Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is it worth playing Final Fantasy from scratch?

Don't question my real circumstances right now. I'm just wondering if it's worth playing Final Fantasy all the way from 1 to Lightning Returns, not counting ARR as the latest installment. I'll play some of the relevant spinoffs like Crisis Core as well.

I have no experience with this franchise, but am wondering if that level of commitment would make me happy if I enjoy JRPGs.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

10+ Year Old Account
    God yes. Final Fantasies are the most celebrated JRPGs and for good reason. All of them are classics.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    God yes. Final Fantasies are the most celebrated JRPGs and for good reason. All of them are classics.
    Why does the XIII series have such a polarizing reception then? I mean one day I'll see people claiming they're spawned from Satan, and the next day I'll hear people say they have the best gameplay in the series.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

10+ Year Old Account
    FFJ1-3 are all variations on a theme. FFJ4 is where you start to get interesting character development, and FFJ6 is the first time there is a lot of character development between a large cast of protagonists.

FFJ6 (FF3 NA) is routinely named one of the top three Final Fantasies, and is considered by many people to be the best of the series.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play the best ones like 7, 8, and 10 first and see what you think. If you like them, do the rest. They're all entirely standalone too so it doesn't matter what order you play them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Why does the XIII series have such a polarizing reception then? I mean one day I'll see people claiming they're spawned from Satan, and the next day I'll hear people say they have the best gameplay in the series.
    The first dozen FF games stuck to a very tradition JRPG formula. After X, they started changing it up. Also, the audience age gap has gotten larger with time, not to mention people have varying tastes on how they like their RPGs served.

i'm a huge fan but i won't play past 10-2 since they stop being the rpgs i new and loved, so atleast play up to that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Play the best ones like 7, 8, and 10 first and see what you think. If you like them, do the rest. They're all entirely standalone too so it doesn't matter what order you play them in.
    a very good advice!!

but i would start with ff5 or 6, then 7,8, 10.

the step from 10 to 1 is a little big... but if you like it you can play it.

they are all good games

If you play only one, play FF6. Perhaps I'm being nostalgic, but it's by far my favorite FF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it kinda does take time to get into it.
    However i recomend you skip Superbosses. They are only made to test your skill and nothing else.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Starting from 1 seems like a good idea to me. If you don't like it, try the better ones like 7 and 9.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

If you don't mind playing 16-bit, it's worth playing 4, 5, & 6. The PS-era games (7, 8, & 9) are all decent, though personally I think 9 is the best of the three as it's got a good "classic FF" feel to it as well as a fairly solid story. I think 10 is the last decent single-player FF game, and is personally my favorite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? No.

Yes, I have played every FF. Yes, I have enjoyed every single one. However it's a bit naive to believe that the classics hold up today. I mean there are remakes of the older ones that are okay but even then they really simple RPGs that would be very hard to get into today. If anyone asked me what Final Fantasy to start with I would say VI.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like the games are connected. If you're the kind of person who prefers current-gen graphics, or something close to it, you may not like the old ones as they started on the NES. Final Fantasy 10 is a good newbie-friendly game. It's more linear than the rest, and there's no ATB gauge. The older ones probably don't age well.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Give ya something to do
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by aiko-chan View Post
    However it's a bit naive to believe that the classics hold up today.
    It depends on taste. I know people that absolutely LOVE replaying the classics. Quite a few of them hold up well, too, namely FF6, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, and Super Mario RPG.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Final Fantasy 10 is a good newbie-friendly game. It's more linear than the rest, and there's no ATB gauge.
    I agree, 10 is probably the most accessible.

10 is easily the most accessible and newbie friendly.

But yeah, 6 through 10 are all really good and have a more modern feel to them despite their age. It's not as jarring as going back to like FF2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

The thing I liked about 10 is the Sphere Grid system allowed you to effectively make your own difficulty. I did a no-sphere playthrough once and it was amazingly brutal.

Keep in mind these games are not connected at all, so it doesn't really matter in what order you complete them. In fact I would start from 7 or 8 to get properly hooked with the series (9 is mt favourite, though most people I know who like 7 or 8 dont really dig 9, so maybe leave it for later in case you turn out to be one od them to avoid being put off of the series).

The original creator/director left the company after Final Fantasy X (he had some involvement with X-2). The games after it are still pretty good and have a big following, but it's also easy to see them as very different games with the Final Fantasy title slapped onto them.