Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Casters in WoD are crippled without being able to cast and move?

Many casters, or caster specs, are losing the ability to cast and move and it got me wondering if this is a major disability in both PvE and PvP?

In movement heavy fights in PvE and challenge mode dungeons it seems like a major disadvantage and melee will train caster in PvP because they are forced to "turret".

I was looking forward to play a caster in WoD, but it seems I would be better off playing a melee, or a hunter if I really want a ranged dps.

How bad will it turn out in your opinion!?

It will turn out fine. Good players will learn and adapt and it will be same old same old for them. Bad players will run to the forums and complain that their classes are broken.

Beta Tester here, for the most part it is fine, I would say in Arena it will be noticeable and in Mythic it will probably be noticeable. There is one fight I tested, two German Orc Engineers, don't remember there names, the entire fight is jumping from belt to belt to avoid fiery bricks/steel, other than that its fine.

And melees have been crippled by being melee since the beginning of time. I think it just goes back to having to actually care about the skill of minimizing the impact of movement, by timing it properly and positioning yourself well, which hasn't been something casters have had to care about for too long.
    Also what Hecklr said, it'll be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Beta Tester here, for the most part it is fine, I would say in Arena it will be noticeable and in Mythic it will probably be noticeable. There is one fight I tested, two German Orc Engineers, don't remember there names, the entire fight is jumping from belt to belt to avoid fiery bricks/steel, other than that its fine.
    As far as I know that fight is basically hell for everybody except hunters, because melee can't get in range of the bosses and casters can't get spells off. Meanwhile hunters just jump around like hyperactive kangaroos while shooting the bosses not giving a fuck.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

The thing for pve at least is the fights will be designed around us having limited movement and casting ability. In MoP they took advantage of us being able to move a lot by designing the fights to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    The thing for pve at least is the fights will be designed around us having limited movement and casting ability. In MoP they took advantage of us being able to move a lot by designing the fights to use it.
    Exactly. They design fights around the tools people have available. Thok is a perfect example of that, it is designed around healers being stupidly overpowered, because otherwise it just wouldn't work.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

They said the fights won't require as much movement as previous expansions. Also there was a time when caster had very little movement and it worked just fine. People will either learn it or quit. I hope WoW doesn't cave in to the complainers on this.

Shadow priest here, what is this moving thing you talk about?

Deleted
    Seems like you didn't find out the right tactic to deal with that. You can just move an inch each time to dodge it, it won't interrupt you casts. You're almost completely stationary the whole fight if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzel View Post
    Seems like you didn't find out the right tactic to deal with that. You can just move an inch each time to dodge it, it won't interrupt you casts. You're almost completely stationary the whole fight if done right.
    ??? Yes. You have to move an inch, but it is still movement. I never said I didn't like the mechanic, I just said it required movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    And melees have been crippled by being melee since the beginning of time. I think it just goes back to having to actually care about the skill of minimizing the impact of movement, by timing it properly and positioning yourself well, which hasn't been something casters have had to care about for too long.
    Too true, I for one am glad to play melee this coming expansion because they are nerfing the retarded everything can be cast while moving shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklr View Post
    It will turn out fine. Good players will learn and adapt and it will be same old same old for them. Bad players will run to the forums and complain that their classes are broken.
    This so much. Good thing Blizzard has the guts to go back to that despite all the whine and flame.

WoW had always been designed around casters standing still for full benefit. It's intended mechanic and fair trade, and the fact that some ranged classes are impacted less than others is flavor, meaningful choice, designed to allow you to chose a class that serves your skill level. See, no WoW encounter ever has forced ranges of any kind to be on the move constantly, you're simply overstating the problem.

Ask an Arcane Mage how he feels today, it's probably the most movement hostile spec at present, with his DPS dropping the instant he moves while being constantly confined to a tiny square on the floor, having to adapt to essentially everything that happens by casting spells prematurely that further take away from his performance, having to plan minutes ahead while maintaining a rotation. And yet, go to Raidbots and see Arcane Mages pulling ahead of pretty much everything except those crazy Affli locks, despite all this, despite so many people ruining the logs with their low performance due to the difficulty of playing the spec well.

This is what you need to understand: You, the player, make the difference. You decide how you play, how you react, how you handle situations that can be foreseen. The tools are there, you just have to use them. Complaining and demanding change without hard data to back it up is the easy way out, you've essentially given up trying to play the class and spec correctly in that moment.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-09-01 at 08:47 AM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Deleted
    ??? Yes. You have to move an inch, but it is still movement. I never said I didn't like the mechanic, I just said it required movement.
    You said that it was a fight that had too much movement in it while it's actually the one that almost requires the least movement. It barely counts as movement as you never have to interrupt you casts compared to most fights where you have to run for 3+ seconds several times.

I'm rerolling to an Arcane Mage from a WW monk largely for this reason. If I have to stand still, I may as well play a class that is superior in standing still. Range will likely still be preferred to melee, because that's how it has been. Unless melee can completely ignore every fight mechanic, teams prefer range > melee, even with the movement penalty.

Icy Floes is a great example of how movement should be handled. You can build 3 charges of it to cast 3 spells while moving, with a charge regenerating once every 15 seconds. You have to choose when to use it, and by adding that choice, it creates a skill cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    No need to be able to cast a whole lot on the move, but each spec should have something, that is at least somewhat useful to do on the move.
    And atm in the beta some casters don't have much to do on the move, which IMO is somewhat of a problem, even if it is minor.

In my own case, for warlock. I really miss felflame, it feels really weird not to have it. Especially as destruction, which basically only has conflagrate to cast while moving in warlords.

7+ Year Old Account
    It will take some time getting used to it, but casters will manage.
    "Let this scar signify the first blow against the mortal world. From this seal shall arise the doom of men,who, in their arrogance, sought to wield our fire as their own.Blindly they build their kingdoms upon stolen knowledge and conceit. Now they shall be consumed by the very flame they sought to control. Let the echoes of doom resound across this wretched world, that all who live may hear them and despair,"-Archimonde

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzel View Post
    You said that it was a fight that had too much movement in it while it's actually the one that almost requires the least movement. It barely counts as movement as you never have to interrupt you casts compared to most fights where you have to run for 3+ seconds several times.
    Last i looked, moving an inch still interrupts your cast. You might just be able to fit it in between two casts or an instant.

Deleted
    Wait, casters now actually need to stand still to cast?! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Last i looked, moving an inch still interrupts your cast. You might just be able to fit it in between two casts or an instant.
    This, it was still interrupting my casts. It isn't a big deal, the fight was fun, but it is still a problem for casters.
    Last edited by Paula Deen; 2014-09-01 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azutael View Post
    No need to be able to cast a whole lot on the move, but each spec should have something, that is at least somewhat useful to do on the move.
    And atm in the beta some casters don't have much to do on the move, which IMO is somewhat of a problem, even if it is minor.

In my own case, for warlock. I really miss felflame, it feels really weird not to have it. Especially as destruction, which basically only has conflagrate to cast while moving in warlords.
    You can still work around it. Save Conflag charges, drop Rain of Fire for some Embers and plan your movement properly.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU