Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movie] The Sacrament (2013)

im a big fan of found footage movies. The Blair Witch Project being the best of them. so i found this indie pic and checked out the trailer on imdb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2383068/?ref_=nv_sr_1

at first i said to myself, "im watching a biopic on Jonestown?"

but theres no mention of it or anything, and its obviously the motivation for this film. reviews say its done well but at no point do they ever mention its influence or anything.

it would be like me making a movie about two loner kids shooting up a school in a small town in Colorado in 1999 and not mention that it could have been influenced by a major world event... quite possibly the most unoriginal idea ever and a total turn off. what do others think?
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

I feel that The Sacrament made no secret of the inspiration, and reviews certainly mention it. I've never seen the movie and I know it's a fictionalized Jonestown. In the Hollywood Reporter's review it's mentioned in both the headline and opening paragraph.

10+ Year Old Account
    that what i thought the goofy part was. reviews mention its inspired by the event but Ti West or Eli Roth never mention it at all. and it really takes away from the suspense when you know whats going to happen lol

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    that what i thought the goofy part was. reviews mention its inspired by the event but Ti West or Eli Roth never mention it at all. and it really takes away from the suspense when you know whats going to happen lol
    That seems like a good reason not to mention it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    That seems like a good reason not to mention it.
    icwutudidther, good point.