Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Though I share many pet peeves with him, you pay rent and must be comfortable at home as it should be your sanctuary. If not there, where else? Some people can't live together and stay friends. I wouldn't want strangers parading through my home either.

This is more of a "I have a horrible roommate problem."

This isn't really about who the "landlord" is. Most states have some sort of Tenant at will laws, which means you don't even have to have a lease to be considered a legal tenant. Most require some sort of payment of rent over a period of time, usually 3 months. Some laws don't even require a rent payment but have a time requirement. I don't know what state you live in, but chances are you have every legal right to leave lights on, doors open, and utilize the garbage disposal how you see fit.

Since the grievances you mentioned are basically pet peeves, you both are right and wrong. These are personal preferences and neither is the "correct" choice. Personally I turn the disposal off before water (and only use cold water), I like lights turned off and I like doors closed. So from my point of view, you're the "horrible roommate." Understand though, it is based on my preferences which are not necessarily "correct"

Generally in "horrible roommate" situations, the only lasting fix to the problem is one of the roommates moves out. Your friend has the upper hand here because his mom owns the property. I doubt he will ever feel the need to move out. You of course can move out, and is probably the best course of action because trying to get someone to change their pet peeves is near impossible.

If you value your friendship with him, I would sit down and discuss this. Tell him that you understand what he is saying but that you have different opinions. Tell him that you value his friendship and because of that you are going to start looking for a new place to live because you obviously are not compatible to live together. He might actually reevaluate his preferences and admit he might be a bit overbearing about them or he might not. If he does, maybe he will make a step to be more compromising to your lifestyle and you guys can live happily ever after. If not, you can eventually find a new place and he will understand that you didn't move out because you think he is a dick, but you moved out because you think your lifestyles are just not compatible. Either way, remember that you guys are friends, and losing a friendship because of the lights being on is lame.
    Last edited by SpcGuts; 2014-09-04 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of those situations where I firmly believe you are not nearly as great of a person to live with as you are portraying. I have no doubt your friend is anal and nit picky, but I also have no doubt you aren't as great about things as you claim. That's not really a knock against you as much as a statement about human nature.

The best thing you can do is wait until you are both calm and in good moods and sit down and discuss the fact that his way of approaching you about his issues is really upsetting you and that you want to work out a way to get to a resolution on these small issues. Remind him that you pay rent so you have rights there and it's not reasonable for him to demand you conform to his little OCD habits.

The reality is that you're probably going to be best served finding a new place to live. If the deal you get there is too good to pass up, then you need to find a way to deal with it. Because if you keep blowing up at your friend he'll likely kick you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I just want to point out that 99% of the time, the question of who's in the right and who in the wrong isn't very important. The important question is what you're going to do about it.
    This is so very true. In this case I agree he is being overly controlling about this, but at the same time in your case it doesn't really matter because you likely have no stake in the house (barring some sort of lease agreement). As others have said your friend is representing the owner and there is a good chance he has all the power in this situation. Find a new place to live or just deal with it.

was he brought up the way he's acting towards you? - if so then thats part of your problem..otherwise as others have said, either move out, talk about it or grin and bear it

and as for to many flies in the house......ffs tell him to throw his food away as all of those things like leaving lights on, doors open etc have nothing on food being left out for days on end (his mom probably done everything for him and he prob expects u to do it for him)

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Strangle your friend, cut him up into little pieces and put them in the garbage disposal.
    No no no, cut him up into little pieces and then bake them into a rich pecan pie to send to his parents for all their efforts to raise him.

Is he being nitpicky? Yes.

Are you learning how to be an adult, i.e. turning off lights? Yes

You two should meet in the middle.

I think you and your friend should not live in the same place, since difference between you will make you feel unhappy. Can I ask why you have to live with him?
    I have a previous roommate as your friend, when we live apart, we become closed than before.