Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Isn't that the whole... 'libertarian' mindset, though? Freedom from whatever-the-hell so long as it doesn't hurt other people? This shit hurts other people. A lot of people (unnecessarily).
    That assumes people aren't hypocrites, which they are. They forget the whole "as long as it harms no one else' part.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    That assumes people aren't hypocrites, which they are.
    Yeah no major problem with not vaccinating your kids until they get the disease it was meant to prevent.

They forget the whole "as long as it harms no one else' part.
    Thus the quotation.

10+ Year Old Account
    and this is one of the fundamental personality things that I hold dear. If the guy is an anti vaxxer, I refuse to even be acquaintances with such a dude unless the guy is open to changing his mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah no major problem with not vaccinating your kids until they get the disease it was meant to prevent.

Thus the quotation.
    I really think many of these guys just want to give the government the middle finger, no matter what the actual consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just shameful. A tragedy really. India managed to eradicate Polio a few years back because of strict vaccination programs and widespread education. I like to remember that every time I hear about a vaccinate-able disease gaining momentum, and then I cry a little bit.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Just shameful. A tragedy really. India managed to eradicate Polio a few years back because of strict vaccination programs and widespread education. I like to remember that every time I hear about a vaccinate-able disease gaining momentum, and then I cry a little bit.
    And yet Bill Gates still hasn't earned his Nobel Prize for this stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that the whole... 'libertarian' mindset, though? Freedom from whatever-the-hell so long as it doesn't hurt other people? This shit hurts other people. A lot of people (unnecessarily).
    That goes into a whole other messy area of discussion. Absolute freedom is of course a beyond terrible idea, because the result of that is going to instantaneously be the people with the most non-public power/money setting up their own local autocracies and a massive disparity in power where might = right. Absolute control is bad also. Ideally, somewhere in between is a "sweet spot" where enforced public good and public freedoms are both relatively maximized for maximum happiness.

In this, though, I'd hope that there would be a clear majority support that mandatory vaccines are something that should definitely be implemented for the overall public health.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I was about to declare you a fucking idiot, but then I saw you were a mod and gave it a second attempt to read it all to find out whether you were joking...bravo, you almost had me infracted! :P
    Oh, no worries... I'm definitely not an anti-vaccine person. I got super giddy and happy when the legislation to let my profession administer the mmr vaccine went through.

The thing that bugs me are people who absolutely refuse to believe that there are risks involved with getting vaccines.

That being said, after my wife and I looked into those risks, we decided to vaccinate our son. You hear horror stories of people's bodies suddenly failing them soon after receiving vaccinations, and it's really scary and makes you think twice about doing it. What if it happens to YOUR son/daughter?

Again, I think a lot of people who are not vaccinating are being ridiculous and not really considering what can happen if they don't. I look back to the polio vaccine. Back in our grandparents generation, polio was quite common. It was crippling, destroying. As soon as the vaccine came out EVERYONE wanted it. The streets were packed with people who wanted the vaccine. Do you think they cared about the tiny chance it had to cripple you when there is a much more likely chance they'd get polio and die/be crippled? This country has become a lot more complacent because deadly viruses are more rare (thanks to the vaccines) and so now people think that perhaps our bodies have evolved and can't catch said illness anymore because "joe-blow and their kids didn't get vaccinated and they're fine!".

The fact is, vaccines are not 100% effective, and that is why, if everyone gets vaccinated, then those people in whom the vaccines don't work are protected because nobody else is contracting the virus.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

"tea folk" Tend to not get vaccinated because they believe its a NWO/illuminati conspiracy BS i live in a town with a bunch of libertarian nuts and its no suprise that they have contributed to this, vaccinate your kids folks, stop listening to bachman and palin

Honestly most of the anti vaccers I've met are less the libertarian type and more the whole foods anti GMO crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    The thing that bugs me are people who absolutely refuse to believe that there are risks involved with getting vaccines.

That being said, after my wife and I looked into those risks, we decided to vaccinate our son. You hear horror stories of people's bodies suddenly failing them soon after receiving vaccinations, and it's really scary and makes you think twice about doing it. What if it happens to YOUR son/daughter?

Again, I think a lot of people who are not vaccinating are being ridiculous and not really considering what can happen if they don't. I look back to the polio vaccine. Back in our grandparents generation, polio was quite common. It was crippling, destroying. As soon as the vaccine came out EVERYONE wanted it. The streets were packed with people who wanted the vaccine. Do you think they cared about the tiny chance it had to cripple you when there is a much more likely chance they'd get polio and die/be crippled? This country has become a lot more complacent because deadly viruses are more rare (thanks to the vaccines) and so now people think that perhaps our bodies have evolved and can't catch said illness anymore because "joe-blow and their kids didn't get vaccinated and they're fine!".

The fact is, vaccines are not 100% effective, and that is why, if everyone gets vaccinated, then those people in whom the vaccines don't work are protected because nobody else is contracting the virus.
    Everything has a risk. However, the risks of having a side effect from the vaccine is infinitely smaller than if you happen to contract the disease. Once the disease appears, it can spread like wildfire in communities where many are not vaccinated. It happened in North Texas last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Bold is mine, obviously. But this cannot be emphasized any more. This, imo, is the biggest problem. There's certainly anti-intellectualism involved, but I feel this is a core root to it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet Bill Gates still hasn't earned his Nobel Prize for this stuff.
    Yup, but Vladimir Putin was nominated so we know the system is working!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bold is mine, obviously. But this cannot be emphasized any more. This, imo, is the biggest problem. There's certainly anti-intellectualism involved, but I feel this is a core root to it all.
    heh yeah. I had the benefit to know my grandparents until my mid 20's, and they were born in the era of polio and small pox. Hell, my grandmother on my mom's side actually got small pox (obviously survived and with no scars) so such experiences were beaten into my brain with a 2x4.

Its a shame that generation is dying out, and so will stop being able to tell of their wisdom and experiences with such diseases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything we do affects everyone else. We're all connected, economically, socially, and even physically through things like microbes. It's the fatal flaw in libertarian dogma.

If anyone wants to know the mindset of the anti vaccination crowd, you should watch their favorite show, infowars hosted by alex jones, assuming you can survive atleast 25 minutes of the constant baseless rants, you will have an idea into how their mind functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9RBXlE86Ng heres a short version
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2014-09-08 at 02:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care if people want to deny scientific fact in an effort to kill or seriously harm themselves, but when you endanger the rest of us and your own children it becomes a public health concern. These people are damned idiots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    If anyone wants to know the mindset of the anti vaccination crowd, you should watch their favorite show, infowars hosted by alex jones, assuming you can survive atleast 25 minutes of the constant baseless rants, you will have an idea into how their mind functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9RBXlE86Ng heres a short version
    Most anti-vaccination people I see IRL are American liberals.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/g1lev1/an-outbreak-of-liberal-idiocy
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Most anti-vaccination people I see IRL are American liberals.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/g1...liberal-idiocy
    To be honest, I think the root of the issue is early childhood "trauma" with needles. Every anti-vaxxer I've debated has eventually ended up admitting that they're terrified of needles. Most of them just seem to be looking for any reason to stay away from them. I also imagine people listing "religion" as an excuse to not get their kids vaccinated is because that's one thing nobody really bothers to question, religious belief. It's as if questioning whether or not that's their truly held religious belief is a stigma or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    we need to start fining people for not getting vaccinated IF THEY ARE ABLE TO BE. then maybe they will get the point.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    we need to start fining people for not getting vaccinated IF THEY ARE ABLE TO BE. then maybe they will get the point.
    I don't know if the pun at the end was intentional or not, but I do appreciate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    The most effective way to get people to vaccinate is to show them videos like this baby with whooping cough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3oZrMGDMMw
    Thanks a lot, now I have to call a cardiologist at my young age of 29, to see if they can do something about the broken heart I just acquired.