10+ Year Old Account

X99 - Worth the wait?

Hey all.
    Done a few threads like this, but now the stuff is available I'd remake the post.

So I'm running a pretty old PC, but it does what I want fine for now.
    But I think I deserve a present and want to build something that will pretty much be the best it can be for a long time.

I've put together a list and have the money for it, but I wanted some input.

Is it worth buying the new X99 stuff or should I just wait for the Broadwell/Skylake Chips and the newer SSDs?
    I'm also aware there's new GPUs in October some time, which I've roughly calculated into my budget, worth the Wait or buy 700 series when they drop the price?

I'll add the spec's later if need be.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600Hz | Gigabyte GTX 580 Superclocked Edition SLI | Lian-Li PC-P50WB | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (raid0) | Corsair RM-1000 80+ Gold | Corsair H60, 2x BitFenix Spectre Pro P/P config

10+ Year Old Account
    over a first gen 920? its a pretty massive upgrade

a 580 is still a beast card, but it's power hungry, generates enough heat to warm a house and is missing a rather substantial featureset

if you want to save some budget and get SSDs or dual gpus, look at devils canyon, the i7 is 4Ghz stock 4.4 turbo, and it costs significantly less to outfit than X99

Totally not worth the price of the CPU+Mobo+Memory. A 4690k/4790k would be the best option imo.
    The GPUs look to be worth waiting for though and they(the 970/980) are supposed to be coming mid-end of September and the 960 is supposed to be in October.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    X99 is extremely new and pricy. I would wait for the early adopters to get their hands on it, and for DDR4 memory to drop in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    X99 is extremely new and pricy. I would wait for the early adopters to get their hands on it, and for DDR4 memory to drop in price.
    Well if rumors are true and DDR4 doesn't sell very well, that is supposed to drive down the price of it and DDR3.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    over a first gen 920? its a pretty massive upgrade

a 580 is still a beast card, but it's power hungry, generates enough heat to warm a house and is missing a rather substantial featureset

if you want to save some budget and get SSDs or dual gpus, look at devils canyon, the i7 is 4Ghz stock 4.4 turbo, and it costs significantly less to outfit than X99
    The 580s weren't really intentional, got them for a steal so couldn't really say no (2 for $300AUD). Main Reason for getting the 8-core is for music and media production & some gaming (WoW/BF4)

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Totally not worth the price of the CPU+Mobo+Memory. A 4690k/4790k would be the best option imo.
    The GPUs look to be worth waiting for though and they(the 970/980) are supposed to be coming mid-end of September and the 960 is supposed to be in October.
    Ahh so they are skipping the 800 series. thought it was a typo at a suppliers end.

960 being the budget card I assume? (560 of the 900 series?)

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600Hz | Gigabyte GTX 580 Superclocked Edition SLI | Lian-Li PC-P50WB | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (raid0) | Corsair RM-1000 80+ Gold | Corsair H60, 2x BitFenix Spectre Pro P/P config

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post

960 being the budget card I assume? (560 of the 900 series?)
    nvidias sku scheme is actually pretty simple:

Budget: x50
    standard Gaming: x60
    high perf gaming: x70
    top perf gaming: x80
    dual gpu lolsauce: x90

ti indicates better than normal but not as good as the next level, usually they make these due to high numbers of odd binned chips, like when a batch comes in and is not good enough to be a x60, but too good for an x50, they will make an x50ti, this also allows them to release middle teir cards in response to whatever AMD releases that is usually cheaper

Yes, the 860/870/880 are now the 960/970/980, mainly due to the mobile market coming out with 9XXM chips and that wouldn't look very good advertising-wise since silly people usually think bigger numbers = better(hurr durr 960m is better than 880 cuz 900>800).

Got the info from here.