Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

supervisor gave me a Christianity pamphlet

I live in California and work customer service in a call center. Last week one of the supervisors handed me a pamphlet about Christianity and said I should take a look. This isn't the first time I've had a problem with him and religion, as he keeps bible verses up on his white board daily. How illegal is this? I typically wouldn't care but he has seemed to have a personal problem with me since i started and has acted rude to me without reason on multiple occasions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to HR, say 'hostile work environment', receive compensation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    I live in California and work customer service in a call center. Last week one of the supervisors handed me a pamphlet about Christianity and said I should take a look. This isn't the first time I've had a problem with him and religion, as he keeps bible verses up on his white board daily. How illegal is this? I typically wouldn't care but he has seemed to have a personal problem with me since i started and has acted rude to me without reason on multiple occasions.
    Giving you info on religion isn't illegal in anyway.

So put it in the bin and move on with your life. Stop letting inane shit bother you.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Go to HR, say 'hostile work environment', receive compensation.
    Yeah, and what if his HR department in its entirety goes to the same church as the supervisor in question?
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    No, but if it's part of a chronic interpersonal issue it constitutes a hostile work environment
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I'm 100% certain there are laws to keep religion out of the workplace but nothing specific to my case that I could find.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    Yeah, and what if his HR department in its entirety goes to the same church as the supervisor in question?
    I find this difficult to believe given that HR people don't have souls.

Joking aside, they tend to take hostile work environment claims fairly seriously due to the risk of litigation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bible quotes and being handed a pamphlet isn't a problem anymore than seeing someone wearing a "Repent, the end is near" sign on a street corner is.

He isn't making his faith a requirement for your work, nor is he persecuting you for yours. The professional term for your reaction is "Being an asshole about it". The minute your job becomes bound to his faith, you have a point.

Until then, he's entitled to the same 1st Amendment you are. There is no prosecution occurring, therefore you have no case.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% certain there are laws to keep religion out of the workplace but nothing specific to my case that I could find.
    Makes me wonder how there could be so many Jewish delis if that were the case.
    Bad decisions make good stories.

SMITE, free to play MOBA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I find this difficult to believe given that HR people don't have souls.

Joking aside, they tend to take hostile work environment claims fairly seriously due to the risk of litigation.
    There is no case here for hostile work environment. His boss isn't mandating anything, nor is there any implication that his lack of faith is impacting his ability to move up within the company. There is no persecution either. The OP is being a bit of a bitch about it, but nothing illegal or immoral is going on.
    Or should I?

Deleted
    Why? Is there no toilet paper over there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    There is no case here for hostile work environment. His boss isn't mandating anything, nor is there any implication that his lack of faith is impacting his ability to move up within the company. There is no persecution either. The OP is being a bit of a bitch about it, but nothing illegal or immoral is going on.
    Did you not read:

I typically wouldn't care but he has seemed to have a personal problem with me since i started and has acted rude to me without reason on multiple occasions.
    That aside, preaching is highly unprofessional conduct and I wouldn't tolerate it from any of my employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi Kass View Post
    Why? Is there no toilet paper over there?
    Maybe he doesn't know how to use the three sea shells.

I don't know the specifics but handing you some literature that you can choose to either read or toss out doesn't sound like some breach of your rights. if the guy was leading office wide prayer sessions then I could see a problem. if he keeps being rude and tries to keep pushing the religion thing then take it to HR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    Bible quotes and being handed a pamphlet isn't a problem anymore than seeing someone wearing a "Repent, the end is near" sign on a street corner is.

He isn't making his faith a requirement for your work, nor is he persecuting you for yours. The professional term for your reaction is "Being an asshole about it". The minute your job becomes bound to his faith, you have a point.

Until then, he's entitled to the same 1st Amendment you are. There is no prosecution occurring, therefore you have no case.
    I was singled out, and handed a pamphlet on Christianity when none of my bible thumping coworkers were. I honestly feel I'm receiving worse treatment because of my atheism, I'm not doing it just to be an ass.

Why make a fuss out of this ? ......bin it and move on with your work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless it's ongoing harassment/pestering to the point of negatively affecting you, he's not doing anything illegal. Inappropriate, sure, but not illegal.

Depending on how much you like the job, I'd choose something in the range of "thanks" and then privately discard it, or "I'm not interested, thanks."

If it's frequent or aggressive enough to disrupt your ability to work peacefully or interact with your boss, you should go to HR.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

ermahgerd aggressive pamphlet distribution.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are no laws specifically about religion in the workplace outside of saying that being of a certain faith cannot be grounds for termination or not hiring someone (the only exceptions being actual religious organizations themselves).

What you're referring to as "laws" is generally corporate policy. There is generally some flex involved, as long as the people involved aren't actively damaging company profits or operation with their faith. In your case, you're being a whiny prick about it, but the only thing any boss with any sense would do it just tell him to not do that again. You haven't been prosecuted, you're just looking for any excuse to punish someone for being religious.
    Or should I?