Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ...
    I love how the latter part of this thread devolved into "X vs Russia" let alone military technology, tactics and history.

I hate to chime in given all these informed tactical savants forecasting the results of a US vs Russia war, but I feel obligated to point something out..

Should Russia and the US collide in conventional war, and the rest of the world not intervene to diffuse the situation in time, we would literally see MAD doctrine come into play. That fact alone IS the single most powerful deterrent in terms of preventing a US vs Russia war.

On the note of ICBM's which I read in the earlier part of this thread.. that gave me a pretty good laugh.

The US military has had the ability to eliminate ICBM's for a few decades now. Those methods of ICBM elimination have multiplied over time, and now the US military is actively (and successfully) testing technology to eliminate ICBM's that equates to science fiction made reality. However, should Russia launch ICBM's at the US the fact of the matter is there will be far more ICBM's in flight then there are US countermeasures available.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

What all this talk about nukes does is give the smaller countries of the world even more incentive to get them.

Ukraine's biggest blunder was agreeing to not retain nukes when the Soviet Union broke up.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

He's only telling people that if he wanted war he could start and end it really quick as proof that he isn't after war. Make sense? oh well it's putin

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    What all this talk about nukes does is give the smaller countries of the world even more incentive to get them.

Ukraine's biggest blunder was agreeing to not retain nukes when the Soviet Union broke up.
    They only agreed to give up their arsenal after the US, the UK and Russia signed a Treaty pledging to uphold Ukraine's territorial sovereignty. Not that the Russians gave a shit about that...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    But the point regarding the ethnic mixture is quite true... For 1000 yrs a melting pot of German and Russian heritage/influence. That doesn't go away in some 50 yrs.
    Everywhere is a melting pot of everything. The funny thing about melting pots is that when you melt the stuff together, you end up with something new. Sometimes that takes a while to happen, but it does happen. The US, for an easy example, has had huge influxes of English, Irish, German, Czech, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Philippino, Mexican, etc. etc. You ask those people now, and they'll say they're American. A few of those whose families immigrated within 1 generation might say they're Korean-American, but the American part is still critical there. Yet no one would claim that the US isn't a legitimate country of its own because it's made up of all these different ethnicities. Just because the Poles have had their territory come and go over the years doesn't make the present people there any less Poles. The fact that Estonia had no country of their own for a long time doesn't make them any less Estonian.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    He's only telling people that if he wanted war he could start and end it really quick as proof that he isn't after war. Make sense? oh well it's putin
    This is in response to the world saying that Putin wants war with Ukraine. He's just pointing out that if he did want war he'd be done with it already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravasi View Post
    I'm sure he could if Europe was a lawless wasteland with no politcal boundaries.
    If Russia was a Muslim country or if Russians were black, no politician in Europe would have the balls to say a word because they'd be afraid of being called racists.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2014-09-03 at 03:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    If Russia was a Muslim country or if Russians were black, no politician in Europe would have the balls to say a word because they'd be afraid of being called racists.
    How is that related to the topic?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Britain would have fallen to Hitler with barely any resistance if the US wasn't supplying you, via braving U-boat-dominated waters, navally before we even entered the war. The British did not player a major role in WW2, don't kid yourself. It was mostly the Americans and Chinese in the pacific, and the Americans and the Soviets in Europe.
    This is borderline some of the least intelligent stuff I've read on these boards. The British played a very large part. The geostrategic locations of the european countries and their accessibility with force for the Axis is what made them have a hard time defending. If Nazi Germany were located where canada or even Mexico is during WW2 then the US would've crumbled like a cookie run over by a Leopard tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    This is borderline some of the least intelligent stuff I've read on these boards. The British played a very large part. The geostrategic locations of the european countries and their accessibility with force for the Axis is what made them have a hard time defending. If Nazi Germany were located where canada or even Mexico is during WW2 then the US would've crumbled like a cookie run over by a Leopard tank.
    Britain played a marginal role relative to the other players in the war.

Deleted
    Yeah... No, history isn't your strong point

And I could rob a bank and get lots of money.

But there will be repercussions.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    This is in response to the world saying that Putin wants war with Ukraine. He's just pointing out that if he did want war he'd be done with it already.
    Yes. Somewhat related to what Carter said about Iran. " I could have wiped Iran off the map if I had wanted to" or something along that line.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest you actually study something before commenting on it, it helps to not make really far fetched comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id be interested in your definition of marginal but it would certainly have played out differently if Hitler had not broken the non aggression pact he had with soviet and opened the eastern front, even if it would probably have ended badly for Hitler still without military support of the USSR.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-10-29 at 04:54 PM.

The US could probably erase Russia from the map in one night.

What's his point?

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    The US could probably erase Russia from the map in one night.

What's his point?

Along with everyone else being erased from the conflict that would happen due to a nuke being launched. Everyone would die because everyone would either be nuked or die within a couple years from fallout.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Why would a world leader boast a claim regardless of hypothetical logic
    It's politics. Western leaders have made subtle threats before and Putin refuses to be subtle.

10+ Year Old Account
    We already have a very large ongoing thread for all things Russian/Ukraine/Putin situation:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-in-drill-1-1

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |