Poll: Which was the worst expack lore-wise?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    How the hell is MoP leading? MoP has it flaws like how Garrosh suddenly becomes totally crazy after seemingly going in the other direction in Cata (I could of easily accepted WOTLK Garrosh becoming MoP Garrosh but not Cata Garrosh) but the story is decently told and other than that leap makes sense and is consistent. It also has the Mantid, Lei-Shen who is probably one of the best done side villains, and Pandaria itself has tons of other great little bits of lore. People are just blinded by "PANDA'S WAAAHHH" (by the way though they aren't as well done as some other stuff the Pandarian's get some solid bits of lore too, and a more established culture and society than a good bit of other older races).

The correct answer is TBC, almost nothing made sense in TBC, And it's derailment of characters was by far the greatest and the worst, especially Kael'thas where absolutely nothing resembling his previous characterization remains, I still barely understand why we were even fighting Illidan beyond "the Shatari told us to" He may of been made into more of a dick than he was in WC 3 but he still wasn't a threat to Azeroth at all, he was building an army to fight THE BURNING LEGION not us. It made almost no sense to fight him when we have at different points allied with people significantly more evil than him to fight a greater evil (like we did with the Mantid). And then we had Zul'aman a cool middle raid to be sure, but one with pretty much no build up at all. Firelands, Ulduar and Throne of Thunder were being built up to in the earlier patches of their respective expansions, Zul'Aman had maybe a couple of quest in Ghostlands as lead up.

Pretty much the only good lore in TBC is the Blood Elf story apart from Kael'thas, the Akkora and the Mag'har stuff. The Dreanei are cool too have potential but they've never done enough with them

Cata started strong but became a mess toward the end, but it never reached the levels of nonsense that TBC did. And at least Deathwing's character change could be explained by him being totally subservent to the Old Gods now and as such much crazier than before and less of a schemer because he was now carrying out someone else's schemes.
    Last edited by Mgann-Morzz; 2014-09-02 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Oh lol. I understood it perfectly, it's not like it was very deep. It was the most shallow expansion lore-wise.
    There was hardly any story to it at all, other than "here are a bunch of guys from WC3/TFT, have fun killing them"
    Did you have a brainlapse while writing this then? These 2 statements contradict.

It's fine to say like Markred did that the story was all over the place, because indeed it didn't spoon feed it to you like more recent expansions / games do, but even to say there was hardly any story at all and the characters were just there to "have fun killing them", and is comparable to saying a TES game has no lore.

And at least Deathwing's character change could be explained by him being totally subservent to the Old Gods now and as such much crazier than before.
    Being subservent doesn't change you from EXTRMELY INTELLIGENT to dumber than rocks (even by wow's standard he is one of the dumbest bosses we've faced)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Every exp had it good and bad parts. In TBC there are more bad parts as in the other exp, so I go for TBC with WotLK coming in a close 2nd followed closely by Cata, while I liked MoP and Vanilla. I can't rate WoD yet, gotta do loremaster first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't feel attached to Cata's story and theme, just didn't connect with the overarchin theme, compared to say otherworldly like WoD or unexplored like Northrend.

Deleted
    TBC. Just felt very, very lame compared to the other expansions (lorewise).

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markred View Post
    I have to say TBC, the story was all over the place. I'm suprised MoP is leading at the moment tbh, the MoP story lore was amazing

- - - Updated - - -

I think you misread the question.
    "BOOT IT HED KUNGFOOO PUNDAS, HOW CAN IT BE A GOD STERY ZOMGZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!"
    I actually bet most of the panda hate is from kids who wanna look cool and mature.

EDIT: surprised by all the WotLK fans. I thought the story was lame. LK acted like an anime villain. "I could kill you now but I won't for dramatic flare! Feel me evil wrath!"

I was half surprised he didn't confess his sins to the light and turn his life around and become friends at the end. Awful villain.
    Last edited by Toosdey; 2014-09-02 at 06:55 PM.

Having played since vanilla, for me the worst expansion lore-wise has got to be The Burning Crusade. For me, the best expansion has been Wrath of the Lich King. Next for me is Mists of Pandaria. I was originally very critical about the Pandaren being in the game but they've since really grown on me. I'm going to miss them when we leave Pandaria for Draenor.

