Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I have my main gaming rig with 7 on it and a laptop I bought a few months ago running 8

8 drove me nuts for the first week (why hell is 8.1 an optional update?) Like the motion gestures on the track pad... so annying when playing a game and i graze the pad with my arm to bring up the metro UI (makes me laugh they bassicly added a third windows key) I've gotten used to it now but it's still a chore to find stuff so I'm glad to read their changing the control panel to resemble the older style and the new start menu looks great.

If it is free to 8 owners and it impresses me enough I may consider an upgrade for my desktop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Thanks, well it looks easier to work out how to turn it off this time!

Those colour choices...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Not to be rude, how can it take you more than a few days to get used to it? It's simple and easy to use. Not only that, you can completely ignore the Start screen and just use the desktop.
    It's vastly different from windows 7, and I never get used to settings/control panel being apps that covers the whole screen. Overall it feels like a maze to find what you're looking for. I don't want to go into metro-mode with all the app bullshit to change settings on my computer, the overall OS experience doesn't feel very smooth. You jump between metro and normal mode all the time.

I've set it to boot to the desktop, but the desktop in w8 is useless.
    Last edited by BHD; 2014-09-05 at 08:26 AM.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You should get Startisback or Start8. Both remove charms and provides a 100% Windows 7 Start Menu experience (including Start Menu search). With those programs, Windows 8 is literally the same as Windows 7, except faster and better but uglier.

I have Windows 8 at home, and Windows 7 on a $3000 computer at work. Windows 7 is slow, its even slower than my Intel Atom laptop.
    Does any of those two mods revert the task manager back to Windows 7 so I can have my end process action back, as well as allow me to actually find stuff?

Do they uninstall or at the very least suppress all of the horrible Windows 8 starting applications that handle images/video/music? (I know that you can change the default program handling these, and did that a long time ago, but every now and then Windows 8 feels like running it anyway.)

Calling Windows 7 slow, I really don't know about that, haven't noticed any real difference between Windows 8 and 7 in terms of speed. The only advantage I've found of Windows 8 is that you can pause file transfers (whoopdi fucking do).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Red View Post
    It's vastly different from windows 7, and I never get used to settings/control panel being apps that covers the whole screen. Overall it feels like a maze to find what you're looking for.

Covers the whole screen? I avoid those apps, you don't need them.

There is a normal Control Panel for example on the desktop, you can find through the, I think it's called File Explorer on W8? The folder on the bottom left of your screen. Just click on that, then click on desktop and you will see control panel.

I'm at work and using W7 so can't check, it's called Windows Explorer on W7.

Quote Originally Posted by Emariel View Post
    Does any of those two mods revert the task manager back to Windows 7 so I can have my end process action back, as well as allow me to actually find stuff?
    That button never went anywhere.

Deleted
    That button never went anywhere.
    It did, task manager in Windows 8 only has end task, not end process. End task is vastly inferior if you wish to shut down a program that has crashed, or if you wish to shut it down as if it crashed without letting it ask you to save etc. It's a quick no questions asked shut down any process you don't want running. End task doesn't do that.

It did, task manager in Windows 8 only has end task, not end process. End task is vastly inferior if you wish to shut down a program that has crashed, or if you wish to shut it down as if it crashed without letting it ask you to save etc. It's a quick no questions asked shut down any process you don't want running. End task doesn't do that.
    Not in the details tab? Might remember it wrong, I hardly ever go to that tab anymore (unlike W7).

Google tells me there's an "end process tree" option.

Deleted
    Not in the details tab? Might remember it wrong, I hardly ever go to that tab anymore (unlike W7).

Google tells me there's an "end process tree" option.
    Nope, looking through it right now, it does not have any end process button, only end task.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, looking through it right now, it does not have any end process button, only end task.

The Task Manager is actually one of the few things I like about Win 8 compared to 7, it has a few extra nifty things without taking anything away.
    My name is Necrox, and I'm an altoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Or go linux and not deal with metro sytle OS's? SteamOS?

Untill gabe gives us Half life 3 everything he says is dribble and bullshit.

Besides anyone who gets an os within its first year is just asking for problems and compatability issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrox View Post

The Task Manager is actually one of the few things I like about Win 8 compared to 7, it has a few extra nifty things without taking anything away.
    Huh, odd place to place it, ah well at least it did exist, although it does give you an annoying confirmation window. Still prefer the layout of the Windows 7 task manager though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, odd place to place it, ah well at least it did exist, although it does give you an annoying confirmation window. Still prefer the layout of the Windows 7 task manager though.
    It's where Askmekiel told you where it was...

