Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

So I'm starting a new X-COM ironman run, and I want Gen-OTers to be my squadmembers!

I thought it would be a fun thing to do, I suppose this is probably more of a "meant for videogame section of the forum" thing but since I know you guys and I don't know them and I wanted people to be named after you guys I hope the mods let me keep it here.

For those of you who don't know, X-COM is a turn-based tactical squad shooter where you have to defend the world from aliens using squads of up to 6 soldiers on various missions. Your squadmembers are customisable and nameable, and when they die, it's permanent. Ironman mode prevents you from reloading earlier saves so you can't undo your mistakes. Impossible difficult is notoriously difficult on ironman so I'm probably going to stick to classic difficulty (one above normal, one below impossible) because I don't want you guys to all die because I'm not good enough to reliably get through on I/I, and I figured it would be fun to name some people after you all and then report back on your various accomplishments, which I will try to keep to edits in the OP so as to avoid unneccesarily bumping the thread over and over and clogging the forum up.

So, if you want to join in the fun, let me know! I need a first and last name, and a nickname. Don't put your real names in, and I'll try to make it so the surname or the nickname, not decided which is your handle on the forum, or feel free to let me know what you want to be called, along with any preferences on hair colour, armour colour etc.. Unfortunately you're all going to have to be women because I've modded it so that it doesn't generate male squadmembers but I hope you can overlook that if you are a dude. It doesn't make you gay I promise.

Let me know!

Deleted
    No way, last time you used my name you got me killed like a little bitch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    No way, last time you used my name you got me killed like a little bitch.
    That was in impossible! And it was your fault, as I recall! Also, tough, you're going in it whether you want to or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    That was in impossible! And it was your fault, as I recall!
    I only gave you my name and nickname, the rest was on you.

Tradewind Porkthrob
    "The Murdererer"

Can you mod me to remain female but have a seriously butchy voice?

I have zero preferences otherwise.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-09-05 at 08:56 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    You are a legend thats why.

Feel free to use my name, my only condition is that I am going to be white for the sake of authenticity, the rest you can choose as you see fit.

Boy I loved that game but damn was it difficult. It was like the aliens had 100% accuracy while my guys were firing shots all over the map. But now I kinda want to play it again...(prob only to be frustrated and quit within 30 min) hehehe.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure.

Trig "Conspicuous" Jegman

If I have to be female I want bobbed, neon blue hair or a cool beret.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Boy I loved that game but damn was it difficult. It was like the aliens had 100% accuracy while my guys were firing shots all over the map. But now I kinda want to play it again...(prob only to be frustrated and quit within 30 min) hehehe.
    I beat the game on classic ironman. It's actually easy to cheese it with a full squad of hover S.H.I.Vs

7+ Year Old Account
    Mister (first name) Pacwoman (last). Nickname Arcana. And I don't really care about appearance, so you can make her look however you wish. Try not to get get her killed :P

Deleted
    Done it It's too easy and I got no one except that gifted hero in the end killed. Oh and a few random privates too because I used them as fodder to draw fire during that base invasion because I have the expansion.

The key is to spam grenades if you aren't sure if you're going to hit or run into them with a shotgun.. should get close to 100% hit most of the time. RNG is going to get you killed Once you get your first laser or plasma sniper with a flying suit and group vision you're pretty much out of the woods.

Oh and OT.. Kaylee(<-my real name) Snow(obviously not real), random call sign. Lightest skin.. brown eyes and dont make me into a mech!!!
    Last edited by mmoca088d1ab30; 2014-09-05 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm....this sounds like fun, especially as xcom is so deliciously frustrating at times....

May I submit Timov 'Iphie'...can't think of a Surname... Mollari would be too obvious...eeeh... Septima then?

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love how many of us supply a nickname and expect to make it to sergeant rank.

10+ Year Old Account
    First Name: Un
    Last Name: Forgettable
    Nickname: KIA

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I love how many of us supply a nickname and expect to make it to sergeant rank.
    Well like I said earlier its easy to keep everyone alive even without being able to save on the hardest difficulty. You cant take any chances Use grenades, heavies with rocket launchers and run into enemies early on.. so what if you lose the stuff by blowing them up. Once you get a few decent assaults and snipers it gets really easy.

Deleted
    First name: Kalen
    Last name: Merrick
    Nickname: Warhound

10+ Year Old Account
    First Name: Dayne
    Last Name: Reinhart
    Nickname: Fiz

Also, Good on you for being an Xcom fan. I don't encounter many. It has been one of my favorite franchises since UFO Defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Done it It's too easy and I got no one except that gifted hero in the end killed. Oh and a few random privates too because I used them as fodder to draw fire during that base invasion because I have the expansion.

The key is to spam grenades if you aren't sure if you're going to hit or run into them with a shotgun.. should get close to 100% hit most of the time. RNG is going to get you killed Once you get your first laser or plasma sniper with a flying suit and group vision you're pretty much out of the woods.

Oh and OT.. Kaylee(<-my real name) Snow(obviously not real), random call sign. Lightest skin.. brown eyes and dont make me into a mech!!!
    Grenades and Rockets sure do make things easy. I tend to avoid using them as I try to RP a scenario where I don't want to destroy buildings or wreck the city. But damn it is tempting to just go ham on the level and tear it apart.

My usual setup is 2 snipers, 2 support and 2 assault. Though I have recently been swapping out 1 of the snipers for a heavy, just for the suppression.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Well like I said earlier its easy to keep everyone alive even without being able to save on the hardest difficulty. You cant take any chances Use grenades, heavies with rocket launchers and run into enemies early on.. so what if you lose the stuff by blowing them up. Once you get a few decent assaults and snipers it gets really easy.
    Totally true
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Okay, so, our first 4! Just taking people down the list as we go and as people die.

First mission was a resounding success, no one took a hit, though you can thank luck for a lot of that.

Considering redoing some of the colours and appearances since I'm not happy with them. All your requests have been taken into account as best I can!

Deleted
    James "Mary" Anythingyouwantasmylastname

Get him to look as close to my avatar as you can.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would love to! Revi McYouchoose. I'd like to have yellow hair and neon-green armor

loooool I am fuckin sexy.

Why the goddamn fuck do I have a fedora though?! When have I ever given the impression I wear a fedora?!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    You are a legend thats why.