Deleted
    WOD - everything wich leads to pull the TIME TRAVEL card is meant to be bad.....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgann-Morzz View Post
    People are just blinded by "PANDA'S WAAAHHH".
    Exactly. What makes it even worse is that a good chunk of the people who vote MoP probably don't even care much about lore, and judge it solely based on face value.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Did you have a brainlapse while writing this then? These 2 statements contradict.

It's fine to say like Markred did that the story was all over the place, because indeed it didn't spoon feed it to you like more recent expansions / games do, but even to say there was hardly any story at all and the characters were just there to "have fun killing them", and is comparable to saying a TES game has no lore.
    But that's pretty much exactly what Blizzard must have had in mind when making TBC. They took a bunch of characters we knew, threw them in our faces, and spent very little on building them up. Lore was only an afterthought, which is precisely why TBC fails in comparison to every other expansion lore wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    But that's pretty much exactly what Blizzard must have had in mind when making TBC. They took a bunch of characters we knew, threw them in our faces, and spent very little on building them up. Lore was only an afterthought, which is precisely why TBC fails in comparison to every other expansion lore wise.
    Your argument has changed from before, so I'm not really buying it. That being said there is VERY CLEAR REASONS why those characters are there, most of them were connected before WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Burning Crusade's lore, pre 2.4, was all over the place and convoluted. Also, a lot of changes and such.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Your argument has changed from before, so I'm not really buying it. That being said there is VERY CLEAR REASONS why those characters are there, most of them were connected before WoW.
    My argument hasn't changed, so I'm not sure what you are going on about. Lorewise, TBC was incredibly shallow. That's all I've been saying.

And obviously they were connected and had reasons to be there. That isn't the point; maybe you should reread my posts instead of spouting out irrelevant information.

Ssssssshhhhhaaaaaman. That is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait wait wait. First someone explain to me how TBC was the worst. Illidan went crazy and wanted to fight against the burning legion, yet had burning legion minions at his disposal. Kael'Thas became power hungry and trusted KJ instead of Illidan. Vashj owed some kind of debt to Illidan (correct me if I'm wrong). Magtheridon was kept under check. Gruul was... not sure. Karazhan was a side-house, a mansion we players get to explore.

Now Cataclysm was without a doubt the worst. There was not enough with Cho"Gall and Garona (the person that caused Garona to kill the first king). Neptulon didn't have a solid start. N'Zoth didn't have anything to do with the expansion. Uldum barely had any lore, just some Indiana Jones parody. Deepholme was cool, sorta but the earth warder didn't do enough. Nothing at all with Al Akir. And don't get me started on the supposed dragon soul that was added for lore sake but was never on the actual history lore itself. Firelands was the only cool thing about it.

No idea how anyone can say MoP was the worst. No doubt there will be some conditonal bias here since we're still in MoP and we're currently at a one-year content drought now. MoP is the best the story has written thus far.

WOW story has never been super great, it has always been about the immersion of the environment that caused more effect than anything.

Deleted
    First time I played the game (late 5.2) A friend recruited me so the x3 exp boosted me straight through to Cata.
    On several characters that I have since leveled Id say MoP is the worst Lore wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please stop tempting me to answer such questions. lol
    Look! Words!

TBC because most of the lore for it had to be found outside the game, almost none of the lore was explained through ingame events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted Cataclysm. BC wasn't much better. The story in Mists was pretty interesting if mostly made up out of whole cloth. You just had to be open-minded about it. There was some very power story-telling going on that wasn't about Garrosh. I pretty much hated that entire piece of the expansion as it made the mistake of associating the whole faction with a war criminal. I don't think the story needed to go there and it certainly didn't need to piss off the thoughtful people who like the faction's precepts about honor.

Cataclysm got my vote simply because there was some potentially good lore there to work through but the entire thing was very badly mishandled. Mishandled to the point where some of the dumbness that was BC began to look OK. I can't think of anything in Cataclysm that was actually well-handled except for the remake of the world which supported that piece of the story quite well.

Off-topic slightly (but maybe not): Metzen really needs to reach out creatively to others, maybe Christie Golden and others, to do something about getting off the rails he's on with regard to story/lore. I think he's done a decent job up to this point but it seems as if there's no real coherent story after the Legion. If we are going to get new lore for after that, some fresh thinking might be useful. The foreshadowing for that new lore needs to start happening very soon although this alternate timeline business is the wrong expansion for that.

