Poll: Which was the worst expack lore-wise?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Storywise Cataclysm were great when we take the xpack alone; the patches after the release of cataclysm were simply very very VERY bad storywise; Fireland had his moments and don't forget the overwork of the old zones. Lorewise it was a big upgrade, althrough the human zones were really lackluster.

We don't talk here about gameplay, but LOREWISE TBC was definitively the worst xpack: The story was simply all over the place, we came to the portal but what do we do: instead of fighting the Legion on the gate and push them back we simply took the chicken-route and go to Honor Hold to collect scrap metal. Also without raiding the story of TBC had MANY plotholes; nothing explain why Kael'thas went crazy and joined the legion, why the Naga are there (and how the heck did they went through the portal and build this buildings in this short of time), why Illidan went against the legion and so on.

MoP had a great story, the poll simply showed against: PANDA WÄÄÄÄÄH; but from a pure lore-standpoint there aren't many plotholes, except the beginning of the alliance-starting-experience there. But this is because Jade Forest had a big overwork in the beta and they tried to stitch the existing story in.

MoP. It just didnt work out for me. The whole Anduin and Wrathion spotlight wasnt attractive. The Siege part and the use of Orgrimmar was the only good part of the expansion for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Exactly. What makes it even worse is that a good chunk of the people who vote MoP probably don't even care much about lore, and judge it solely based on face value.
    I voted for MoP because the whole concept of the Pandaren's struggles with the Sha just sucks. I thought the expansion was supposed to be about the Pandaren trying to mediate between the Horde and Alliance and teach us about peace and shit but it just turned into this cartoon-ish nonsense about killing your inner demons. As usual, there are no straight up evil characters in WoW. Everyone is just possessed or corrupted by spooky spirits. Garrosh was our chance to have a villain who was just a dick for the sake of being a dick, but no, they had to use the corruption cop-out. This game is rated T, can't we just kill a motherfucker instead of freeing his soul? I'm so sick of the whole "Thank you heroes, I don't know what came over me. Sorry for being a bad dude and raising an army to destroy the world" schtick. I log in and I just don't know what's going on, lore-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    The lore in MOP wasn't necessarily BAD...it just wasn't as good as the previous xpacs. I didn't really feel any personal reason to go after raid bosses this time, other than "they drop cool loot".
    This is how I pretty much feel about MoP and why it's my least fav in terms of lore. There was interesting stuff but like the Vale and the Thunder King but it didn't make me care enough. I'd probably pick WotLK as my favorite as I loved the whole Argent Tournament stuff even if the raid itself was so-so.

WoD's story so far seems really bad, like someones fanfiction thats being used. But I won't vote it before I actually play it.

Its a close one between Cata and MoP. I really dislike the theme of MoP, and never cared for the Anduin x Wrathion and all the pandaren stuff. I did like the mantid and to some extend Garrosh's intentions. Cata's lore was just bad, Thrall was everywhere and they turned Deathwing into another lame ''herp derp smash'' dragon, who never had an actual plan other then ''LETS SMASH WYRMREST!''.

I think the only Cata lore I slightly liked was Vash'ir (which never even got finished and probably never will....) and the beginning of Twilight Highlands as Horde. But for the rest, Hyjal and Deepholm are bland and Uldum is a joke.

So my vote goes to Cata.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zozobra View Post
    I voted for MoP because the whole concept of the Pandaren's struggles with the Sha just sucks. I thought the expansion was supposed to be about the Pandaren trying to mediate between the Horde and Alliance and teach us about peace and shit but it just turned into this cartoon-ish nonsense about killing your inner demons. As usual, there are no straight up evil characters in WoW. Everyone is just possessed or corrupted by spooky spirits. Garrosh was our chance to have a villain who was just a dick for the sake of being a dick, but no, they had to use the corruption cop-out. This game is rated T, can't we just kill a motherfucker instead of freeing his soul? I'm so sick of the whole "Thank you heroes, I don't know what came over me. Sorry for being a bad dude and raising an army to destroy the world" schtick. I log in and I just don't know what's going on, lore-wise.
    It's obvious that you did not understand MoPs story at all. Garrosh was not corrupted, he was conquering the power. There was no "freeing his soul" going on there.

That depends on if you mean story content, or story telling delivery. MoP had by far the least interesting content so far, but it was delivered the best. TBC had arguably one of the most interesting plots, but it was delivered quite poorly, to the point that you could easily finish it and not know what actually happened. Since I actually read quest text and know what is going on anyway though, I voted MoP.

Burning Crusade made no sense.

Kael's good, but then he's not, but then he's eviler, now he's dead, but wait he's not, oh phew guess he is. Not to mention Illidan's death has been confirmed as something that's going to be retconned. And, I feel this is the most important thing - nothing actually happened. We just randomly waltzed into Outland, killed a bunch of people (Vashj, Gruul, Kael, et al) for no reason whatsoever, when it's entirely evident that they would've ended up killing each other anyway.

Cataclysm is a close second, but only for two reasons: Vashj'ir was explained years later - through twitter of all things, and even that was completely a "Oh yeah. You still remember that? Well... Um, I guess this happened? Sure, let's go with that. Idk lol" type of situation. And the other thing is the ending. Dragon aspects out of nowhere decide they're done and Kalec high fives Thrall in the background for knocking up Aggra.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2014-09-02 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Deleted
    Well we had Chen Stormstout for long time. Vanilla was basic, an unexplored homeworld, start of everything. Burning Crusade was because the Dark Portal reopened and it had to be defended (also full of legion stuff, long time in wow). Wotlk was Lich King attacking, strongly connected in Azeroth history, same thing with Cataclysm. Mop was discovering a new continent (we knew there were pandaren in wow) and Alliance and Horde's rivalry rose up. Honestly I think WoD has worst lore, a defeated enemy escapes back to past. Kinda has nothing from WoW history.

TBC, there was no cohesive story at all.

Anyone that pointed out towards MoP as the worst expansion lore-wise has a most definitely WRONG opinion....MoP was THE expansion that brought the lore and INTEGRATED it ingame on a grand scale....you guys should go play vanilla and tbc...have fun finding ANY lore there kek

The fact that TBC isn't winning this poll means that people need to take off their rose-colored glasses for a minute and think. I'd argue there's almost not even room for opinion on this.

TBC story in a nutshell:
    Draenei crash-land in Azeroth.
    Blood elves decide that orcs and trolls, two races that attempted and nearly succeeded in destroying their homeland, are better company than their former allies (the stormwind humans did literally nothing to them).
    Legion demons attack through the dark portal. We fight them off.
    We go to outland. Illidan is doing bad things and enslaving people on Outland and this is bad! He doesn't really have any interest at all in Azeroth but who cares.
    We go there and we help the people of Outland from Illidan, despite having a mutual enemy in the legion.
    Kael'thas went insane.
    Vashj is hogging water so we kill her.
    We kill Illidan despite the utter pointlessness of it (seriously, to this day you cannot give me one good reason why we return to a destroyed planet to kill someone with a mutual enemy. Just try.)
    We kill Kael'thas again.
    Kil'jaeden tries to come through the sunwell. We stop him, and restore the Sunwell through the powers of an omniscient wind chime.

Seriously. This is the expansion. We went and killed Illidan for virtually no discernable reason. The entire expansion was just an excuse to turn notable characters into bosses and nothing more.
    I intentionally didn't include the draenei retcon or their ridiculous lore (or general lack of it until WoD) because I think the basis of the expansion itself is already stupid enough to speak for itself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    TBC, there was no cohesive story at all.
    TBC would be my second choice after MOP. The only reason I picked MOP is 1) it didn't really give me much reason to go after raid and dungeon bosses other than "they drop loot". I didn't have much personal investment in the story, other than levelling in Jade Forest and Kun-Lai. Also, the whole Garrosh going nuts thing was really rushed and forced. In Cataclysm he was not portrayed that way (though in Wrath he was). It seems like Blizzard said "Hey guys, players don't like Garrosh, find a way to get rid of him", and they rushed it. His fall into being mad with power and wanting orc domination over everything could've been portrayed MUCH MUCH better. But all the raids and dungeons in MOP were really out of left field, except for SOO.

As for TBC...well Illidan was insane after his fight with Arthas. And he was blackmailed into working for Kil'jaeden because KJ backed him into a corner and basically said "obey me or die". He still wanted to fight against him but he didn't really have much choice. This is all portrayed at the end of the Frozen Throne WC3 expansion. Illidan didn't really bother me. The only thing about TBC that bothered me plot-wise was the Naga draining water from Zangarmarsh. Even the NPC's ask the question "Why are they doing this? It makes no sense!" but it was never resolved. That was really...out there. You're led to believe that they are just wanting to control water in Zangarmarsh but they're just sending it into the Twisting Nether because reasons. SSC did not explain this at all. I would've been ok if they had Vashj explain either before or during the fight just what the heck she was doing. As for Kael'thas...I think he just drank a little too much demon juice and went nuts. All the BE's that went to Outland started feeding on massive amounts of fel energy (much more than the ones that remained behind on Azeroth and joined the horde), so that doesn't surprise me. I honestly think that's the reason Voren'thal and the Scryers defected, because they saw what was happening to Kael'thas and the others.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-09-02 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP had the most cohesive writing I think, but that doesn't mean it was the best lore. I think a better question is "Which expac fucked up wow lore the least?"

MoP was good, and Lore rocket up until 5.4... and I could argue that the Rebellion Lore could have been way better.

Cataclysm was also great up until Dragon Soul, and the Aspects giving up their powers, because reasons and how Deathwing's character just goes totally retarded! Has last stand, could attack world tree, or destroy Dalaran, or kill all the Dragonflights in Wyrmrest... Runs to Maelstrom... again...

WotLK was by far totally fricken awesome with Lore, with Voidrassil, the Vyrkul, Muradin, and the Titans/Curse of Flesh.

I actually don't mind TBC, and think it actually does have decent lore in its zones, and dungeons... Raids... Ehhhhhh not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    TBC would be my second choice after MOP. The only reason I picked MOP is 1) it didn't really give me much reason to go after raid and dungeon bosses other than "they drop loot". I didn't have much personal investment in the story, other than levelling in Jade Forest and Kun-Lai. Also, the whole Garrosh going nuts thing was really rushed and forced. In Cataclysm he was not portrayed that way (though in Wrath he was). It seems like Blizzard said "Hey guys, players don't like Garrosh, find a way to get rid of him", and they rushed it. His fall into being mad with power and wanting orc domination over everything could've been portrayed MUCH MUCH better. But all the raids and dungeons in MOP were really out of left field, except for SOO.

As for TBC...well Illidan was insane after his fight with Arthas. And he was blackmailed into working for Kil'jaeden because KJ backed him into a corner and basically said "obey me or die". He still wanted to fight against him but he didn't really have much choice. This is all portrayed at the end of the Frozen Throne WC3 expansion. Illidan didn't really bother me. The only thing about TBC that bothered me plot-wise was the Naga draining water from Zangarmarsh. Even the NPC's ask the question "Why are they doing this? It makes no sense!" but it was never resolved. That was really...out there. You're led to believe that they are just wanting to control water in Zangarmarsh but they're just sending it into the Twisting Nether because reasons. SSC did not explain this at all. I would've been ok if they had Vashj explain either before or during the fight just what the heck she was doing. As for Kael'thas...I think he just drank a little too much demon juice and went nuts. All the BE's that went to Outland started feeding on massive amounts of fel energy (much more than the ones that remained behind on Azeroth and joined the horde), so that doesn't surprise me. I honestly think that's the reason Voren'thal and the Scryers defected, because they saw what was happening to Kael'thas and the others.
    I know why Illidan went nuts and Kael'Thas although I still find the story incredibly tame as for vashj she does mention that water is life and somewhat rare in Outland so she wanted to control it, but if it is so rare she made a piss poor judgement call sending it into the nether.. I mean there is a story somewhere I get that but it is so piss poor that the only thing with a worse story is Vanilla because there were no story really.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Burning Crusade made no sense. . .

and Kalec high fives Thrall in the background for knocking up Aggra.
    I seriously laughed my ass off. Thank you good sir.

Cata, mainly because of the Neptulon fustercluck. Hooray for storylines left hanging.

Oh, and the whole Luldum story.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2014-09-02 at 08:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla WoW definitely is the worst lore-wise. There are some areas that are fairly strong with lore, but a great deal of the world
    felt very "empty" in the sense that there was no unique stories or life to be found. It was literally carbon copy, albeit with some
    unique quests here and there.

BC was a great step in adding life to zones, but some were interesting (Shadow Moon) while a lot of other areas were just bland
    or uninspiring (Terokkar Forest).

Cata has some areas that are strong in lore, but others are somewhat forgettable. The story for their raids weren't very lore-inspiring
    either.

Mists and Wrath have the best lore in the game. Plenty of strong story-telling areas shown via quests and dungeons, even raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm biased on TBC, since I've played WC3 RoC and TFT and later Warcraft 2, ToD and Beyond the Dark Portal, so I already knew what the story was. Cataclysm was obviously a horrible expansion with green Jebus and the murder of Deathwing, ending eventually with his demise at the hands of green Jebus. But MoP was monstrous, it was one big joke, it actually started as an April Fools joke! The only good thing, lore-wise, about MoP is SoO. Ok, every expansion had its bad sides lore-wise, but TBC's bad sides were mostly class-balance based (though the return of Kael'Thas was horrid), Wrath seemed like one big experiment (and there was this horrible lore monster called ToC), Cata was all about the murder of Deathwings character and green Jebus, but at least those expansions weren't jokes that just got way out of hand.