Thread: Is Rift dead?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Rift was amazing at release. I quit my WoW career I had back then after 2 years to start Rift in 2011. Now it is all just '' Return to xxxxx ''. I mean how lazy can you be? Same raid but just higher level. Not worth my attention.

But What makes me not play it the most is the FPS. sitting on a 800 euro monitor, 144hz and other goodies and getting 144 fps in WoW whilst in Rift I can't even beat 60 fps in raid environment. a big nope for me unfortunately .

the only real issue i have with rift is the performance but i still throw the odd patron and binge on it for a month or so. using g2a has saved me a little on some things, picked up 2 typhoons a while back for the price of 1, and only the other day did i see that they have patron codes going for half price, 30 days for £5 codes and even 90 days for like £10 for that price i can't complain heck the game is fun even if you aren't subbed, sure is nice to have the bonuses but its not costing you anything to go without..

its just annoying that no matter what you do the game will use 50% of your cpu cores and 50% of your gpu, it uses less resources the more ppl appear on screen, it'll use 70-90% gpu when its just you standing there.

then you have pvp which is so hit and miss, premade conquests, terribly balanced WFs, although at least its not like doing those 30 min wsg's those used to drive me insane.

looks like it slowly getting better, i'm just holding out for some perf passes, the game should run much better than it does.

i personally don't mind the hit gating, there needs to be some sort of gating otherwise, its all trivial. no effort =/= meaningless reward. i'm catching up on the weapon quest atm, taking the chilled approach, not playing to raid. i get enough raid action healing cq wfs or nmrs. I might try make a push to do 10s but i'm not that interested in the whole commitment thing.

EU is quiet at night/early morning, i can sometimes get NTE's at off peak times. but since all the servers are linked, it is possible to get a group doing something at most times its like 4 am when i'm writing this and its very quiet but by 6-7am it'll liven up again for the day. I usually just farm or do nmrs at this time, if i server hop i can usually stumble on a bunch of ppl doing rifts in Tarken.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-09-28 at 10:40 AM.

I don't know where to ask, or if it's right place to ask but
    is there any good and working Rift DB site?
    like wowhead for WoW

http://www.rifthead.com/

But I'm not sure how up to date it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    http://www.rifthead.com/

But I'm not sure how up to date it is.
    Magelo is the new rifthead.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voisier View Post
    Was it ever alive?
    Um.

Very much so...

And last, but certainly not least... back when Conquest 3 faction PVP was brand spanking new:

These three videos should have more than enough proof that Rift has at least been VERY alive before, if not still. SO many people around me having fun doing events. They are all from late Vanilla Rift/early Storm Legion.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    hmm. how is rift today? are there many guilds to choose if you want to pve for example? queues for dungeons etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    hmm. how is rift today? are there many guilds to choose if you want to pve for example? queues for dungeons etc?
    It about the same as it was a year ago.

Rift is a game that will likely always hover around the same niche community and player populace for years and years. I.E. Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan, Everquest 2, etc. Very little will likely change with regards to playership till the end of product support.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Um.

Very much so...

And last, but certainly not least... back when Conquest 3 faction PVP was brand spanking new:

These three videos should have more than enough proof that Rift has at least been VERY alive before, if not still. SO many people around me having fun doing events. They are all from late Vanilla Rift/early Storm Legion.
    The funny thing about the large zone event example is that they tried this in 3.0 but their servers couldn't handle all of the players hopping onto one shard. These events have been disabled for a year now, wasting not only the time of the developers but much potential for some decent between-raid content.

3.0 is just an atrocious expansion compared to Storm Legion. In fact, you needn't look any further than the leveling experience from 60-65 vs 50-60. The landmass introduced in Storm Legion was absolutely massive, with tons of quests and unique areas to explore. What did we get in 3.0? A much smaller landmass, less quests, leveling which can be bypassed with XP potions, and horrible framerates throughout the open world and the Draumheim capital city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    The funny thing about the large zone event example is that they tried this in 3.0 but their servers couldn't handle all of the players hopping onto one shard. These events have been disabled for a year now, wasting not only the time of the developers but much potential for some decent between-raid content.

3.0 is just an atrocious expansion compared to Storm Legion. In fact, you needn't look any further than the leveling experience from 60-65 vs 50-60. The landmass introduced in Storm Legion was absolutely massive, with tons of quests and unique areas to explore. What did we get in 3.0? A much smaller landmass, less quests, leveling which can be bypassed with XP potions, and horrible framerates throughout the open world and the Draumheim capital city.
    I popped in with the bf a while back and checked out a bit of the newer content, but I found myself kind of annoyed by getting gear I couldn't even use because I didn't have the appropriate unlock (and I didn't have the planarite to bypass it). Also, even with an updated grahpics card, my computer hates the damn engine. ._.

idk, it was a lot of fun when I started out, but by the time I got into Storm Legion, it seemed like a huge investment to get to do anything group-related, and that rather turned me off from the game.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I popped in with the bf a while back and checked out a bit of the newer content, but I found myself kind of annoyed by getting gear I couldn't even use because I didn't have the appropriate unlock (and I didn't have the planarite to bypass it). Also, even with an updated grahpics card, my computer hates the damn engine. ._.

idk, it was a lot of fun when I started out, but by the time I got into Storm Legion, it seemed like a huge investment to get to do anything group-related, and that rather turned me off from the game.
    Engine is still shit and still locked (except for cloaks) to a single core. It runs terribly unless you have a high clock speed on your CPU, that's where the bottleneck is going to be.