For the most point, despite the title of the game, I'd like to see a story that has a few more shades of grey, some of the current races becoming more neutral (most of them have beefs with their faction capitals), and other races shading more towards co-operation in the face of something truly dangerous external threat.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-09-02 at 07:22 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I never paid much attention to the lore. I look at it by how much fun i was having playing the game with that amount declining with each xpac. BC was my fav was always doing stuff never bored great raiding experiences didn't care about lore was having to much fun to bother with anything other than killin/farmin looking back at the lore eh I can't tell you much about it was to busying killing stuff. MoP clusterfk of pandas mogus and mantids that never really make sense. The main race of the game is a joke might as well have said ok here they are see ya later and oh wait heres another horde centric ending. I hated nearly everything about cataclysm but I think MoP and its pandabears claims #1 for me.

If Cata had been as fun as BC even parts of LK I would have forgave a lot of stuff
    Same with MoP if I had actually had fun in MoP I would have forgave the pandas and pokemon

They already have my money for WoD /shrug I hope we do get to see some squid goats from space and not just more fucking orcs for all of WoD.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by Mgann-Morzz View Post
    How the hell is MoP leading? MoP has it flaws like how Garrosh suddenly becomes totally crazy after seemingly going in the other direction in Cata (I could of easily accepted WOTLK Garrosh becoming MoP Garrosh but not Cata Garrosh) but the story is decently told and other than that leap makes sense and is consistent. It also has the Mantid, Lei-Shen who is probably one of the best done side villains, and Pandaria itself has tons of other great little bits of lore. People are just blinded by "PANDA'S WAAAHHH" (by the way though they aren't as well done as some other stuff the Pandarian's get some solid bits of lore too, and a more established culture and society than a good bit of other older races).

The correct answer is TBC, almost nothing made sense in TBC, And it's derailment of characters was by far the greatest and the worst, especially Kael'thas where absolutely nothing resembling his previous characterization remains, I still barely understand why we were even fighting Illidan beyond "the Shatari told us to" He may of been made into more of a dick than he was in WC 3 but he still wasn't a threat to Azeroth at all, he was building an army to fight THE BURNING LEGION not us. It made almost no sense to fight him when we have at different points allied with people significantly more evil than him to fight a greater evil (like we did with the Mantid). And then we had Zul'aman a cool middle raid to be sure, but one with pretty much no build up at all. Firelands, Ulduar and Throne of Thunder were being built up to in the earlier patches of their respective expansions, Zul'Aman had maybe a couple of quest in Ghostlands as lead up.

Pretty much the only good lore in TBC is the Blood Elf story apart from Kael'thas, the Akkora and the Mag'har stuff. The Dreanei are cool too have potential but they've never done enough with them

Cata started strong but became a mess toward the end, but it never reached the levels of nonsense that TBC did. And at least Deathwing's character change could be explained by him being totally subservent to the Old Gods now and as such much crazier than before and less of a schemer because he was now carrying out someone else's schemes.

I agree that the reasons for going after Illidan were pretty off. Although, to an extent it made a little sense, just due to the Hellfire Peninsula and Zangamar Marsh. BC starts with the Burning Legion attacking us, we go through the portal and find more Legion. We push through, and have our respective camps for the zone, and we find Fel Orc running about trying to kill us. Those Orcs answer to Illidan. So a mix of Fel Orcs and Burning Legion are on our kill list, with Illidan (someone who is on everyone's kill list to begin with, remember he's a fugitive to the Alliance, only Kael'thas, Tyrande and Malfurion know what he was really doing in TFT, to everyone else he went on a genocidal rampage with Naga across the globe, and at no point was it ever made clear that his true intentions were revealed to anyone beyond those three) being a supposed leader. In the Marsh we run into Naga who claim allegiance to Illidan. Basically, due to poor management, when potential allies come through the Dark Portal, Illidan's minions turn them hostile. Couple that with the fact that everyone under him is trying to subvert him, the Shat'ari loathe demons without exception and Illidan is at least partially a demon, and likes to use fel magic like a demon...I mean, he certainly had very little going for him to begin with, but he certainly didn't do a good job to prove himself to not be the bad guy. All of that information was fairly buried under past games, book lore and random quest text, and also wasn't brought forward to the WoW player that well. All of that being said, I still think MoP had the worst lore. The story was told half decently, but the content of the story was complete crap.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?