Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What made you take the jump into the Next Gen?

So, I will be picking up my PS4 Destiny Edition console next Tuesday and I was wondering what made you guys decide make the jump to the Next Gen consoles? It doesn't have to be PS4 either it could be Xbox One of Wii U. For me, even though I am getting the Destiny PS4 console I mainly decided to get the PS4 because of Bloodborne (game made by the creators of Demon/Dark Souls). I decided to get the Destiny PS4 because it looks pretty cool and it was a pretty good deal overall considering you get the console, game, and a bunch of other stuff.

So, if you've made the jump what prompted you to do so? If you haven't or have no intention of doing so then what could entice you into buying one of the console. Also, please don't bring the whole "PC Master Race/Console Peasants" bullshit here.

Was going to do it eventually anyway, since my birthday was coming up and I didn't know what I wanted I just figured it was the time to get a Wii U (same for 3DS when it first dropped)

10+ Year Old Account
    I own a PS1, PS2 and a Ps3 so it was kinda obvious i'd get the PS4. My brother owns the 360 and will be getting the Xone on December so it's all good.

Deleted
    Consider what it offers it's one the crappiest next gens ever. I might consider buying one in a couple of years to play one of the very few good console exclusives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Consider what it offers it's one the crappiest next gens ever. I might consider buying one in a couple of years to play one of the very few good console exclusives.
    I don't know I feel like the launch of last gen was crappier. Especially with the PS3 being super overpriced and the Xbox 360 having serious hardware issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I don't know I feel like the launch of last gen was crappier. Especially with the PS3 being super overpriced and the Xbox 360 having serious hardware issues.
    People always forget how dry the beginning of each generation is. Until generation 7 is completely phased out, then you can start judging how good/bad generation 8 is.

I bought the Xbox One in April because I knew eventually I would get it anyway. Might as well get it early and get used to it instead of living in the past.

Deleted
    most of my friends play consoles so thats why i got a ps4.. i bought a wii u for the games.

Deleted
    Did preorder my PS4 with the Destiny bundle but I know pretty much nothing about the game, seems like it might be fun. Though FIFA15 is coming so thats the real reason pretty much.
    The only 2 games I really REALLY want is Bloodborne and MGS5 whenever they come. Did jump the gun on the PS4 as I had the money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Putting Dry bones back in Mario Kart...

DO IT ALREADY!
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Master Chief Collection. #WeBack

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Did preorder my PS4 with the Destiny bundle but I know pretty much nothing about the game, seems like it might be fun. Though FIFA15 is coming so thats the real reason pretty much.
    The only 2 games I really REALLY want is Bloodborne and MGS5 whenever they come. Did jump the gun on the PS4 as I had the money.
    giving fifa a miss this year... dlc target set by EA worries me.

Let's see:

1. Better graphics
    2. Newer games, some of which are only coming out on the next gen consoles.
    3. Had the money for a new console so decided to jump in early this gen (previously I always waited a year or two before upgrading to the next gen).
    4. For my wife, Kinect 2.0. She loves the Kinect and 2.0 works better than the first one.
    5. Various other reasons and features.

Within the next year or so, everyone should be seriously considering upgrading if they haven't already. I'm ready for devs to stop making games for the 360 and PS3 and start focusing totally on the new gen ones. That way we get TRUE next gen games instead of ones that aren't held back by cross-generation limitations.

Yeah the consoles seem to be getting weaker each generation (for the time period) than the last since the N64 era. The only games that have felt really ground-breaking to me since then were Halo 1 and The Elder Scrolls series.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friends play on psn so I got it mostly for that.

Nothing, considering I've been in "next gen" and beyond for the last 15 years with PC gaming (last console I owned was a Dreamcast).

Vastly superior hardware, 20 times the exclusives, cheaper AAA titles and PC exclusive genres like MMOs, RTS and MOBAs. Oh, and I can play games that I bought two years ago (or 15) on the same system.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Nothing, considering I've been in "next gen" and beyond for the last 15 years with PC gaming (last console I owned was a Dreamcast).

Vastly superior hardware, 20 times the exclusives, cheaper AAA titles and PC exclusive genres like MMOs, RTS and MOBAs. Oh, and I can play games that I bought two years ago (or 15) on the same system.
    Cool story bro.