As for the unlock, yeah. Purchasing the cheaper ($20 or so) Nightmare Tide bundle thing unlocks the earring slots and waterwalking or whatever it is you need for some of the gear, or you can save enough plat to buy REX in-game to unlock it with credits. That or when you hit 65 grind for months to unlock it all with Void Stones. Still not a fan of what they did with that at all, but such as it is.

interesting watch

I have not played Rift is quite a bit to be honest.

In my opinion, I think Storm Legion was a commercial flop for Trion. They poured a lot of money into that expansion and it was obvious from the marketing that Trion had some pretty high hopes for the expansion. SL was a good expansion, IMO, but it was clearly not the revitalizing force they expected and likely needed.

After SL, the money and time to develop content was noticeably lacking from previous years.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-01-02 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    interesting watch

Oriya's vid

The "Streisand effect" comes to mind when watching this whole drama unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    interesting watch
    Permanently banned for criticism? Blackmailed into removing Youtube videos and pictures on Twitch? The forum bans I can believe, but the rest if it is true, then its almost certainly not the whole story. I've openly admitted to selling Plat for RL cash to Trion employee's without so much as a slap on the wrists so I find it hard to imagine them singling this guy out for what he's saying about them in unoffical channels.

Hmmm, saw a forum post from Ocho about that video so my curiosity is piqued. I generally don't care about those long winded ragey "I QUIT!" videos (Dunkey's LoL quitting video being a fine example of a giant, entitled whine) so I was going to avoid this one too, but oh well.

Nazi comparison, fantastic way to start. Seriously, comparing just about anything to Nazi's is a great way to make you look like an overreacting idiot - especially a company that makes bloody videogames.

Agreed on the increased grind, it's obnoxious.

As for the raiding, can't say anything, don't raid really.

Can't speak to the forums either, but I know Ocho is not too popular and I know Trions CM team in general has gone way downhill over the years. It's never been the same since they canned Elrar : ( But for reals, the Nazi comparisons are hilarious. And "free speech!" brought up despite you having absolutely no right to free speech in privately owned forums.

Agreed on the Jinoscoth bit, that's 100% a dev fail as it doesn't appear to be an obvious exploit (insert the old Daglar advice malard).

I'm usually very skeptical of claims about getting banned in-game for stuff out of game (his comments about getting banned for criticizing the dev on skype), because more often than not it ends up that yeah, the person was banned for legit reasons. Also, the email he includes shows a 24 hour ban, not a week long ban. Also he claims it took months to get a response, but the date on the email he linked is the same day of the forum post from the dev.

He claims a two week ban but shows a message of a 3 day ban. Also, regardless of who is/isn't getting in trouble for an exploit, it's never a good idea to stream an exploit. That's one of the surest ways to get the devs attention and make sure they're not happy. As for him being banned for longer, it's common to get longer bans if you have a history of getting banned. Kinda like how infractions work here, the more infraction points you accumulate the longer your bans are should you accumulate more.

He said he was spamming CS to find out more about his ban and apparently heard back that his ban was extended to 7 days (not two weeks, like he initially said, again) and that it was from the dev team and not CS. He provides zero evidence to support that the specific dev was behind the ban (lol fat nazi walrus), nor any evidence of the apparent "blackmail".

Contacting his lawyer, fucking lol. For what? What would he take them to court on?

Damn, that really was just a giant whine. I want those 15 minutes of my life back -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    I just came back a few days ago as I'm bored literally to tears with the current crop of MMOs and I've been surprised to see it's actually still pretty decently populated at all levels. Most gripes here hit the mark--I can play WoW on near Ultra, but I can barely get to Medium on Rift without staggering loss of FPS. Rift has the most robust and borderline insane game store store I've ever seen. I bought the latest expansion on sale and started questing with the free level 60 boost and it's been pretty entertaining. The leveling is incredibly slow. I put in 5 hours tonight of serious quest grinding and got 52% into 60. I see why experience pots are so popular now. I know the game is compared to WoW most--for obvious reasons, but Rift feels and plays much more like EverQuest 2 than WoW. It's a good game for wasting time while looking for a better game.

Deleted
    i played Rift at the very start and stuck at it for about lvl 20 , then i just thought to myself i cant start to play 2 mmo type games so WoW won the battle easly . Then out came SWTOR , and again i played it and again i quit it , at least now both these games are free to play so i drop into star wars now and again , but now i dont even have rift installed on my pc , is it worth coming back to ? probably not IMO.

7+ Year Old Account
    edit: nvm. decided to post a fresh thread

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I played Rift for a little bit, then got really fed up with it as well as some of the players that I encountered while leveling... So, I quit and never went back.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!