If you went from W8 layout to W7, I am sure you would prefer the W8 layout.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    It's where Askmekiel told you where it was...
    He said there was an end process button in the details window, there is not, there is an end task button. They moved the end process function into the right click window (whatever that's called) and renamed it into "End process tree", that's not what he said.

Also, for whatever reason they don't have End process tree in the process tab, which is mildly confusing...

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    So increased performance, responsiveness and overall greatness of the OS is not enough? Metro and touchscreen-first nature is putting you off, man?

Somehow, I understand you. I kept myself away from Win8 for 2 years and I wish I didn't. Once I forced myself to get used to it, I've fallen in love. Don't get me wrong, Win7 was great, but Win8 is a whole lot more awesome.
    I started with windows 8 when it came out the door, as an IT Pro it's what I do. I didnt like it, but I used it on some devices. With 8.1 out the door I am in love, once you get the hang of it, windows 8.1 is sweet in certain areas, though I dislike the fullscreen Internet explorer (but I use Chrome so no biggy there).

It's vastly different from windows 7, and I never get used to settings/control panel being apps that covers the whole screen. Overall it feels like a maze to find what you're looking for. I don't want to go into metro-mode with all the app bullshit to change settings on my computer, the overall OS experience doesn't feel very smooth. You jump between metro and normal mode all the time.

Desktop in Win8 is pretty much identical to the Desktop in Win7 with quite a few enhancements. I don't even know how you get a full-screen Control Panel or Settings menu, I just right-click the windows icon (formerly the bottom-right corner) and select the thing I want from the power-user menu.

It amazes me that people who hate the Modern UI (formerly known as Metro) try to use it for everything, whereas I don't have a problem with it but mostly just use it for short-cuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Desktop in Win8 is pretty much identical to the Desktop in Win7 with quite a few enhancements. I don't even know how you get a full-screen Control Panel or Settings menu, I just right-click the windows icon (formerly the bottom-right corner) and select the thing I want from the power-user menu.

It amazes me that people who hate the Modern UI (formerly known as Metro) try to use it for everything, whereas I don't have a problem with it but mostly just use it for short-cuts.
    I go to settings via the panel that pops up when you hover in the down-right corner.

So you barely use metro but am amazed that people who actually do use it find it annoying. If the solution is to not use it, there's something wrong.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I go to settings via the panel that pops up when you hover in the down-right corner.

So you barely use metro but am amazed that people who actually do use it find it annoying. If the solution is to not use it, there's something wrong.
    1. Thats not Control Panel, thats the new Metro settings for all of the new things Windows 8/8.1 added like Bitlocker encryption, lock screen control, Bluetooth, touch screen (incl. charms), etc. Basically all the settings handy for a tablet, but mostly unnecessary for desktop. If you're using a mouse/keyboard, you really shouldn't be using Metro settings at all.

2. We're saying that you can easily get rid of everything you dislike, and roll around in the things that are great like a snappier UI, new task manager, better file transfers, etc. What you're saying is: "I hate Kool-Aid, but I keep drinking it". We're telling you to stop drinking the Kool-Aid if you hate it so much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, you just don't want W8, no matter what.... and thats ok, go on with W7. I think your problem is you have listened to all the garbage on the net and just decided it must be true so I am not going to give my new W8 the benefit and learn it.

W8 is way above W7, but you have already heard that (on the net).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Valve is not developing linux, they're developing Steam OS. There's a big difference between the two.
    They donate a lot of code. They constantly donated code to speed up open source drivers.

Which part? Sounds like your problems are religious/philosophical in nature rather than based on reality.
    Lets see...

#1 Digitally signed drivers. This isn't helping anyone on Windows, and it's a pain to turn the feature off.

#2 Windows activation. Swapping motherboards or any hardware can trigger a deactivation of Windows. Especially on a laptop where the OS is tied to the motherboard.

#3 Windows update. Wasn't there an update for Windows 8 that crippled some machines? This happens every so often with Microsoft. Also sometimes Windows Update changes it's own settings sometimes. I swear i set the thing to not auto update and some other Microsoft software like Office will change it back. Basically slowing the machine down and when I shut down or restart I have to wait for updates to apply. Why?

#4 Windows reliance on anti-virus software. Even Microsoft has their own crappy Security Essentials that lately has gotten really bad.