 PLANETSIDE 2
    92 ASSASSIN’S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG
    91 OPERATION FLASHPOINT: COLD WAR CRISIS
    90 KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM
    89 CALL OF CTHULHU: DARK CORNERS OF THE EARTH 
    88 QUAKE III
    87 ASSASSIN’S CREED II
    86 VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE—BLOODLINES
    85 BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2
    84 BROKEN SWORD
    83 X-COM / UFO: ENEMY UNKNOWN
    82 ULTIMA VII
    81 TOTAL WAR: ROME II
    80 SUPREME COMMANDER: FORGED ALLIANCE
    79 NO ONE LIVES FOREVER 2
    78 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV
    77 DON’T STARVE
    76 COMMAND & CONQUER
    75 BASTION
    74 WARHAMMER 40K: DAWN OF WAR
    73 DOOM 3
    72 THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION
    71 FAR CRY 3
    70 STALKER
    69 FEAR
    68 BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY
    67 EMPIRE: TOTAL WAR
    66 LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
    65 EVE ONLINE
    64 BRAID
    63 FIFA 13
    62 THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND
    61 COMMAND & CONQUER: RED ALERT 2
    60 UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004
    59 FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS
    58 FINAL FANTASY VII
    57 SAINTS ROW 4
    56 RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN
    55 MONKEY ISLAND 2
    54 CAVE STORY+
    53 HOTLINE MIAMI
    52 LEFT 4 DEAD 2
    51 COMPANY OF HEROES
    50 BATTLEFIELD 4
    49 OUTCAST
    48 ARMA 2
    47 FRONTIER: ELITE II
    46 DUKE NUKEM 3D
    45 DAY OF THE TENTACLE
    44 HEARTHSTONE
    43 SPELUNKY
    42 THE WITCHER 2
    41 ARMA 3
    40 MAX PAYNE 2: THE FALL OF MAX PAYNE
    39 GUILD WARS 2
    38 FALLOUT
    37 CRUSADER KINGS 2
    36 BATTLEFIELD 3
    35 PLANESCAPE: TORMENT
    34 WORLD OF WARCRAFT
    33 MIRROR’S EDGE
    32 DISHONORED
    31 THIEF II: THE METAL AGE
    30 RISING STORM
    29 PAPERS, PLEASE
    28 FALLOUT 3
    27 DOOM
    26 DIABLO III
    25 CIVILIZATION V
    24 BALDUR’S GATE II: SHADOWS OF AMN
    23 ALPHA CENTAURI
    22 SYSTEM SHOCK 2
    21 GRIM FANDANGO
    20 THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON 1
    19 PORTAL 2
    18 MINECRAFT
    17 DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION
    16 DOTA 2
    15 DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS
    14 COUNTER-STRIKE: GLOBAL OFFENSIVE
    13 BIOSHOCK INFINITE
    12 DAYZ
    11 FTL: FASTER THAN LIGHT
    10 DARK SOULS
    9 PORTAL
    8 MASS EFFECT 3
    7 TEAM FORTRESS 2
    6 XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN
    5 BIOSHOCK
    4 DEUS EX
    3 HALF-LIFE 2
    2 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM
    1 MASS EFFECT 2
    Last edited by Sj; 2014-08-31 at 03:23 AM.

Deleted
    League of Legends 66.
    Pls.
    Hearthstone 44.
    Impressive.
    WoW 34.
    Meh.
    Doom 27.
    Good.
    Diablo 3 26.
    Rly?
    Minecraft 18.
    Really?
    Day motherfucking Z 12.
    What the fuck?
    TEAM FORTRESS 7.
    Starting to lose hope.
    Skyrim 2.
    Shit list.

At least it had some of my childhood favourites (Doom, Duke Nukem, RA2), but missing Counter Strike 1.6 but including GO, no Warcraft RTS games...
    Last edited by mmoce213c955fb; 2014-08-31 at 02:19 AM.

Absolutely terrible. Skyrim at 2? DayZ in the top 20 when the game isn't even out of alpha yet and is a bug fiesta? Diablo 3 even made the list? Please. This list is garbage.

edit: lol BF3, 4 and BC2 are on the list? Oblivion is 70 places behind Skyrim? Where is Morrowind? No D2 but D3 is there? Only FF7? GTA4? God why that GTA game out of all of them. Lets not even talk about SC being totally absent.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-08-31 at 02:27 AM.