Post constructively. -Infracted. Lucetia
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2014-09-02 at 05:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a Wii-U for Monster hunter, but there are plenty of great games out and coming out for it. It wasn't a hard decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't bought into Next Gen yet, but I will eventually be buying a PS4 for Bloodborne and a couple of other exclusives as well as a Wii U for my Zelda/SSB/Metroid/etc fix. Not in a huge rush to jump in at this moment though since the majority of the games are still some time off. SSB is the only release in the near future, so I may end up splurging early.

In the meantime my PC/3DS/PS3 shall appease me.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

OP asked to keep the whole "PC Master Race" bullshit out of the thread.

Yeah, we get it. PC #1! Blah, blah, blah.

I have a high end gaming rig that blows any console out of the water too. But you don't see me flaunting it or calling consoles crap (whether bluntly or covertly). I also have two Xbox Ones and enjoy the hell out of them (the wife and I can't wait for Destiny to get here!). I'm sorry you are missing out on some really great console exclusives. Your loss, not ours.

As a sidenote: It really seems like console gamers and PC gamers are switching roles. Whereas before, console gamers were generally the ones who acted like hardcore fanboys and trolls, I've noticed more and more PC gamers acting this way while the console people just kinda say "whatever". Anyone else noticed this? Especially this console generation? I feel like PC exclusive gamers are trying to make up for the fact that consoles get more attention and time dedicated to them (and the fact that consoles also get some really great AAA exclusives).

I feel like I have a really good view/perspective of this too because I enjoy gaming on both PC and consoles. Guess I get to enjoy the best of both worlds while others limit themselves.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-09-02 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    OP asked to keep the whole "PC Master Race" bullshit out of the thread.

Yeah, we get it. PC #1! Blah, blah, blah.

I have a high end gaming rig that blows any console out of the water too. But you don't see me flaunting it or calling consoles crap (whether bluntly or covertly). I also have two Xbox Ones and enjoy the hell out of them (the wife and I can't wait for Destiny to get here!). I'm sorry you are missing out on some really great console exclusives. Your loss, not ours.

As a sidenote: It really seems like console gamers and PC gamers are switching roles. Whereas before, console gamers were generally the ones who acted like hardcore fanboys and trolls, I've noticed more and more PC gamers acting this way while the console people just kinda say "whatever". Anyone else noticed this? Especially this console generation? I feel like PC exclusive gamers are trying to make up for the fact that consoles get more attention and time dedicated to them (and the fact that consoles also get some really great AAA exclusives).

I feel like I have a really good view/perspective of this too because I enjoy gaming on both PC and consoles. Guess I get to enjoy the best of both worlds while others limit themselves.

I realize that I was blunt, but there's two things worth noting:

1. The PC gaming marketshare blows consoles out of the water. For perspective, this was in 2009:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blo...mers-are-there

If you follow Steam user trends, that number has likely doubled since or came close. Another interesting note, peak concurrent Steam users outnumber XBox One units shipped, that's massive. So I'd argue the opposite, developers care more about PC. AAA console exclusives exist because they receive obscene amounts of money from Microsoft or Sony to keep it on their platform, not because developers don't want to release for PC. This brings me to my second point:

2. People are vocal because the console market is a ripoff designed from the ground up to bleed users for money. Game prices are jacked up to no end to recover costs on the console sales themselves, this is why you see console game prices 300% higher than their PC counterparts years after release. Then they go ahead and charge you $10-15 (I don't know what the current price is) a month just to utilize an internet connection that you already pay someone else for. On top of all of this, you then have Sony and Microsoft getting shady in the background with developers, giving them tons of cash to keep certain games only on their platform. Again, to drive sales of their consoles, which they lose money or break even on causing them to jack up game prices and double dip charge on your internet connection.

Don't even get me started on $60 controllers that net them 95% profit...

It's all a vicious circle that is completely anti-consumer. It's shit wrapped in more shit. Shitception, is what the console industry is, basically.

Keep PC VS Console debates out of the thread. -Infracted. Lucetia
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2014-09-02 at 04:40 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics