Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Worst class i've leveled. Change spec?

Currently level 24 on my assassination rogue and i hate it. Leveling is okey but dungeons are horrible. Two spells and energy is gone and i have to wait literally 4-5 seconds before i can do anything. Lowest dps in all dungons. Not that i care about that at low levels but it's annoying to hear it all the time.
    This is my 9th level 90. Never had any problems leveling the other ones (except maybe for Warrior). I'm used to mana. It's simple and you dont have to think about not having enough etc.

So, will it get easier soon? Will i get a passive spell anytime soon that gives me like 100% haste (wishful thinking). Or should i change spec? I have dual dagger heirlooms so the only spec i can change to is sub.

Let me know what you think i should do. Any gameplay tips would also be great.

Thanks!

sub is far superior to level as youll kill things before you have a chance to run ooe. probably even in dungeons as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Try another spec. Most people swear by leveling Sub or Combat. Combat is nice for BF, Sub is nice to lots of quick fights with SStep, Ambush, repeat. Biggest holdup in Sub is your stealth CD; energy won't be an issue.

I did the early leveling grind in classic as combat daggers when my rotation was gouge, run behind mob, backstab, kidney shot, run behind mob, backstab, repeat, so I obviously have a very high tolerance for obnoxious leveling.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    when i level my rogue every expansion i always go combat, feels smoother and quicker to level with it.

Thanks for your answers. I will try sub when i reach 30 and hope that i will enjoy it more.

riccaz: As i said, i have 2 daggers and i don't feel like spamming dungeons again to buy weapons for combat, it's assassination or subtlety. Plus, daggers are much cooler than swords and maces i think. For rogues at least

Sub is great until you stop killing stuff in your opener at higher levels and then get screwed by positional requirements on your only decent cp builders and the fact that when solo mobs always face you. Waiting for energy to mutilate is bad, waiting for even more so that you can cc and then use a positional attack is even worse. Not an issue in dungeons though if you level that way.

If you want to perform at all in dungeons, combat is really your only choice. Blade Flurry is your only source of AOE until 66, and Adrenaline Rush is actually a potent cooldown that you get early on. I'm leveling a rogue right now, and anything other than combat in dungeons is just annoying as shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    Blade Flurry is your only real source of AOE until 66
    That should look more accurate for any AoE that doesn't live far longer than it should.

To answer the OP's other question, though, it's going to feel slow on anything other than combat AR or soloing mobs in a few seconds - until you have decent raid gear. All rogue specs are incredibly slow from L88-ilevel ~520 (the upper end is more largely personal opinion).

Deleted
    i'd go combat even with the loom daggers. its not the best for max lvl stuff, lvling its ok or try sub spec as the others have said

combat->blade flurry-> slice n dice->auto attack to victory

Bam! Top dungeon dps.

Deleted
    The worse class I've leveled up is Heal Paly : unkillable but extremely deadly slow to kill anything.

With the change to SS being 50 energy imo it killed combat leveling. You have such a slow energy regen that you feel energy starved 99% of the time. Even blade flurry is lame cause that even further kills your energy regen.

Assassination is slow until 60's for the same reason til you get the passive that makes rupture give you/refund you energy. At that point assassination becomes incredibly powerful.

Sub low level is the strongest personally. First off hemo is a low energy costing ability so you can use it more often. Secondly you can pretty much go around killing stuff super fast. With shadow focus ambush is very reduced in cost which helps with being energy starved. Premed->ambush-> evis usually kills most mobs til later levels anyways.

Sub and assassination get bonus's to leveling since they both have a passive energy regen they get I think in the 60's level range which greatly speeds up their damage. Where as combat you need to generally hit max level and full haste like a mother fucker to get anywhere. Sub has a passive with SnD so that combined with deadly momentum glyph means you basically have a constant energy regen going. Assassination gets the passive energy regen when venomous wounds ticks plus you get the extra energy it would have given you refunded when the mob dies so essentially everything you kill you re-cap your energy pool... where combat sits around energy starved QQing like a kid who dropped his ice cream.

While blade flurry is the only aoe at lower levels come higher levels with FoK assassination pulls ahead in dungeons because of their +poison damage.

Really when it comes to leveling it comes down to down time. Combat by far has the highest down time of any rogue spec leveling up so you spend the majority of your time auto attacking mobs. Mobs die very fast leveling with questing especially if you have heirlooms so really the biggest factor is how fast can you get energy to go kill the next mob?

Also with combat it's currently balanced around the use of cooldowns which you don't get until later on. IE: AoC CDR + AR/SB/KsP spam. Combat is so tightly balanced around end game with end game gear and very specific items that without all of that the spec is essentially a shadow of what it should be. Incredibly stupid design but incredibly powerful with those things. That being said you also have to use said CDs when you get them farming trash pretty much. The passive damage of combat is really low compared to the other specs so you actually get proper use out of combat you'll need to be using AR/KsP pretty much on CD to keep up with the other specs who just kinda mow through the content.

Personally I'd say level 1-50 at least as sub. At 50 you get venomous wounds as assassination and that'll make that spec really strong at that point and give you next to no down time. Especially by lv66 when you get FoK I'd say assassination is the clear winner til end game 90. Also, at 90 until you start hitting LFR SoO ilv assassination will be the higher dps because of how it scales as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithildine View Post
    The worse class I've leveled up is Heal Paly : unkillable but extremely deadly slow to kill anything.
    Eff that, I have lvld a holy priest to 60 dungeons only, though on rogue I always go with combat, top to bottom.

up untill arround lvl 40-50, level as combat or sub. Assassination will become more fun after than, and i loved leveling my rogue as assasination through burning crusade till pandaria content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Eff that, I have lvld a holy priest to 60 dungeons only, though on rogue I always go with combat, top to bottom.
    As a rogue, you should level up as Assassination or Sub (Sub is very fun and efficient in mono target with both Cloak and Dagger and Subterfuge, big lack of AoE efficiency though in Sub). Combat is the worse possible spec for leveling, I even quit trying to level up with Combat, even if I plaid combat in HL raid during several years. Far to slow, low DPS and not fun at all.
    Last edited by mmoc972a289242; 2014-09-06 at 09:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithildine View Post
    As a rogue, you should level up as Assassination or Sub (Sub is very fun and efficient in mono target with both Cloak and Dagger and Subterfuge, big lack of AoE efficiency though in Sub). Combat is the worse possible spec for leveling, I even quit trying to level up with Combat, even if I plaid combat in HL raid during several years. Far to slow, low DPS and not fun at all.
    I played combat for about 8 years, you are not going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Christhammer View Post
    Currently level 24 on my assassination rogue and i hate it. Leveling is okey but dungeons are horrible. Two spells and energy is gone and i have to wait literally 4-5 seconds before i can do anything. Lowest dps in all dungons. Not that i care about that at low levels but it's annoying to hear it all the time.
    This is my 9th level 90. Never had any problems leveling the other ones (except maybe for Warrior). I'm used to mana. It's simple and you dont have to think about not having enough etc.

So, will it get easier soon? Will i get a passive spell anytime soon that gives me like 100% haste (wishful thinking). Or should i change spec? I have dual dagger heirlooms so the only spec i can change to is sub.

Let me know what you think i should do. Any gameplay tips would also be great.

Thanks!
    Rogues are a dull class in PvE, unless you raid at a high level then I imagine the extra attention to detail makes them more fun. PvP is where Rogues were always more fun. I would always try multiple specs. especially if it's a new class for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire mage. Worst. Leveling. Spec.

EVER.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat all the way, 6.0 is right around the corner, and they said all heirloom prices would be lowered, so you can buy a pair of swords or maces.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Fire mage. Worst. Leveling. Spec.

EVER.
    What? No way! Once you get inferno blast at level 24, things get one shot with Pyroblast! I just leveled two mages, one to 90, and another to 68 recently using fire. One shotting things with Pyroblast is just too fun.

I have to agree with the OP, rogues and warriors are no fun.

Non-mana classes just aren't as fun. How nice it must be that you never have to worry about your resource. As a mage I can spam arcane explosion and always be #1. Rogues have to wait until level 66 to get fan of knives (it used to be much later), and you just hit it, and wait for energy. Same for druids.
    Last edited by ablib; 2014-09-07 at 08:04 PM.