Question Question: i want to switch to a plan but keep the same number

Hey, guys. I got an important question.

Over the years, I used AT&T as my cell phone provider and was under the plan of my mothers. In other words, she paid for her cell phone and my cell phone under the same bill and service plan. When she died of cancer earlier this year, AT&T decided to invoke some idiotic law that allows them to turn off me and my mothers cell phone if they were to find out one of their customers died in any way, in total disregards of the possibility of somebody taking over the account. My older sister (who is now my legal guardian) tried to switch the account under my name so I could keep my old phone but pay the bills myself. But AT&T kept giving her a hard time and I therefor had to accept the fact that my old phone (which was the coolest phone I've seen in a long time) has to be turned off and I would have to by a new phone.

1-2 months later, I brought myself a new phone which was as slightly cooler as my old phone but have to by minutes. I activated it really well. The problem is that I am sick and tired of wasting money on minutes when I could be on my older brothers plan (my older brother is my co-signer of my bank account). The other problem is that he most likely doesn't use T-Mobile as his provider and I already have two friends and one other non-related adult on my contacts that I don't want to have to call and give them a new number. In other words, I want to switch to my brother's plan, presumably switch to another provider, but keep the same number i have so i won't have to call up my friends and give them my new number.

and by the way; Google is not always helpful, and Yahoo! answers is dead.

Deleted
    Call the provider you want to sign and talk to them. I am pretty sure they can handle it for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    to save your current number ensure it is not deactivated (satisfy all of your current bill) when starting the new account . the number switch will be the deactivation process. its easy and instant and mostly hassle free if you make sure your bill is paid off, and your phone works, then let the new carrier start the switch over process.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that you own your phone number as long as it's still in service due to some Communications bill passed years back. Call the new provider you wish to switch to and they should be able to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
    Hey, guys. I got an important question.

Over the years, I used AT&T as my cell phone provider and was under the plan of my mothers. In other words, she paid for her cell phone and my cell phone under the same bill and service plan. When she died of cancer earlier this year, AT&T decided to invoke some idiotic law that allows them to turn off me and my mothers cell phone if they were to find out one of their customers died in any way, in total disregards of the possibility of somebody taking over the account. My older sister (who is now my legal guardian) tried to switch the account under my name so I could keep my old phone but pay the bills myself. But AT&T kept giving her a hard time and I therefor had to accept the fact that my old phone (which was the coolest phone I've seen in a long time) has to be turned off and I would have to by a new phone.

1-2 months later, I brought myself a new phone which was as slightly cooler as my old phone but have to by minutes. I activated it really well. The problem is that I am sick and tired of wasting money on minutes when I could be on my older brothers plan (my older brother is my co-signer of my bank account). The other problem is that he most likely doesn't use T-Mobile as his provider and I already have two friends and one other non-related adult on my contacts that I don't want to have to call and give them a new number. In other words, I want to switch to my brother's plan, presumably switch to another provider, but keep the same number i have so i won't have to call up my friends and give them my new number.

and by the way; Google is not always helpful, and Yahoo! answers is dead.

Number portability applies to prepaid phones as well. Number transfers are conducted by the new carrier, so in this case, your brothers carrier. All he has to do is tell verizon (online, by phone, in a store) that he wants to add your number to his account and they will help you out, with few small hoops.

I switched from Tmobile to verizon. I did have to call tmobile for a secret pin so verizon could have the number (my number). It took about 5 minutes. They will try to get you to stay, so tell them you want the pin first, and then you will let them talk about getting you to stay. When they give you the pin, hang up.

Deleted
    Call your provider, making threas here is useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaktok View Post
    Call your provider, making threas here is useless.
    ....or just trow away phone and try to live without it .
    It would probaly be good for your mental health at least.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    ....or just trow away phone and try to live without it .
    It would probaly be good for your mental health at least.
    Why would i do that?