Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    How about when even the evidence they're given doesn't support guilt, but they manipulate the system to get a conviction anyway so they have a nice track record?
    Please give an example of this? It isn't their job to confirm evidence, it is their job to argue the evidence. They aren't investigators or detectives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    Please give an example of this? It isn't their job to confirm evidence, it is their job to argue the evidence. They aren't investigators or detectives.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ws/case/cases/

While it's hard to prove in many cases that prosecutors, detectives, judges, and their ilk do anything wrong due to the nature of the system (another horribly wrong thing about the US and many justice systems throughout the world), I have rubbed elbows with DAs and judges. They absolutely will make sure evidence is not presented in court if it contradicts their case.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2014-09-04 at 02:08 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

There is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty. It is just what people say is supposed to happen. In the next breath they will claim that a person did not have enough evidence to prove their innocence. Innocent until proven guilty means that they should not have to prove their innocence but rather the accuser should have to prove their guilt. The legal system is beyond fucked.

Ok... I read 2 of those and then realized you are full of it.

Clyde Charles: Doesn't even mention the prosecutor? Based off what I read it was a large DNA-based case and as I stated earlier...DNA has come a long way in 30+ years.
    Earl Washington: The prosecutor was given a confession....where was his wrongdoing?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabblexthree View Post
    There is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty. It is just what people say is supposed to happen. In the next breath they will claim that a person did not have enough evidence to prove their innocence. Innocent until proven guilty means that they should not have to prove their innocence but rather the accuser should have to prove their guilt. The legal system is beyond fucked.
    Convincing a crowd is not proof though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I mean yeah it sucks, but I guess I wouldn't put myself in a position to be around places where this can happen. If you are hanging around with people or places where random murder and such can happen. Well then I guess you kinda deserve to be blamed when shit goes south.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Convincing a crowd is not proof though...
    What does that have to do with what I said? I said they claim one must be proven guilty but in practice they make one prove their innocence.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I mean yeah it sucks, but I guess I wouldn't put myself in a position to be around places where this can happen. If you are hanging around with people or places where random murder and such can happen. Well then I guess you kinda deserve to be blamed when shit goes south.
    So there is now a scale of innocent and really innocent?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    murder can happen anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

What? Where did it say he was hanging around with people that were shady and also...murder....can happen....anywhere.

"The ruling was the latest twist in a notorious case that began with what defense attorneys said were coerced confessions from two scared teenagers with low IQs. McCollum was 19 at the time, and Brown was 15. There was no physical evidence connecting them to the crime."

Confessions being the reason for imprisonment, coerced being the bad wrong bit.
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

What? Where did it say he was hanging around with people that were shady and also...murder....can happen....anywhere.
    Yeah if you live in an overpopulated city where people are desperate or gangs are everywhere. But if you live in Rural areas Murder is very rare. And in most cases there is no doubt of who did it. Wife cheats on husband, husband kills wife and lover, stuff like that. There has been 1 Murder in my area in 27 years and it was easy they found the weapon and evidence along with the confession of the guy that did it in a matter of 2 days.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the major reasons that we have such long waiting periods on the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
    So what's the way to do it better?
    Better police investigations and make dna testing mandatory for cases involving rape, murder etc. It's cheaper to spend $200-1000 for tests than to pay for someone falsely accused incarceration. Don't proceed forward with cases based on circumstantial evidence and jailhouse "snitch" testimony. Actually build real cases rather than just convict the first person that "could've" did it. I'm still baffled why the investigators didn't try to bridge the second similar murder a month later to the other guy they mentioned without name in the article?
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2014-09-04 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Better police investigations and make dna testing mandatory for cases involving rape, murder etc. It's cheaper to spend $200-1000 for tests than to pay for someone falsely accused incarceration. Don't proceed forward with cases based on circumstantial evidence and jailhouse "snitch" testimony. Actually build real cases rather than just convict the first person that "could've" did it. I'm still baffled why the investigators didn't try to bridge the second similar murder a month later to the other guy they mentioned without name in the article?
    You understand this case was 30 years old...right? DNA testing isn't even remotely similar today as it was 3 decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
    So what's the way to do it better?
    We have people in this country who are proud of the ways they get out of jury duty. If we as potential jurors cant take our part seriously, how can we rely on anyone else in the justice system to perform their job seriously and without selfish intent?

I'm sorry but I just can't agree with this at all. A prosecutors job is to get a conviction. They aren't there to do the jobs of a crime scene investigator or a lab tech, they are lawyers. Their job is to convict, not investigate, it shouldn't be held against them if they are given witnesses that say X did Y and that ended up not being true.

How about when even the evidence they're given doesn't support guilt, but they manipulate the system to get a conviction anyway so they have a nice track record?
    A salesperson's job is to sale things. If they don't sale things, they lose their job. A prosecutor's job is to convict people. If they don't convict people they...

The only evidence against these brothers were their coerced confessions which one of them thought he could go home after he finally gave in. Their confessions also implicated two others, who were never charged. If the prosecution were just doing their job and using the evidence presented to them, how come they didn't charge the other two men?

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    We have people in this country who are proud of the ways they get out of jury duty. If we as potential jurors cant take our part seriously, how can we rely on anyone else in the justice system to perform their job seriously and without selfish intent?
    If they seriously want us to take up to a week off of work then we need to be compensated for it. I cannot afford to not work for a week, bills won't get paid and such. So if they want you to basically donate your time for something you couldn't give 2 shit's about then they better cover your lost wages. I for one can never get past the initial screening for jury duty anyway because of my personal beliefs and opinions.

If they seriously want us to take up to a week off of work then we need to be compensated for it. I cannot afford to not work for a week, bills won't get paid and such. So if they want you to basically donate your time for something you couldn't give 2 shit's about then they better cover your lost wages. I for one can never get past the initial screening for jury duty anyway because of my personal beliefs and opinions.
    Walk in. Mention jury nullification. Walk out.

Lots of people get off for crimes they obviously committed as well. OJ anyone.