Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Myth of arctic meltdown.

Stunning satellite images show summer ice cap is thicker and covers 1.7million square kilometres MORE than 2 years ago...despite Al Gore's prediction it would be ICE-FREE by now. The speech by former US Vice-President Al Gore was apocalyptic. ‘The North Polar ice cap is falling off a cliff,’ he said. ‘It could be completely gone in summer in as little as seven years. Seven years from now.’
    Those comments came in 2007 as Mr Gore accepted the Nobel Peace Prize for his campaigning on climate change.
    But seven years after his warning, The Mail on Sunday can reveal that, far from vanishing, the Arctic ice cap has expanded for the second year in succession – with a surge, depending on how you measure it, of between 43 and 63 percent since 2012.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-FREE-now.html

What happened to global warming?

Deleted
    You are basing it on one single year. Meteorological patterns are observed over decades/centuries.

Its as if I said this month has been the sunniest in recorded history, and you blurted out : "That can't be, look outside it's raining today!"

This is also the same argument as evolution... You got the religious people going "I'm not born from a monkey". It's a slow damn process, not a 1 day shift.

TL DR, you got warm winters, you got cold winters, ON AVERAGE (keyword here) the average temperature is rising.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2014-08-31 at 09:20 PM.

Substitute temperature for "ice cover" and we have.

And obligatory /facepalm at Daily Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    You are basing it one one year. Meteorological patterns are observed over decades/centuries.

Its if I said this month has been the sunniest in recorded history, and you blurted out : "look outside it's raining today!"
    http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Fea...ge/sea_ice.php

Pretty clear evidence.

I think it means we've bought ourselves a little more time to deal with climate change issues, not that said issues weren't real in the first place.

"What happened to global warming?"

Short answer: still happening.

Long answer:

The year 2012 was a year when sea ice extent was well, well below the average. This is why comparing last year's sea ice to it and this year's sea ice to it is bullshit.

It's called extreme cherrypicking.

Never mind the fact that you're only looking at the arctic and not the entire cryosphere. It doesn't matter if one area gains ice when every other area loses enough ice to give you a net decrease.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2014-08-31 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought conspiracy theories were banned.

I actually learned something recently (which may be incorrect based on who you're talking to) but do Americans really not think Global Warming exists? Is it seriously talked about like some taboo or myth that isn't actually happening, like it's some government ploy or conspiracy theory? I live in Canada and that shit is just fact here. If someone went around locally saying Global Warming was a myth, they would be looked at like they woke up on the crazy side of the bed.

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

I made $10 from stocks last year, and this year I've made $30 so far. I increased my profits by 200% compared to last year. I'm rich; get on my level people.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    How is it a conspiracy theory?
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
    I actually learned something recently (which may be incorrect based on who you're talking to) but do Americans really not think Global Warming exists? Is it seriously talked about like some taboo or myth that isn't actually happening, like it's some government ploy or conspiracy theory? I live in Canada and that shit is just fact here. If someone went around locally saying Global Warming was a myth, they would be looked at like they woke up on the crazy side of the bed.
    The positions are nuanced, but you've got more or less half depending on what you consider accept or reject.

Are you one of those guys denying global warming because today is cold as fuck?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Are you one of those guys denying global warming because today is cold as fuck?
    I saw a comic that went along those lines this winter.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    What happened to global warming?
    They're higher than they were 2 years ago. They're still less than they were 10 or even 5 years ago.

I realize long term trends are hard for you to follow though.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    How is it a conspiracy theory?
    Climate skepticism comes in many flavors, and a lot of those flavors come with a generous helping of conspiracy.

Such as all the climate scientists from around the world coming together to fool the public, which is logistically impossible. This hasn't shown up in this thread yet, so this thread is more ignorance than conspiracy so far.

It is still happening sure Al Gore's prediction might have been off but that doesn't change the fact that the temperature is rising when looking at the bigger picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh...i wish they would stop naming it global warming.

We are in interglacial period right now. A single supervolcano can trow us back into ice age.
    Or nuclear winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
    About 23% (plus or minus 3 margin of error) disbelieve in global warming. About 47% believe it is mostly caused by human.

http://www.livescience.com/42633-cli...ief-rises.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Saah View Post
    Currently in Russia there is too much freedom, you can freely do things, that would cause you be arrested in USA.

Why are we listening to Al Gore again? And why the fuck should we ever listen to the daily mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Sigh...i wish they would stop naming it global warming.

We are in interglacial period right now. A single supervolcano can trow us back into ice age.
    Or nuclear winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
    Most studies come to the conclusion that a supervolcano eruption is not likely to happen any time soon. And by not likely to happen, I mean < .1%.

What I'm trying to say is that what you brought up is irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Why are we listening to Al Gore again? And why the fuck should we ever listen to the daily mail.
    He's an easy target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    That's what they WANT you to think!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-