Thread: Is Rift dead?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NightGamer View Post
    Knowledge have nothing to do with number of posts
    No, but it does have something to do with how well we can trust that knowledge. Slipmat actively plays the game and streams. I know nothing about this guy with 9 posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Rift does fine, they make enough money from the shop to keep having a profit. The funny thing is they have about 1 10th or even less of the players that wow has. Yet in the same timeframe that wow has released nothing at all contentwise, Rift has released the following:

Patch 2.4 with a Raid, a dungeon, a chronicle, cross shard IA's and pvp rank 90.
    Patch 2.5 with 3 chronicles, a raid, a dungeon, a mini-saga, gifts of the fae (new gamesystem with random lvl 60 dungeons), iron pine peak rehaul, new dimension.
    Patch 2.6 with a new tradeskill, UA sets, bounty system, air saga prelude, dimensions rehaul and more raid preludes.
    Patch 2.7 with 4 new souls (between spec and class say), new questlines, ui rehaul, a few t3 raids and a new warfront
    Patch 2.8 with more prelude quests/raids, new dungeon, rehaul of the pyromancer soul, revamp of the auction house, and multirole actionbars.

Expansion 3.0 is on the brink of being released, and it will be completely free......

All of the above is high quality content (the raids are arguably better than wow's raids) and all of this got released after the soo release, so basically in the same timeframe that Blizzard brought out..... nothing at all. This is while Rift is f2p and releasing a free expansion soon. This is while Blizzard is still charing 15€ a month and charging 40€ for their expansion.
    So in this sense, no Rift is not dead. Actually if you compare the amount of released content, you could easily claim that WoW is dead compared to Rift.
    Yet Wow's track record is way better, Blizz must be doing something right, right?

I have played Rift for about a year and it was quite nice, but eventually lost interest, mostly cause entry level raiding was next to non existent. I was in a guild with people that weren't very good raiders, and that is totally fine, it was a very nice bunch of people. But we couldn't really progress without outside help, and even that was hard.
    I decided to quit. Came back to check out f2p, and was done with it soon after.
    Playing with the opposite faction in warzones, the cash shop that is strictly speaking, not pay to win, but it is pay to have an advantage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raysz View Post
    Blizz must be doing something right, right?

If you're happy to throw a monthly sub at Blizzard for the past year and more until the Expansion for zero content and then pay extra for the said Expansion, then best of luck to you, that takes dedication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    If you're happy to throw a monthly sub at Blizzard for the past year and more until the Expansion for zero content and then pay extra for the said Expansion, then best of luck to you, that takes dedication.
    Yeah, it does take dedication. But I'm not actually doing that. I take breaks. And how is it relevant if I were though?
    Rift is hailed as an awesome mmo by many, yet it has had nowhere the success Wow had.

Well, no one has had the success in the MMO market Blizzard has enjoyed. In almost all regard, World of Warcraft is the exception in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Raysz View Post
    Yeah, it does take dedication. But I'm not actually doing that. I take breaks. And how is it relevant if I were though?
    Rift is hailed as an awesome mmo by many, yet it has had nowhere the success Wow had.
    What game has? WoW is an anomaly in the market that got many many people in to the genre that will likely never play any other MMO. On top of that, being that at the time there was little other good competition on the market, people became very attached to their characters. When someone does leave, their guild/friends do not go with them so they end up going back. There are just so many things that WoW has going for it that are basically a fluke. If Rift and WoW had come out at the same time where would Rift be?

If Rift and WoW had come out at the same time where would Rift be?
    Likely Rift would either not be operational anymore or would be published by a company not named Trion.

There was a lot of good competition to World of Warcraft when it released. Most games were more sophisticated in gameplay than WoW too.

WoW was and is, accessible and fast. That was and still is the trump card of World of Warcraft; lots of people can understand how to play it very quickly and the gameplay is immediate in it's revelation. Vis-a-vis, Everquest/Ashreon's Call/Anarchy Online/et cetera.

The idea is faulty inherently though. World of Warcraft is the first 2nd era MMO- it is the genre watershed in terms of how MMOs are both designed and marketed. Rift is also a 2nd era MMO. We can not have had Rift, The Old Republic, Aion, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, et cetera without World of Warcraft.

The language to talk about MMOs of the 2nd era doesn't even exist before World of Warcraft.

And by extension we could not have 3rd wave MMOs with a design emphasis contra to many 2nd era MMOs in play mechanisms.

