Need advice for new PC. Help appreciated.

Hello,

My laptop is now pretty old and so I've decided to look into buying a custom-built gaming PC. Now I enjoy my gaming and all, but I'm by no means tech savvy and experienced with computer parts. That being said, I managed to put something together and would appreciate input.

- Processor: Intel Core I5 4590 3.3GHz (Quad Core)
    - Motherboard: MSI H81 Chipset Motherboard
    - Memory: 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    - Hard drive: 1TB 7200 RPM
    - Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    - Operating system: Windows 8.1 64 Bit

What do you think of this build? I'd like to know if I could comfortably play games like WoW, ESO, and potentially online shooters on ultra settings with this setup (so mostly for MMOs).

Thanks in advance and for taking the time to read!

Deleted
    hi there, are u buying a laptop ? and before everyone treat u like a 5 years old by "dont waste ur money" " build it urself" (it's almost impossible to post here a pre-build without someone trying to change ur mind, but ey! ppl just want to help u) all the components u wrote are little bit old.

For the games ur asking, yes u will be able to run those game fine and smoothly +/-60ps,remember there is no pc atm that can handle wow in ultra setting in 25hc raids, but will probably have +/-30fps with this pc while raiding 25 or at big populated cities, rest of time u should have 60, for the shooters, depending on the resolution u want to play u might need 3gb of video but if its just 1080p should be more than enough to play also fine 50-60 fps

and the most important u shouldn't be paying more than $550USD(or even 600 would be my top) for that pc, more than that is a scam, unless they give u incredible financing like pay it over a year or even 2 without interest

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Hah nope, it wasn't intended to be a laptop. My budget is $700-900 so I figured I can make some significant improvements judging from your advice.

How about something like this?

CPU – Intel Core i5-4460 3.0 GHz
    Motherboard – Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PH
    Video Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 or 780 (not sure on which one)
    RAM – Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (4GBx2)
    HDD – Western Digital Blue 1TB
    Case – Thermaltake V4
    Power Supply – XFX Core Edition PRO 550W
    Optical Drive – Samsung 24x SATA DVD RW

Does this seem like a better and worthwhile build for gaming on high/ultra settings?
    (sorry I would post an actual link to the parts, but I'm a new forum user and need more posts to do so)

Thanks

Deleted
    is this still a prebuild or are u going to build it urself ? if u are going to build it urself are u going to OC the cpu?

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($189.25 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-CORE-3300-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $901.16
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-08 10:56 EDT-0400

Only thing missing in there is a storage drive which you can buy abit later since 256gb is plenty to start you gaming etc..
    Since the games you mentioned (mmo's) are more cpu heavy than gpu, you need to get the best cpu you can afford. This is way better than the one you have above plus you can overclock it.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-09-08 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khuzdul View Post
    is this still a prebuild or are u going to build it urself ? if u are going to build it urself are u going to OC the cpu?
    I suppose building would be the way to go, but I'm a bit on the fence because I've really never handled computers or put anything together like this before. Though like you said it's probably the best option. As for over-clocking, I honestly don't know enough about it that, so I'll have to do some more research on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Only thing missing in there is a storage drive which you can buy abit later since 256gb is plenty to start you gaming etc..
    Since the games you mentioned (mmo's) are more cpu heavy than gpu, you need to get the best cpu you can afford. This is way better than the one you have above plus you can overclock it.

Thank you for putting this list together! Much appreciated.
    Two newbie questions:
    - I assume I'll need to get a cd/dvd writer separately?
    - I'm going to be using wireless internet because my desk isn't near a router plugin. Should I go for something like a 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter? Only problem is it seems to have issues with Windows 8.1.

Thanks

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Two newbie questions:
    - I assume I'll need to get a cd/dvd writer separately?
    - I'm going to be using wireless internet because my desk isn't near a router plugin. Should I go for something like a 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter? Only problem is it seems to have issues with Windows 8.1.
    Yes, the drive is only about $17 if you opted to get one. The cables needed to use it come with the PSU and the Mobo. If you already have an old PC you could use the drive out of that assuming it uses the SATA cables and not the old IDE ribbons.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204

As for the network adapter, some brands work better than others but honestly you say you love your games. Wireless is pretty shit for gaming and I'm sure you've experienced the downsides to it since you seemed to have been using wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Highly recommend a solution like this and I honestly the only solution I'd ever go with besides direct connectivity. It's as basic as plugging one in the wall near your router and the other in the wall near your PC. Transfers Ethernet over power-lines. Higher quality and less drop out. You use Ethernet cables to go from the adapters to your router and PC. Be mindful it only comes with 1 ~3' cable so if you need longer cables or more than one you need to grab those as well.

Deleted
    - I don't usually include a optical drive cause there is not need for it anymore and most ppl have a old one laying around that can be used.

- You didn't mention anything about wireless so....didn't include it. Within that budget you haven't got many options. The cheap boards (115-150bucks) with wireless are all mini itx, for a proper itx you need to go 200+ which aint an option for ya. The other solution is to get a pci-e adapter, usually the intel ones give the less trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    It's as basic as plugging one in the wall near your router and the other in the wall near your PC. Transfers Ethernet over power-lines. Higher quality and less drop out. You use Ethernet cables to go from the adapters to your router and PC. Be mindful it only comes with 1 ~3' cable so if you need longer cables or more than one you need to grab those as well.
    This is a solid solution indeed, but you should note that, for it work, its must be on the same power network. And i mean the socket of the modem/router and your pc one.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    This is a solid solution indeed, but you should note that, for it work, its must be on the same power network. And i mean the socket of the modem/router and your pc one.
    True indeed, but generally that would be the 2 circuits would need to be on different panels for problems to occur (I'm aware of some exceptions but doubt they apply). This just isn't normally the case since an apartment is only going to run on a single panel and the usual house will as well. You'd have to be living in a pretty damn big house or just a funky old house. Only reason I didn't exactly mention it, but yea he could always just make sure that the 2 circuits are going to be on the same panel assuming the 2 receptacles aren't already on the same circuit anyways.

Deleted
    If you are on an apartment then yes its highly unlikely. But in a house with 2-3 storays, its common.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also really depends on the size of the house though. You won't generally move to a second panel until a 400A panel is not enough because it isn't usually cost effective to go any higher rather than a second smaller panel (something like 225A or lower), and the average single story home or mid-large (depends on your definition of large) apartment can easily run on a 150A panel. Even if the house did exceed that mark, you would generally (assuming the electrician was being logical) put the mechanical/plumbing equipment on a panel to itself and your other electrical on another panel and that wouldn't cause issues with the EoP solution. I mentioned old funky houses because larger old houses tend to have terrible wiring and it's not usually wired in any logical way possibly due to expansion or some other reason unknown to me.

But yea a bunch of overstated information. OP, if you wanted to go with that solution just verify that your circuits used are on a single panel so you don't waste your time and money. Thanks for bringing up what I probably should have despite my assumptions, Kost.

Ah wow lots of new information to take in. My bad, I should have mentioned my wireless situation in my original post--and yeah, wireless hasn't been ideal. I'm in an apartment that has very limited ethernet sockets and my own space within the apartment unit is pretty far away from them. In this case the nano powerline adapter could work like you suggested. Either that, or I have to do some considerable re-arranging hah.

Anyway, thanks for the advice all. It's been a big help.