Thread: Is Rift dead?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagle View Post
    Same, well I have playing long. Though I visit on and off in Azeroth too. Now I wondering should I try Telara too. Is there people playing? Is PvE gameplay good, I like to play somekind of healer types ?
    Sorry for the late answer; for this kind of questions you really should visit the official forums or the subreddit of rift.
    But yes, people are playing Rift (can only speak for EU shards). You can do shard-hopping every time and do events etc there.
    You can also transfer to another shard (server) for free every week.

Every class has one heal specc (only cleric has 3, iirc).
    Rogues and Warriors can heal, too, but you need the Dream Souls from the shop.
    Mages and clerics have heal souls since the beginning of rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Wryn View Post
    But yes, people are playing Rift (can only speak for EU shards). You can do shard-hopping every time and do events etc there.
    While I'm not actively playing as much, can this is the case for NA servers as well. Fewer while leveling (they level through instant adventures, primarily nowadays), but at high/max level there's plenty of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Does 3.4 include new raid content?
    3.5 will be the new raid. 3.4 is the massive new zone, new class (with all the new souls that entails) and a new pvp map (all new area map and all new map TYPE). Thats what we know so far, there are rumors of another intrepid IA in the works but not sure if that will make this patch. This will probably be one of the largest and most ambitious patches Trion ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    3.5 will be the new raid. 3.4 is the massive new zone, new class (with all the new souls that entails) and a new pvp map (all new area map and all new map TYPE). Thats what we know so far, there are rumors of another intrepid IA in the works but not sure if that will make this patch. This will probably be one of the largest and most ambitious patches Trion ever did.
    Wait, new class is confirmed for 3.4? >.>

Guess I'd better work on stocking up some REX in preparation then.

And didn't know that the new zone was confirmed either, cool.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post

The players were asked a few months ago would they like to see any raids upgraded for level 65, guess what the majority of votes were for? Hammerknell for the 20-man and Gilded Prophecy for the 10-man, funny old World when players get what they asked for from the Devs.
    This is very misleading.

T2 of Nightmare Tide was intended to be the Lord Arak raid, but was delayed due to not meeting deadlines. The devs were ordered to give us something as a filler, and Hammerknell Fortress was the only rehash that made sense to them. So when a question is phrased similar to "If we were to relaunch a raid, which one would you prefer," it's hard not to answer Hammerknell. However, please don't make it seem like raiders were begging for rehashed content over new villains.

In the end, this raid and the Gilded Prophecy rehash took precious months away from actually working on the new raids. Please show me the raiders who wanted this outcome. They do not exist anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Please show me the raiders who wanted this outcome. They do not exist anywhere.
    I'd show you but most of them got perma-banned from Rift for exploiting and the ducks that escaped getting banned from the game are banned from the Forum

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd show you but most of them got perma-banned from Rift for exploiting and the ducks that escaped getting banned from the game are banned from the Forum
    ??????????????????

So, no example? Gotcha.

Funny,many of those who exploited just had to say "sorry i fucked up" in a pretty sordid public display,got away with a slap on the wrist and are still happily chugging along.

And these are the people Trion listens to...

15+ Year Old Account
    I can never return because they destroyed my flamethrower spec!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I can never return because they destroyed my flamethrower spec!!!
    They destroyed me with the rep grinding 0.o
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    So thinking of rejoining RIFT myself, I played a lot during vanilla and quit at the start of the first expansion due to leveling being such a pain past 50.

I hear there's some remedy for that, can anyone give me a good decent reason to come back to rift as a....erm...'rogue'? (It's been so long I can't remember my class' name, I think it was rogue but I have no clue).

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    So thinking of rejoining RIFT myself, I played a lot during vanilla and quit at the start of the first expansion due to leveling being such a pain past 50.

I hear there's some remedy for that, can anyone give me a good decent reason to come back to rift as a....erm...'rogue'? (It's been so long I can't remember my class' name, I think it was rogue but I have no clue).
    Rift is free and ALL content is accessible freely without external restrictions. Download and try it out, just like every other F2P game on the market.

I think Rift appeals to those that want a 2nd era style MMORPG (World of Warcraft-like) but do not want the cartoon-y presentation of WoW, The Old Republic or Everquest 2. Rift is a darker theme than those games with some sci-fi elements.

Nowadays when deciding on a MMO to pick up one is effectively choosing gameplay style and theme. Pick whichever suits your fancy best.

Been a while since ive played. I always used to sub. Whats the point of subbing besides the perks that you have limited use of? I know you dont get points to use in the store like other games offer for subs. If i started back up as a ftp, what limitations would I have?

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Whats the point of subbing besides the perks that you have limited use of?
    The perks and the loyalty points thing. They're pretty nice, but far from necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    If i started back up as a ftp, what limitations would I have?
    Very few if you are using an account that has the base game from launch/spent any money on it. Pretty much just new souls (Storm Legion/Nightmare Tide soul packs, depending on if you purchased Storm Legion or not) and some of the gear slots from Nightmare Tide (earrings and Planewalker water attunement needed for some NT gear). All of that stuff can be purchased using REX (tradable cash shop currency, basically) purchased in-game with plat if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The perks and the loyalty points thing. They're pretty nice, but far from necessary.

Very few if you are using an account that has the base game from launch/spent any money on it. Pretty much just new souls (Storm Legion/Nightmare Tide soul packs, depending on if you purchased Storm Legion or not) and some of the gear slots from Nightmare Tide (earrings and Planewalker water attunement needed for some NT gear). All of that stuff can be purchased using REX (tradable cash shop currency, basically) purchased in-game with plat if you want.
    Yeah I have two accounts and one is an early access account with storm legion active. I used tactition in some of my solo/farm souls often. Rifts fun but I get to tempted to buy those stones to upgrade my gear lol.

