Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

why do i keep seeing ads for shingles?

as the title states why do i keep seeing advertisements lately for the shingles virus and getting checked for it? is it becoming a problem or whats going on?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had shingles earlier this year. Thing about Shingles is that it's super contagious if you're around people who haven't had Chicken Pox, and it CAN cause permanent nerve damage. It's not real nice, and probably deserves vaccination, but most insurance policies don't cover it, and it's like a $200 shot.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I had shingles earlier this year. Thing about Shingles is that it's super contagious if you're around people who haven't had Chicken Pox, and it CAN cause permanent nerve damage. It's not real nice, and probably deserves vaccination, but most insurance policies don't cover it, and it's like a $200 shot.
    I had it too. Was a mild case and the chances of getting it again are decreased if you have had a case before. The issue with the vaccination is, it is only about 60% effective for shingles. But yeah, it can be a nasty case and if it happens to appear on your face, can spread into the eyes and lead to blindness. There is a medicine they can give you if you take it the moment you think you may be coming down with a case of it, which can halt it's spread and severity. But once the red spots appear, it is not as effective. Mine started with a mild tingling sensation on my inner left thigh. Later red spots appeared. But not many and it was not that uncomfortable actually. The doctor said I was lucky.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought this was pretty funny until I realized you actually meant shingles.

Never heard of it though, is this common where you're from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I had it too. Was a mild case and the chances of getting it again are decreased if you have had a case before. The issue with the vaccination is, it is only about 60% effective for shingles. But yeah, it can be a nasty case and if it happens to appear on your face, can spread into the eyes and lead to blindness. There is a medicine they can give you if you take it the moment you think you may be coming down with a case of it, which can halt it's spread and severity. But once the red spots appear, it is not as effective. Mine started with a mild tingling sensation on my inner left thigh. Later red spots appeared. But not many and it was not that uncomfortable actually. The doctor said I was lucky.
    Yeah, mine were on my left flank, going from my upper left back down around my kidney, then up almost to my solar plexus. It also started as a tingling (which I'd recognize now), then became mild shooting pain, then eventually to the blisters. It was never all that bad, but my boss had me stay at home until the blisters scabbed over. The doc gave me a anti-viral medication to take in the future the minute I start to feel symptoms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post

You've never heard of Shingles? I find that difficult

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post

It's common everywhere. It's just Chicken Pox that reactivates. Everyone who has had chicken pox has the virus in their system. It's just that for some people it pops up every so often, and for others it doesn't.

Deleted
    NHS claim 1 in 4 get shingles at least once in their life

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I never had chicken pox as a kid. Both my sisters caught it and my mum kept me around them, but I just never got it.
    That's unlucky

10+ Year Old Account
    I never had chicken pox as a kid. Both my sisters caught it and my mum kept me around them, but I just never got it.
    My mother did this to me, too, which is how I got it. My doctor has informed me that intentionally giving your kids chicken pox to avoid them getting it as an adult is just really really a bad idea. Especially since they can now vaccinate against chicken pox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, this was back in the early 90's, when the Docs were all for chicken pox parties (one kid gets it, classmates and friends come over to try and catch it).
    Yeah, that's what I told my doctor, and he said, "Chicken Pox parties are like the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. You can thank your mother for these Shingles."

I was surprised he was so undiplomatic about it, but he seemed to feel strongly.

Deleted
    Yeah, that's what I told my doctor, and he said, "Chicken Pox parties are like the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. You can thank your mother for these Shingles."

I was surprised he was so undiplomatic about it, but he seemed to feel strongly.
    Your doctor sounds an ass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Your doctor sounds an ass
    He kind of is. Once, when I asked for a full STD workup, he asked, "Why, did you do something bad?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had a lot of crap in my life.... But the zoster virus is luckily not one of them.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    as the title states why do i keep seeing advertisements lately for the shingles virus and getting checked for it? is it becoming a problem or whats going on?
    Baby Boomers had the chicken pox. Baby Boomers are now old.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's serving you ads based on your age, or the age it thinks you are.

10+ Year Old Account

Diplomacy in the face of stupidity is overrated.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The funny thing about shingles is that even though the whole anti vax group is mostly just a bunch of nutters this is one case where vaccinations have been observed to possibly cause some trouble. Up until they came out with a vaccine for chicken pox people that had recurring exposure to chicken pox would effectively get a booster to their resistance to shingles (they're the same virus). Now that there's a vaccine some studies have shown an upswing in incidents of shingles.

Of course after all us old people that didn't get to benefit from the chicken pox vaccine finally die off this won't be an issue anymore.
    Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    Up until they came out with a vaccine for chicken pox people that had recurring exposure to chicken pox would effectively get a booster to their resistance to shingles (they're the same virus). Now that there's a vaccine some studies have shown an upswing in incidents of shingles.
    And once we figured that out, we started giving a booster vaccine (the thing the OP is seeing ads for) to replace that "natural boosting".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

When people say "shingles" I think of rooves or beaches.