I have a very sensitive nose for dead games and Rift is very much alive. This endless ___ vs WoW argument is a waste of pixels.

If you find leveling 50-60 too slow, do this. Starting at 48 (not 50 unless you're already there), get ports to BOTH Dusken and Brevane (the NPC will happily send you to both), and alternate the two continents doing ONLY the Story quests. If you pick up a few Carnages on the way, fine, but dont waste your day on them - rush them with shard hopping and move on. Do the TB craft dailies for as many professions as you've maxed. And if you buy one XP pot in your life, use it now. You can come back and smell the roses later.

Still experimenting...

I support Rift too but your posts have been very annoying for awhile.

Rift doesnt do anything different than WoW does and the whole "fast content" is pure bullshit.

I played Rift for 16 months, never once i felt they were giving out content patches fast enough and no,i am not saying "I played Rift roaming around and pretending i play a game" i raided and farmed stuff when they were important until the game wasnt live enough to recruit people geared for ID without having to go back to HK for weeks and it simply wasnt worth it.

Their whole "fast content" is usually bullshit that can be completed in a matter of hours.

Ember Isle back then and chronicles? 5 hours content, then Infernal Dawn 9 months after HK and so on.

Then they did what at Storm Legion? Couple of raids and rehashed the old ones with a few new abilities.

Rift isnt doing anything special, the content it gives out can only be called content if you play once per month, then you will need 5 months to finish them sure.

Every thing else is done in a matter of hours from any proper veteran MMO player.

I like Rift, i hope it does great, its an awesome game but you are an annoying fanboy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

Rift doesnt do anything different than WoW does and the whole "fast content" is pure bullshit
    I'll type this slowly, now read along....apart from giving us content for the past 14 months while Blizzard gave paying subscribers nothing? right... 'doesn't do anything different'

I'm well aware of what type of Forum I'm posting on so I'm not going to "debate" this any further

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll type this slowly, now read along....apart from giving us content for the past 14 months while Blizzard gave paying subscribers nothing? right... 'doesn't do anything different'

I'm well aware of what type of Forum I'm posting on so I'm not going to "debate" this any further
    By that logic plenty of games are doing perfectly fine, ESO is doing better than any other game on the market in fact.... sadly that is not the case thanks to fucking beta testing Joe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Well, to be fair- content is content regardless of how long it may take some players to complete the content. Length to completion is really not standardized or quantifiable as a measure of quality or enjoyment.

So, no. Content is indeed content.

Though I do agree the "Go ahead and pay Blizzard for no content!" argument is a bit silly and unneeded. Even if I do agree Blizzard's content drought between the Warlord of Drainor expansion to be shameful.

It's just not useful thing to mention because if one is enjoying World of Warcraft, which has a ton of content, than it doesn't matter to the player as they are paying for exactly the content they want to play.

The comparison seems rooted in consumer bitterness and pettiness.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-10-03 at 03:47 PM.

I think that mentioning, asking, claiming or wishing that games were "dead" should be punished with public whipping.

I support Rift too but your posts have been very annoying for awhile.

Rift doesnt do anything different than WoW does and the whole "fast content" is pure bullshit.

I played Rift for 16 months, never once i felt they were giving out content patches fast enough and no,i am not saying "I played Rift roaming around and pretending i play a game" i raided and farmed stuff when they were important until the game wasnt live enough to recruit people geared for ID without having to go back to HK for weeks and it simply wasnt worth it.

Their whole "fast content" is usually bullshit that can be completed in a matter of hours.

Ember Isle back then and chronicles? 5 hours content, then Infernal Dawn 9 months after HK and so on.

Then they did what at Storm Legion? Couple of raids and rehashed the old ones with a few new abilities.

Rift isnt doing anything special, the content it gives out can only be called content if you play once per month, then you will need 5 months to finish them sure.

Every thing else is done in a matter of hours from any proper veteran MMO player.

I like Rift, i hope it does great, its an awesome game but you are an annoying fanboy.
    By "veteran MMO player" you mean newbie MMO player who devours content in a few hours rather than taking the time to properly explore it.

If you think the ID patch was 5 hours worth of content you are either trolling or not playing MMO's the way they should be played.

Why hasn't this thread been locked? Its trollbait.

Who and what defines, "taking the time to properly explore" content?

Seems kind of a weak argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    By "veteran MMO player" you mean newbie MMO player who devours content in a few hours rather than taking the time to properly explore it.

If you think the ID patch was 5 hours worth of content you are either trolling or not playing MMO's the way they should be played.

