Poll: Would you accept immortality with a contract? (read op for details)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    1. Accept contract
    2. Murder EVERYONE
    3. Write about it
    4. Find aliens
    5. Sell genocide book for massive xenoprofit.
    6. Await the heat death of the universe in luxury.

Yea, I'd probably do it, but without all the murder.
    Made me think, what if in Superman 4 he let go of the nukes at the wrong moment and hit the Earth.
    When work feels overwhelming, remember that you're going to die.

Deleted
    Yes, sounds easy enough.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd do it, but I'd only use comic sans as a font, together with my poor english skills, it would be a comically bad read.

Guess it depends on what classifies as being significant enough. Of course, I probably wouldn't take immortality even without a condition.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Say someone came up to you offering immortality. However, it would come at a cost; You would be the recorder of humanity. You would keep a record of everything humanity does of significance. You would write down their accomplishments, their shame, everything. You would be ever living, nothing more then a keeper of our history. You would otherwise be free to live where, or how you wish.

Would you accept such a contract?

Doens't Astinus already have that job

EJL

It'd give me a greater purpose, and I think I'd really like that once I got used to it. Though I imagine I'd get pretty callous after a hundred years or so with everyone I knew dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Ofcourse.
    For the first thousands years I would focus on growing my intelligence.
    While scheming and become extremely rich and powerful.
    And then probably become something like elon musk and use my power to advance us faster so life gets more interesting faster o_o
    Plus with 1000 years of education I would probably be able to build rocket engines by myself with no help other than a 3D printer.

Immortal Iron Man ftw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It'd give me a greater purpose, and I think I'd really like that once I got used to it. Though I imagine I'd get pretty callous after a hundred years or so with everyone I knew dead.
    But you would meet new people, and you could continue having children, and get to know your grandchildren + greats as you go along.
    If you spent your time trying to better mankind eventually you would likely become world renown and eventually end up like a living god.

Edit: Actually the only way people could "Stop you" or "End you" would be by locking you up for a very long time, but all that would succeed in doing is making you go insane, and then if you ever did get released you would likely bring destruction to mankind.

Deleted
    No, that sounds boring as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Say someone came up to you offering immortality. However, it would come at a cost; You would be the recorder of humanity. You would keep a record of everything humanity does of significance. You would write down their accomplishments, their shame, everything. You would be ever living, nothing more then a keeper of our history. You would otherwise be free to live where, or how you wish.

Would you accept such a contract?
    Yes but only because of your description. I'm an archivist, it's what I love to do. I'd be that asshole stuck in The Library in the last airbender.

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

If I didn't age and had permanently good health then maybe. It depends on how many hours I would have to spend writing each day. If it was just a few hours a day then sure. Especially if I could cancel if I changed my mind later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    As long as we are talking historical significance"
    I wouldn't say there has been anything historically significant in the past 10 years. However, loving and losing so much... I couldn't imagine watching future husbands, wifes, kids, grandkids etc all getting old and dying.