Top ten should be lower. Can't believe the original Baldur's Gate was nowhere to be found, while 2 was great too, 1 is still one of my all time favorites. Diablo III on the list at all is kind of wtf. All the previous Diablos beat D3 as does PoE. Hearthstone? Really? It isn't bad but there are better card games. Not a bad list overall, by it certainly doesn't seem like a list by "a close group of old timers", too many old games missing or low on the list with too many new ones higher. Too much focus on pretty graphics streamlining and accessibility in new games while fun gets set aside in favor of profit margin. A lot of the older games aren't so pretty, but they were more focused on fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect 2 as their number 1 game. Meh. Other than that it's a decent list.
    Really, the only other changes I would make would be swapping portal with portal 2 and changed Saints Row IV with Saints Row the Third. Placing portal 1 above 2 just seems like a nostalgia thing, I loved both games, but portal 2 would be my #1 game if I made a list. Saints Row the Third was my favorite game of the series because it kept some aspect of realism while also keeping the hilarious and outlandish style of Saints Row. Saints Row IV just went all out WTF, and while it was funny and enjoyable, it wasn't as engaging as its predecessor.

Edit: Also, how is it possible for Diablo 3 to make any top list, especially when Diablo 2 didn't.

Edit2: As I think about it the worse this list gets. No Starcraft/Warcraft (ignoring WoW).
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2014-08-31 at 02:32 AM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

I don't agree with all their placements (subjective and all that jazz), but overall I think it's a pretty solid list.

Dunno how Skyrim is the highest ES game on the list, but it was good... I for one don't mind seeing Mass Effect 2 as #1. Yeah it's not a true RPG game, yeah this, yeah that. I loved it and the classes in that game actually feel different and each play through unique.

Mostly okay but a bit all over the place, quite a few titles in there obviously being heavily upvoted by their devoted fanbases. Also strong slant towards modern games over older ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It's a decent list though I can't say I agree with how highly the likes of Skyrim are rated. I consider Morrowind to be far more in-depth and immersive despite how dated it now is. It feels like this is, unfortunately just another list where people vote in favour of recent titles instead of much more intricate past titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played nine of these games, and only liked two of those. Guess I'm not as much a PC gamer as I thought.

That said though, the absence of Diablo 2 and Starcraft makes me wonder a lot about the validity of this list. Spelunky is nothing compared to Rogue Legacy in the rogue-like genre. Final Fantasy 7 on the list is a real cop out, since it's a console game with a terrible port. It'd be like putting the aforementioned Starcraft on a list of console games.

All the people I talk to put Oblivion well above Skyrim too, but I haven't played Oblivion so I can't really compare.

this list is ridiculous. the fact that Starcrat 1/2 or Warcraft 1/2/3 are not anywhere on this list is absolutely crazy. I don't see how you can make a top HUNDRED list and not include at least 1 from each of those series.

Eh, lots of omissions and pretty shitty placement. ME2 and ME3 in the top 10 EVER? Not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Eh, lots of omissions and pretty shitty placement. ME2 and ME3 in the top 10 EVER? Not quite.
    I'd put ME2 in a best ever list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Skyrim at number 2? Yeah no. I agree it should probably be on the top 100 list, but on the 80-100 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'd put ME2 in a best ever list.
    I agree it's top 100. Best ever? Not quite.

Now where is the list? because that one you linked is
    littered by dozens of novelty, thoughtless, mainstream console games that are completely overrated by the dumb youth of this so-called "modern" age

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd easily put ME2 in my top 3.

My main issue with their list is the inclusion of sequels that are far worse than the original. I am looking at you BF4 and BF BC2. Where is BF1942? You know the one that started it all and changed what an FPS could mean. The one that gave people their first taste of 32 vs 32 Planes, tanks, and Infantry action. Or BF2, Or Battlefield Vietnam, all superior titles in the same franchise.

Oh and Paper's Please; their indie bias clouds their judgement. Which is also probably why CoD: Modern Warfare didn't make the cut. Even though it was such an exceptional game that not only was it critically beloved but turned the franchise into the billion dollar a year affair it became, which then caused this wide anti CoD sentiment. "All Ghillied Up" is easily one of the 10 best levels in a shooter ever. Outrageous that they have CS:GO, an uninspired revamp of a revamp of CS 1.6, and not Modern Warfare (OR 1.6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2014-08-31 at 03:36 AM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. I'm amazed so many people liked Mass Effect 2 as much as they did. Between 1 and the first 99% of 3, ME2 just paled in comparison. Also, Rome 2? Seriously? That game was just one giant step back for the entire Total War franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a TERRIBLE list.

As much as I love and adore ME2, it isn't the best game ever made. The rest of Diablo III at #26...really?
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?