Why hasn't this thread been locked? Its trollbait.
    Do tell me what the ID patch had apart from fishing as "content" and the EI instant adventures, not talking about the raid itself cause you obviously didnt understand me.

And calling me a noob because i dont care for useless stuff like artifacts? Wat.

Rift is a western MMO which means ITEM CHASING GAMEPLAY AKA RAIDS.

If no raids are added the game they didnt add actual content, simple fact.

Chronicles as example, oh dear god the massive waste of time.

Adding something that can be completed by anyone with a brain and how to play productively in less than a couple of hours its not -content-.

Ever since WoW TBC no game has produced content properly, and dont give me the Rift bullshit that they release already made things 2 months after release/expansion release thats already done stuff, they just delay them the same way companies sell extra stuff as DLC.

And oh when they actually release the content they are all 100% broken requiring about a month to be patched until they are not broken again.

Hammerknell? Broken completely... ID? 2 months and the crystal dude that i dont remember right now, Right after the first boss, was still broken when i quit the game.

And as i have been talking with some old guildies as how they game was since they were still playing and if i am not mistaken still were part of the best guild in Europe and quit because Wildstar had more challenge and Rift raids were as always buggy and slow releasing?

Everyone should know Byona and Jiggy considering Byona is a big mouthed player.

As i said, i really like Rift, i hope it does great cause its a good game and deserves to do good, better than any competitor like SWTOR but take off the rose tinted glasses already, its been 3 years.
    Last edited by potis; 2014-10-07 at 08:06 PM.

Deleted
    It's as dead as all f2p MMOs. Shocking, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Voisier View Post
    Was it ever alive?
    I lol'd.

But no Rift is actually pretty alive and stable. The F2P model helped it a lot.

I played Rift not long after it first released, it was pretty fun (if a bit whacky with all the 1 button macros) but I got bored some time during the 30-40 level range. I just wasn't enjoying leveling up with it. It would be even worse for me these days as I find it extremely painful to level up in new MMO's, same thing happened in WildStar, I had the guest pass and took it to 20 and just never logged in again.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Do tell me what the ID patch had apart from fishing as "content" and the EI instant adventures, not talking about the raid itself cause you obviously didnt understand me.

And calling me a noob because i dont care for useless stuff like artifacts? Wat.

Rift is a western MMO which means ITEM CHASING GAMEPLAY AKA RAIDS.

If no raids are added the game they didnt add actual content, simple fact.

Chronicles as example, oh dear god the massive waste of time.

Adding something that can be completed by anyone with a brain and how to play productively in less than a couple of hours its not -content-.

Ever since WoW TBC no game has produced content properly, and dont give me the Rift bullshit that they release already made things 2 months after release/expansion release thats already done stuff, they just delay them the same way companies sell extra stuff as DLC.

And oh when they actually release the content they are all 100% broken requiring about a month to be patched until they are not broken again.

Hammerknell? Broken completely... ID? 2 months and the crystal dude that i dont remember right now, Right after the first boss, was still broken when i quit the game.

And as i have been talking with some old guildies as how they game was since they were still playing and if i am not mistaken still were part of the best guild in Europe and quit because Wildstar had more challenge and Rift raids were as always buggy and slow releasing?

Everyone should know Byona and Jiggy considering Byona is a big mouthed player.

As i said, i really like Rift, i hope it does great cause its a good game and deserves to do good, better than any competitor like SWTOR but take off the rose tinted glasses already, its been 3 years.
    Actually I believe a lot of guilds left over the world first Maelforge incident when it became clear Trion was supporting one guild over all the others. A ton of guilds cheated in ID with the bugs.

Rusila could basically be killed and farmed on repeat for the first couple of weeks after the earth wing was released. Also the means of only allowing a handful of guilds to test the raid mechanics bit them in the ass. They were the ones racing for world first and were essentially looking for exploits and not bugs.

Let's not forget icewatch (EU) realm at the time of ID towards the end of Endless Eclipse at times was unplayable with upto 5 second skill lag

Essentially though there are ways WoW could learn from. Rifts, zone events, the world bosses. Hell some of the boss mechanics were pretty well done, I'd rate a fixed hammerknell raid one of my favourite raids in MMO. Akylios was a good end of raid boss, one which kept you on edge from start to finish pre nerf. Maelforge added some simple yet fun mechanics that change the generic dragon mechanics. Also specs that are solely for buffs/debuffs? Yes please.