Deleted

Shadow - During Wrath of the Darkspear

Hello priesties. I was wondering if there was any definitive conclusion on what is best to do during BBoY proc? I play disc/holy mainly and the two shadow priests in my guild gave me differing responses, which in turn differed from some things I read on forums.

Now that I have enough gear to start actually playing shadow sometimes and not be horrific, this is something that I'm very curious about. I know most of the basics about shadow - this is just one specific example that's confusing me a lot. I have two things I attempt to do during BBoY:

1) Refresh DoTs on Proc (Depending on strength of current ones)
    2) Continue to attempt to get any extra orbs from Deathing while doing normal rotation if possible
    3) Refresh VT and SWP to land with 7/8 stacks.
    4) DP on 9 stacks
    5) Insanity on 10 stacks

I'm not sure if this is what I should be doing, or if DP on 10 is more effective? As I said, I heard different advice from the 2 shadow priests in my guild, so I'm a bit confused as to what is best. Any advice would be appreciated on this. I know this is a bit of a silly little thing, but when playing shadow it really bugs me.

edit: My armory is a mess of half shadow gear atm and not accurate, so please ignore for now ^^

Deleted
    http://mfinsanity.blogspot.com/2013/...m-garrosh.html You have every information that you need in that link.

What you're doing is pretty good. I've found it optimal to have DP land at 7 (most optimal) or 8 stacks rather than 9, though. Start refreshing SWP+VT at 5-6, then DP, then insanity (or a mind blast if it's ready and you have 4pc, then insanity). This gives you some time for really strong insanity in addition to pretty strong dots and a very big DP. It's worth making your dots and DP a little smaller for that really strong insanity/MB. Don't forget to recast insanity at 10 stacks, since it snapshots the buff even after DP fades.
    Last edited by Mctriple; 2014-09-04 at 10:49 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for your reply. Question solved

10+ Year Old Account
    Um.. I'm only interested in the title of this thread. Explanation?
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Black Blood of Y'shaarj's buff is called Wrath of the Darkspear. He's asking how to optimally using it as Shadow. Thus, Shadow During Wrath of the Darkspear.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Mctriple View Post
    What you're doing is pretty good. I've found it optimal to have DP land at 7 (most optimal) or 8 stacks rather than 9, though. Start refreshing SWP+VT at 5-6, then DP, then insanity (or a mind blast if it's ready and you have 4pc, then insanity). This gives you some time for really strong insanity in addition to pretty strong dots and a very big DP. It's worth making your dots and DP a little smaller for that really strong insanity/MB. Don't forget to recast insanity at 10 stacks, since it snapshots the buff even after DP fades.
    What is the difference between doing this, and casting dp a bit early and reddoting at 9-10?

Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post
    What is the difference between doing this, and casting dp a bit early and reddoting at 9-10?
    It's all covered in this fantastic blog post: http://mfinsanity.blogspot.ca/2013/1...m-garrosh.html
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post
    Well the difference is that doing what I wrote gives you a stronger insanity/mind blast and ensures that you can recast one last insanity that snapshots the trinket proc at 10, stretching it out longer than normal, but the dots and DP are a little weaker. Overall, this turns out to be better for damage than what you're asking about. That option is explored in my blog post, and it just comes down to numbers and which order of doing things turns out to do more damage.

You guys are oversimplifying the priorities during a BBoY proc. Due to the various interactions between spells, procs and gameplay, there are several things that take precedence over DP, MFI or DoT refreshing, for instance:

- Shouting "Woohoo!!! Bad BoY proc!!!"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! Corrupted prison??? Now??"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! Banishment??? Now???"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! Phase transition??? Now???"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! Mind Control??? Now???"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! 0.1% health and NOW you proc???"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    You guys are oversimplifying the priorities during a BBoY proc. Due to the various interactions between spells, procs and gameplay, there are several things that take precedence over DP, MFI or DoT refreshing, for instance:

- Shouting "Woohoo!!! Bad BoY proc!!!"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! Corrupted prison??? Now??"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! Banishment??? Now???"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! Phase transition??? Now???"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! Mind Control??? Now???"
    - Yelling "Dammit!!! 0.1% health and NOW you proc???"
    These things almost guarantee that when you get procs they'll happen to you lol

Yeah, I remember you talking about those things in another BBoY thread recently. I thought you were just joking before. It still does more damage overall, even if these things happen occasionally. For every time something like that does happen, you get times where it procs perfectly with 3 orbs, back to back with tons of targets to multidot or while you're mind searing a bunch of adds. There's a reason 21 out of the top 25 shadow priests in the west have it equipped in their armory (and perhaps several of those 4 that don't just haven't had luck getting the HWF version of it yet?). It's significantly better than the toxic totem, and using it is part of why we do so much damage.
    Last edited by Mctriple; 2014-09-05 at 01:14 PM.

Oh BBoY is much better, yes. That's why it's so annoying when rngods troll you with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Oh BBoY is much better, yes. That's why it's so annoying when rngods troll you with it.
    Ahh okay. I think I misunderstood you, then. Yes, there are certainly some rage-worthy moments with the trinket, especially given how incredibly potent its proc is. Seeing one go to waste makes me sad. Overall, though, it's the trinket to use if you want maximum dps, have access to it, and are willing to pay a little more attention to use the procs well.

Deleted
    Reminds me of UVLS proccing while the Megaera heads were down before rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleze View Post
    Reminds me of UVLS proccing while the Megaera heads were down before rampage.
    Lei Shen's intermissions. Every time.