I tried to come back to Rift a few years ago, but when I asked a question to the zone I was given a shitheaded answer. Rift was awesome when it launched, but I can't really vouch for it now. The 2.0 xpac was too grindy too IMO. Honestly, if Rift had launched in place of WoW in 2004, it would have been the premiere MMO of our time, it was that good back in the day. Completely polished at launch and the skill customization was incredible, probably still is.

Ripperinos sub based Rift (and LOTRO)
    Final Fantasy XIV info= Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table
    WoW info= Gareth- Uldum Horde

Still patiently awaiting a native Mac client. Rift IMO has the most unique class system ever but I decide since it's not my main game it's not worth the hassle of a bootcamp partition just for that.

Horde

The leveling process from 50-60 was steep, but as it should have been. I have been quite active in WoD and leveling from 90-100 took maybe 7-10 hours ? I was max level before finishing Gorgrond. In SL, I was able to enjoy all the continents with dinging usually only once per zone. Upon leveling my second toon, it was a lot quicker as I knew when to move to a new zone and what quests to do. More so with NT, I do not remember enjoying a leveling process more than 60-65. The zones are beautiful and exciting with great stories. Felt way less grindy than it did when I leveled my WoW toon.

As for the raids, I used to raid in a top 3 NA guild, currently still actively on top (Trinity) and the raids are superior in every facet to WoW (I raided Vanilla to Lich and then WoD, sorry if this offends the raids inbetween). As I currently raid in WoD, the raids are pretty lack luster. Highmaul and blackrock especially (exceptionally boring), with HFC having a memorable fight or two (Xhul and archi are fun to watch the baddies). But what stands out the most is that everything is so "chunky" that a lot of the time it is super hard to know whats going on besides the usual "don't stand in fire" and mobs die so quick that everything is just tank and face-roll til it's dead.

I Raided Rift from vanilla to Endless Eclipse, though I leveled to 65 on my main, I never raided NT. The raids from GSB to HK were all very fun, challenging but fine tuned, and just great fights with a nice variety of mechanics. Likewise with FT and EE. My most memorable mobs were Silas, Sicaron, Moli&dol, Hylas, infiltrator(so many curses on those wisps) Matriarch and of course Reggie himself but nothing felt as good as downing Akylios for the first time. THAT was a proper end-game, raid end boss.

Overall, having been on both sides, I would choose rift over WoW. I think I will be stopping my sub this month and going back to Rift for the upcoming patch.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. If yours is different, I respect that.

Rift is a complete mmo, but unfortunately failed to attract many players.

I played for a while, but the lack of player desmotivou me a lot - mainly by walking on giant maps and completely empty.

Rift was fine up the first few months people wise.

They just did the 2 major mistakes every new MMO does:

1)They didnt follow the market, the evolution, sadly they didnt follow the "WoW" trend but listened to whatever and remained to their stupid thinking, same mistake Wildstar did.

2)Rushed content to prove their words and ended up backfiring cause bugs. Bugs that after 2.5 months they werent fixed.

This basically happened at Hammerknell patch and 2 months after with their 10man that i dont even remember the name right now and then a month or so after the island released, so many people on and suddenly, dead! around 10 days after when even the last casual ate the content and SWTOR was 20 days away from launching.

The major problem Rift had for me and made me quit it eventually..

The idiotic devs forgot the important thing :

It is not 2006, you do not have 8mil+ subscribers and you made a western RPG, which its main content is raiding!

Yet you didnt learn from WoW to not gate raiding with something stupid (Hit rating) which basically meant one thing..Forcing players to run old useless content instead of new refreshing stuff because people quit left and right and there werent any to replace them.

Rift whether people like it or not is a western genre MMO which means one thing, you play to raid to gear to raid the next tier, thats the ultimate goal.

They can add whatever they want, minions, artifacts, pet battles, arenas, pvp and whatever else call the game however they want, WoW/Rift/SWTOR/WHATEVER NAME, the western MMO as a genre is "Reach max Level-->Dungeons-->Raid", that will never change despite what you are doing before and after those 3 main things.

But they tried to TBC approach, which people "yearned for" but they forgot, forums are always less than what..2% of the player base? Sure, the TBC approach was fresh after so many years, for the first tier..The first tier should require some farming etc..

But gating the second tier with a stupid mechanic (Hit rating) combined with bugs that you dont fix for months, only to add something that the casual can eat up in 10 days..BAM, dead game.

Same shit happened at Wildstar, heavy gating cause forums wanted it, "dead" faster than Rift.

SWTOR failed the opposite way, they went full on derp mode and made everything too accessible, died as fast.

There needs to be a good balance of "fresh" combined with "Farming" that leads to Raiding, the end game of western MMOs, but when you make it stupidly long (Wildstar) or make the end game stupidly easy (SWTOR) then you get failure.

Rift for me was an amazing game, played it for 14 months and had awesome fun, Akylios is one of the best fights i ever did, Infernal Dawn had some awesome fights too but the lack of players simply meant that guilds were dying slowly cause there werent replacements,and you couldnt just "just give him a support role (Bard/Chloro etc)" cause GATING.

So many more things i can type as to why the game failed in some aspects..End reason is simply the same as Wildstar.

Outdated thinking in some aspects that WoW actually got right.. i am not asking for LFR,dear god no..

But there is a reason the game had hit rating at a standard % since 2004 and you didnt care if you had someone doing less DPS, you could put them into doing something till they get some gear..OH LOOK YOUR CHRLOROMANCER IS MISSING THE BOSS, CANT HEAL. Thanks Trion.
    Last edited by potis; 2015-09-10 at 02:01 AM.