Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elmoe420 View Post
    Overall I wouldn't recommend reading WoT. It is just too much of an investment for the quality of the series. It really starts to ramble around book 5 and doesn't make it back out of the weeds until book 11. The two dimensional female leads in particular can be really hard to stomach. While the series does have its moments the time you spend reading those 14 books could be spent reading 14 other much much better books.

It you are dead set on diving into a long epic fantasy series I would say try Steven Erikson's Malazan series (first book Gardens of the Moon) long before WoT.
    I just want to point out the irony of pointing out that a series turns rambling, and then suggest Malazan. It goes great, great, good, warble warble warble warble warble where am I?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Really, how could he think a spoiled dandy who maybe fought with his life on the line a total of 10-20 times could compair to someone who had done that for 10-30 years?
    It all goes back to during the rebellion at the tower, when Gawyn kills Hammar, then when he's training with (and easily beating)Slade whose claim to fame is he once beat Lan in one round of a best of three duel. But yeah she didn't really have a leg to stand on when it came to that arguement. Still one of my favourite lines in the series is when Lan's walking back to camp and his two generals are watching, they see him get attacked by two fades, he proceeds to kill both, and one general turns to the other and says "I'd heard he was good... But LIGHT!". Made me chuckle
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    the best series I have ever read

up there with GoT

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mackeral View Post
    the best series I have ever read

up there with GoT
    Sadly Game of Thrones probably ruined me for Wheel of Time. If I'd read them in the opposite order I might have enjoy the latter a lot more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Sadly Game of Thrones probably ruined me for Wheel of Time. If I'd read them in the opposite order I might have enjoy the latter a lot more.
    I had the same feeling about GoT and Malazan. Since reading Malazan I'm just not feeling GoT as much as I used to, basically everything GoT does, Malazan does better and more importantly, faster

But let's not turn this into a comparison thread, because those are surefire ways for bitches to get Banhammered!

So closing statement, Love Wheel of Time, one of my favourite book series ever, right up there with GoT and Malazan
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Wish I never saw the GoT show before I started to read A Song of Ice and Fire, the first book and first season is just the exact same thing, so couldn't even finish the first one because I got bored.. Heard the books are great though!

Anyways, WoT is my nr1 fav series for sure, read it 3 times (2nd and 3rd time I automatically skipped a lot of the description of the wind the grass and all that..)
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore