Poll: Would this be a good wow fix?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well they could probably make the autocomplete better so that it dropped down a list of potentials. Wouldn't be a lot.
    Well the current autocomplete is trash. I almost mailed a 30k gold worth mount to some random person because of it once.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    An even better solution would be to use people's battle.net name as the unique identifier just like Diablo 3 and just not show the battle.net name over your char. Such technologies would probably cost us a raid tier and a faction city to implement however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    An even better solution would be to use people's battle.net name as the unique identifier just like Diablo 3 and just not show the battle.net name over your char. Such technologies would probably cost us a raid tier and a faction city to implement however.
    Maybe in a new game.

Well they could probably make the autocomplete better so that it dropped down a list of potentials. Wouldn't be a lot.
    I guess they could just use dropdown menus with a filter for each part of the "name". So it'd be [Mormolyce](normal autocomplete) - [Human](dropdown of all races) - [Priest](dropdown of all classes) - [Cho'gall](filterable dropdown for servers), with each bracketed part being a seperate box.
    I still don't think allowing duplicate names is necessary in any way, though.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2014-09-05 at 11:32 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Well the current autocomplete is trash. I almost mailed a 30k gold worth mount to some random person because of it once.
    Tell me about it

At least guildies and alts seem to sort to the top of the list now. Sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

They just need to implement the battletag as a hidden surname, giving you freedom to name what you want. They could also implement the hidden count as they have for battletags (Goelscream #4851). Hovering over the player/health frame would give you their # in the tooltip. I think the chances are quite rare outside trolling, that you'd find multiple Nerzulkins the same race, features, gear, etc. in your group, especially from the same server.

I can understand why they have the restrictions, but they do get annoying if a name you love to use, and say maybe one you've used in single player games for decades, is always taken, even if you get in early release and try to reserve it.

If a name is inactive for a while, say 6-12 mos+, GMs can free up the name so you can get it. Tickets do get made about this all the time, and finding a way to allow people to create the name they want would definitely reduce their load to some amount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Eh, just let us have a surname would be an easier fix, I think, and a tad less confusing.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    I guess they could just use dropdown menus with a filter for each part of the "name". So it'd be [Mormolyce](normal autocomplete) - [Human](dropdown of all races) - [Priest](dropdown of all classes) - [Cho'gall](filterable dropdown for servers), with each bracketed part being a seperate box.
    I still don't think allowing duplicate names is necessary in any way, though.
    Shrug. It bothered me quite a bit when I wanted to pick a name that was perfect for my character and fit my naming pattern beautifully, but it was taken.

Bet multiboxers would like it too kek.

I'm not convinced splitting it by class is necessarily the ideal solution, but I would love a fix for the problem.

I'd say the autocomplete thing wouldn't be cumbersome if it only dropped down in the relatively rare event that there is a duplicate name on your server (or connected servers).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Tell me about it

At least guildies and alts seem to sort to the top of the list now. Sheesh.
    It still autocompletes characters I've deleted years ago for me, and I didn't even mail to them more than like once or twice.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I think its a bad idea for reasons listed above. On top of that, blizzard usually responds to tickets about realising names very fast ( I did it like 20 times) which indicates its a fairly simple/quick process, and not much of a trouble for them. The most simple and 'basic' names that tend to get quickly covered in online games are usually easy to unlock in WoW, beacause the game is very old and they were taken within first few months of live and often taken by people who quit years ago.

Deleted
    Surnames would probably be better, I'm guessing the technical limitation combined with a effort vs. gain equation has stopped them from doing this.

10+ Year Old Account
    agree with surnames. think they should have apostrophes also. for the trolls and orcs that require it to be more troolish/orcish

ot: get more originality than batmon.
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Will never happen due to greed "

What is this supposed to mean? Blizzard is too greedy to implement this obviously irresistable idea?

Deleted
    Easiest solution is to allow cyrillic letters in english character names, so one could use the cyrillic version of a letter that looks exactly the same as the latin one. Batmon contains 3 letters that could be replaced by cyrillic versions (B, a and o).

Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    An even better solution would be to use people's battle.net name as the unique identifier just like Diablo 3 and just not show the battle.net name over your char.
    It wouldn't work because you still cant send ingame mail or whispers to that player without knowing the hidden unique tag. This is not rocket science to understand why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I am talking about obvious offensive names that should be instantly filtered. It's not about people having to report it, it is about having some common sense to not use such.

"Hopeyoudie" is one of them, "Rapist" is another - seen so many that shouldn't get past the creation screen. I mean, as said, it is common sense not to call your characters that.

Of course, I don't see any offensive with King, I don't know why with that and shouldn't really be so.

And to the other main topic, as I noticed by others giving examples of suddenly very long mail names, no thanks even more.
    I agree.
    Filtering is only necessary due to stupid players.
    People shouldn't complain about blizzard responding to the worst of the playerbase, but instead they should complain about the real problem, the players prompting those filters in the first place.

Connected realms have no impact on the availability of names, since they are appended with the realm name and there can be one of the same name on every realm in a connection.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-09-05 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I don't find there to be a naming problem at all in WoW. There are so many awesome names that you can ask a GM to free up for you. I wish I could do the same in other MMOs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I don't find there to be a naming problem at all in WoW. There are so many awesome names that you can ask a GM to free up for you. I wish I could do the same in other MMOs.
    You shouldn't have to free up the name you want to use though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emariel View Post
    You shouldn't have to free up the name you want to use though.
    True that. Its anoying to the person who returns to wow after many years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    I play/played on Twisting Nether, one of the biggest EU Horde servers and never had problems coming up with a name. Of course Xxarthasxx, Zzlegolaszz, Bubbleoseven and all the other popular names are taken, but I never had to get super creative.
    Think out of the three examples you gave, Bubbleoseven would be the only acceptable one to see (in my opinion atleast) given that it's kinda funny, if the player is a paladin or a priest of course, the other two, on the other hand, are rather cringe worthy.

On topic, I wouldn't particularly want to type out the name, race, class PLUS server (should my alt be on another server), would get rather annoying after a while really.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!